The Panasonic Lumix FZ72 (aka FZ70) packs the world's longest zoom on a bridge camera, which at 60x offers an equivalent range of 20-1200mm. The camera features a 16 megapixel sensor, full HD video, and a new wind shielded stereo microphone.
The zoom can also be extended to a 120x equivalent whilst maintaining picture quality thanks to Intelligent Resolution Technology / Digital zoom. A 1.7x tele conversion lens (DMW-LT55) will also be available seperately to boost the optical zoom to 102x as shown above.
Panasonic Lumix FZ72 Features
The camera features a 16.1 megapixel MOS sensor, light speed AF and Power OIS, as well as HD video recording, full manual control and a flash hot-shoe. It is capable of shooting 9fps at full resolution, and 5fps with continous AF.
16.1 megapixel MOS sensor
60x optical zoom lens, 20-1200mm equivalent
POWER O.I.S. (Optical Image Stabilizer) with Active Mode
3 inch screen, 460k dots
Electronic viewfinder, 202k dots
Full HD video with stereo sound, Wind Shield Zoom Microphone
9fps continuous shooting, 5fps with continuous AF
ISO100 - ISO3200
1cm Macro focus
HDR, Panoramic, RAW shooting, Manual controls
Panasonic Lumix FZ72 Handling
- The plastic bodied camera has a large hand grip with a rubber grip around the front, as well as a decent sized thumb grip on the back, although the back grip is just textured plastic rather than rubber. The styling of the camera gives it the look of a Digital SLR, with a number of external buttons and controls, giving quick access to settings including dedicated continuous shooting, focus, video, AF/Macro/MF, AE Lock buttons, with the last button doubling as a customisable Function / Fn button. A second Fn button can be found on the 4-way controller. To switch between the rear screen and the electronic viewfinder you simply use the LVF button.
– The Panasonic menus are clearly laid out with clear descriptions of settings and options. The Q.Menu brings up an overlay of options so you can quickly change settings without having to drop into the menus.
- Battery life is rated at 400 shots according to Panasonic / CIPA test results, which is quite good. The camera was quick to switch on and focus seemed to perform well, although we will need to get the camera in to ours studio before conducting our usual speed test.
Panasonic Lumix FZ72 Performance
Additional sample photos and product shots are available in the Equipment Database
, where you can add your own review, photos and product ratings.
Panasonic Lumix FZ72 Outdoor images
The camera has performed well on Safari at Longleat, where the weather was not ideal, with mostly grey cloud. Despite this the camera has produced a number of sharp results, even when using the full 60x optical zoom lens, which is the equivalent of 1200mm in 35mm terms.
The 60x optical zoom lens gives a much wider view than the majority of other ultra zoom bridge cameras, starting at 20mm, and will zoom to 1200mm equivalent, which is what a number of other 50x zoom cameras are capable of. However it's when used in combination with the optional 1.7x tele conversion lens that you can see the huge appeal of the camera. Although it's quite likely that to get the best results from this combination a tripod and good weather will be required.
We've shown an example above, resized, as we were using the camera handheld, to show the difference between 60x optical zoom, and then with the 1.7x tele conversion lens attached.
Panasonic Lumix FZ72 ISO test images
ISO Noise Performance
- The ISO range available goes from ISO100 to ISO3200, with higher ISO sttings available in High Sensitivity mode. Once we have the camera in our office for testing, we will be able to post our usual ISO test images.
- Video can be recorded as AVCHD / 50i or MP4 / 25p at full HD resolution of 1920 x 1080. The lens has additional reach in video recording mode, equivalent to 22 - 1320mm in 35mm terms. Video is stabilised using the camera's active mode optical image stabilisation and appears to work well. Additional videos can be found on the ePHOTOzine YouTube channel
Value For Money
Panasonic Lumix FZ72 is available for around £365 which makes it a little more expensive than the competition, but not by much, and is up against the following ultra-zoom cameras, although it is one of very few with an ultra wide-angle lens, however the Kodak PIXPRO AZ521 has slightly more telephoto reach:
Kodak PIXPRO AZ521
- 52x, 24-1248mm equivalent, no EVF, £249
Fujifilm FinePix SL1000
- 50x, 24-1200mm equivalent, £257
Sony Cyber-shot HX300
- 50x, 24-1200mm equivalent, £325
Canon Powershot SX50HS
- 50x, 24-1200mm equivalent, £349
You'll also need to buy a memory card
and a case or bag to keep your camera safe and protected - have a look at our complete guide to camera bags
Panasonic Lumix FZ72 Verdict
The Panasonic Lumix FZ72 boasts an impressive 60x optical zoom lens, however, as the lens starts at the ultra wide-angle equivalent of 20mm, the telephoto reach is the same as other 50x optical zoom lens cameras, with 1200mm equivalent at the telephoto end. If you want an ultra wide-angle lens, then this is one of the widest available, and with a high speed sensor, fast continuous shooting, quick focus, full HD video, optical image stabilisation, flash hot-shoe, full manual controls and raw shooting, the Panasonic Lumix FZ72 should be more camera than you could possibly wish for! If on the other hand you want more, then the Panasonic Lumix FZ72 can reach even further with the optional 1.7x tele conversion lens, giving you a whopping 102x optical zoom!
Once we have the camera in our office for review, we will update this review with our full test results, as well as additional sample photos.
Panasonic Lumix FZ72 Specifications
|Max Aperture||f/2.8 - f/5.9|
|35mm equivalent||20mm - 1200mm|
|Sensor Type||Live MOS Sensor|
|Sensor Size||1/2.3 inch|
|Sensor Size (width)||No Data|
|Sensor Size (height)||No Data|
|Screen resolution||460k dots|
- Face Detection
- AF Tracking
|Shutter speeds shortest||1/2000sec|
|Shutter speeds longest||60sec|
- Scene modes
- Program Variable
- Centre-weighted - Average
- Multi Pattern
- Centre Spot
|ISO sensitivity||100 - 6400|
- 1920x1080 FullHD
- 1280x720 HD 720p
|Video FPS||50i, 25p|
|Optical Zoom with Video||Yes|
|Battery Type||Li-ion Battery Pack|
|Battery Life (CIPA rating)||400shots|
|Box Contents||Battery Pack, Battery Charger, USB Cable, Shoulder Strap, CD-ROM, Lens Cap, Lens Cap String|
View Full Product Details