Panasonic has announced the new Panasonic Lumix GX1 - a spiritual successor to the GF1 - the camera is a new premium compact system camera designed to meet the needs of advanced photographers, with a 16 megapixel sensor, as featured in the Panasonic Lumix G3, ultra high speed focusing of 0.09 seconds with the 14-42 X lens, it will be available in December in Silver or Black from £499 body only. The camera also adds MP4 video recording as an option if you don't want to record in AVCHD.
Along with the new camera, Panasonic has announced the new DMW-LVF2 - a new tiltable electronic viewfinder with 1.44 million dots.
For more information have a look at our Panasonic Lumix GX1 First Impressions Review.
Panasonic Lumix GX1 Features
- 16mp Live MOS Micro Four Thirds sensor
- 3inch 3:2 Touch screen
- ISO160 to ISO12800
- 4.2fps shooting at full resolution, 9 RAW, unlimited JPEG
- 20fps at 4 megapixels
- Remote socket
- Upto 340 shot battery life with 14mm lens
- Rubber grip
From Panasonic: 7th November 2011 05:00 GMT
The Panasonic LUMIX GX1: Ultra-stylish photography in the palm of your hand
The LUMIX GX1, the newest addition to Panasonic’s LUMIX G range, lets you take your photography to the next level in an interchangeable lens camera small enough to fit in your jacket pocket. With a chic style, exceptional image quality and intuitive features that help you get the perfect shot every time, the LUMIX GX1 is designed to be your companion for all of life’s precious moments.
Style in your pocket
Available in Gunmetal Grey and Raven Black, the LUMIX GX1’s elegant design is evocative of a quintessentially classic camera. Easy to handle, weighing just 413 grammes and sporting a sturdy but sleek aluminium chassis, you can rely on the LUMIX GX1 for quality photography wherever you are.
High quality, creative photography made simple
Panasonic’s range of LUMIX G micro system cameras provide the perfect option if you’re looking to improve the quality of your photography without having to use a large, complicated and heavy DSLR camera. The LUMIX GX1’s 16.0-megapixel image sensor is far larger than those found in point-and shoot cameras, while the intuitive automatic shooting modes, including touch Auto Focus (AF), and the full range of advanced features mean you can easily capture your world as you see it.
Speed to match your busy lifestyle
For exceptional photography on the go, speed is of the essence. A high-speed and extremely precise AF lets you capture all moments you want to remember without missing a thing. At 0.09 seconds, the GX1 has the fastest AF speed among Compact System Cameras1, while the Burst Shooting speed of up to 20 Frames per Second means you can get the perfect shot of even a fast-moving object.
Designed to give you more
Barnaby Sykes, Product Manager, for LUMIX G, Panasonic UK comments: “High quality photography is no longer limited to the professionals. With our LUMIX G range, we were the first in the segment of Compact System Cameras, revolutionising the market with small, lightweight and stylish cameras that enable the incredible shots that are normally reserved for heavier and larger DSLRs. The LUMIX GX1 is the next step in this process. Alongside our wide range of LUMIX G lenses for every occasion, the LUMIX GX1 puts ultra-stylish photography in the palm of your hand.”
The perfect fit
Panasonic’s LUMIX G range is available with the world’s widest line-up of dedicated Compact System Camera lenses to choose from with 14 interchangeable lenses, making sure that with the LUMIX GX1 you have the set-up to capture every moment. These include Panasonic’s new pancake lens sized 14-42mm X Zoom lens, part of it new range of ultra-compact electronic power zoom ‘X’ lenses, which makes the perfect fit for high quality photography in your pocket.
- Exceptional image quality: With a 16.0-megapixel Live MOS Four Thirds Sensor and the high-end image processor Venus Engine, the LUMIX GX1 provides the exceptional image quality and low-light sensitivity at up to ISO 12800.
- Stylish, ultra-compact and lightweight: With a unique luxurious design, the LUMIX GX1 is designed to become part of your everyday style, whilst being lightweight and small enough to your companion wherever you go.
- Assisting your creativity: Behind the beautifully classic chassis, the LUMIX GX1 hides the simple, intuitive controls and advanced functions to help you get more from your photography. The camera puts you in control, allowing you to assign your own settings to the two external buttons and two menus in the software tab for quick and easy use. With pinpoint AF in just 0.09 seconds, the GX1 lets you take perfect photography on the go with ease. AF modes include multiple-area AF, Face Detection, and AF Tracking, which allows the LUMIX GX1 to lock onto any subject and keep it in focus even if it moves. Meanwhile the integrated flash will let you take the perfect shots, whatever the light level. You can even take 3D photos with the special digital interchangeable lens that makes 3D photo shooting possible.
- The control to help make the most of every shot: The LUMIX GX1’s intuitive touch screen lets you have full control over your photos. Focus and defocus can be set immediately to the subject or to the background, with just one touch of the large LCD screen, while Panasonic’s Intelligent Auto Plus (iA+) functions let you take professional-level shots, even if you’re a beginner or need to shoot at a moment’s notice.
- Capture your memories with Full HD Movie capability: The quality advances of the LUMIX GX1 are not restricted to still photos. The 16.0-megapixel sensor means the camera can record in Full HD AVCHD 1920 x 1080, 50i, with stereo sound, producing professional movie quality with minimal noise. With long recording times, instant access controls, an advanced AF system and LUMIX G lenses specifically designed for movie shooting, the LUMIX GX1 will allow you to capture the perfect movies with ease. The AVCHD format also provides the best in both compression efficiency and compatibility with AV equipment for viewing.
Pricing and availability
The LUMIX GX1 will be available in the following versions:
LUMIX GX1 – Body only
Will be available from mid December
Panasonic eShop £499.99
LUMIX GX1K – with the H-FS014042 lens
will be available from mid December
Panasonic eShop £599.99
LUMIX GX1X – with the H-PS14042 lens
will be available from mid January
Panasonic eShop £729.99
Panasonic Lumix GX1 Specifications
|Sensor Type||Live MOS Sensor|
|Sensor Size||Micro / Four Thirds|
|Sensor Size (width)||17.3mm|
|Sensor Size (height)||13mm|
|Screen resolution||460k dots|
- Face Detection
- AF Tracking
- Touch AF
|Shutter speeds shortest||1/4000sec|
|Shutter speeds longest||60sec|
- Centre-weighted - Average
- Multi Pattern
|ISO sensitivity||160 - 12800|
|Viewfinder Resolution||No Data|
- 1280x720 720p
- 640x480 VGA
|Video FPS||30fps, 25fps|
|Optical Zoom with Video||Yes|
|Battery Type||Lithium Ion 7.2v, 1010mAh|
|Box Contents||Battery Charger, Body Cap(DMC-GX1K and DMC-GX1 only), USB Connection Cable, Shoulder Strap, CD-ROM * Body cap not included for DMC-GX1X kit and DMC-GX1W kit ** Lens rear cap of H-H014 lens not included for DMC-GX1W Kit|
View Full Product Details