Shockproof against falls from 1.5m and waterproof to a water pressure equivalent of 3m, the newest addition to the µ [mju:] tough series keeps up with just about any active lifestyle. There’s no need to think twice about taking it along on a mountaineering trek or letting the kids take a few pictures at a picnic. Even for shots at the beach or capturing the wonder of marine life while snorkelling, the µ [mju:] 790 SW can take it all. For added fun, this 7.1Mp camera is available in a choice of four expressive colours (starry silver, midnight black, sunset orange or marine blue). This attractively styled camera also incorporates a number of exciting innovations such as Face Detection Technology – which improves the exposure and sharpness of human subjects by recognising faces in a composition and automatically optimising the settings accordingly.
Elegance and durability
Representing a winning combination of good looks and high performance, the µ [mju:] 790 SW is a real head-turner. With an exterior that’s waterproof to 3m, shockproof to 1.5m and freezeproof to -10 degrees, this model is primed and ready for use under extreme conditions. Take it skiing; take it swimming; take it wherever you go – the µ [mju:] 790 SW can take a true beating. Its stylish, metal housing comes in four colours – starry silver, midnight black, sunset orange or marine blue – making this sleekly-designed wonder even more fun. With 7.1Mp, there’s plenty of resolution for fine details, or to crop or resize images later on a computer. And the 3x optical zoom (equiv. to 38-114mm) boasts a clever inner-folded light path meaning there are no protruding parts to get knocked.
Cutting-edge imaging technologies mean that the µ [mju:] 790 SW not only impresses with its toughness – but also with the enviable results of its photos. Integrated Face Detection Technology keeps human subjects sharp and well-exposed by automatically scanning the composition for faces and then adjusting the settings accordingly for an optimal outcome. A high ISO setting allows for increased sensitivity, which – when used in conjunction with BrightCapture Technology – yields significantly brighter results in low-light conditions. In addition, the powerful new TruePic III image processor works to deliver the truest colour reproduction, improved noise performance and faster overall camera speed. Furthermore, image results will closely reflect what the human eye sees – even under shadowy conditions. Thanks to Shadow Adjustment Technology, dark sections in a composition are identified and the exposure intelligently adjusted in these areas for the most realistic results.
23 scene modes, including four underwater modes, mean that getting the right settings in just about any photo situation is a cinch. Meanwhile, with 25 languages on board virtually everyone can navigate the menus in their desired language. Internal memory plus an xD-Picture Card slot allow the storage capacity to be easily expanded. Furthermore, the PT-041 underwater case is optionally available for additional fun up to 40m below the water’s surface.
The Olympus µ [mju:] 790 SW – main features:
- Withstands everyday knocks as it’s shockproof up to 1.5m
- Exciting shots in and by the water as it’s waterproof to 3m
- Face Detection Technology for perfectly focused and exposed faces plus correct exposure for other image areas
- 6.4cm/2.5in HyperCrystal LCD (230,000 px resolution) with a bright display even in brilliant sunlight
- High ISO settings for less blur
- 7.1Mp to make poster-sized prints
- 3x optical zoom (equiv. to 38-114mm on a 35mm camera) 1:3.5-5.0 for stunning portraits, with optical folded light path and water-repellent lens coating
- Better low-light shooting thanks to BrightCapture Technology
- 23 scene modes for the best results in different situations
- Liven up your memories with movie recording plus sound
- TruePic III image processor for faster image handling and higher image quality
- Underwater shooting up to water pressure equivalent of 40m possible in combination with optional underwater case PT-041
- Shadow Adjustment Technology to brighten shadowy areas in a composition
- Metal exterior in four colours (starry silver, midnight black, sunset orange or marine blue)
- One-touch light and LED Macro Illuminator
- Internal memory plus xD-Picture Card slot
- 25 languages on board
- Supplied with Olympus Master software 2.03 and Muvee Pack trial version, LI-42B battery and charger