a ultra-compact dimensions and an attractive aluminium exterior, the OptioS40
is comfortable in the hand, highly portable, and strikingly stylish. It features
an array, of easy-to-operate functions that ensure attractive results regardless
of user experience. It also delivers truly satisfying detail and clarity with
4.0 effective megapixel performance. Whats more the camera also has the
powerful advantage of a lens offering 3X optical zoom versatility, which can
be combined with approximately 2.6X digital zoom for impressive 8X (approx.)
zooming freedom. A compact digital camera thats exceptionally easy for
anyone to use, yet offers customization capability to suit the tastes of each
individual, the OptioS40 is the superior choice as a camera to be shared by
families, by co-workers, by anyone.
Ultra-compact, sophisticated design
- Embracing the unique PENTAX Sliding Lens system, the OptioS40 achieves
exceptionally compact dimensions.
- Compatible with two AA batteries and has an attractive aluminium exterior
made more appealing through the addition of vertical and horizontal hairline
- Small enough to be comfortably worn about the neck or easily slipped in
the pocket, the OptioS40 is ideal for the capture of opportunities, wherever,
4.0 effective megapixel clarity
- For exceptional clarity in all shots extending from scenery to macro shooting,
the OptioS40 has the imaging power of 4.0 effective megapixels.
- A primary colour filter and advanced imaging technologies achieve brighter,
more natural colours and a noticeable enhancement in image quality in general.
Ultra-compact, 3X optical zoom lens
- The OptioS40 features an smc PENTAX lens one of a series renowned
the world over for sheer, superior quality.
- 3X optical zoom capability with a focal range covering angles of view equivalent
to those of a 35-105mm lens in 35mm format, it allows extreme freedom of composition.
- It is comprised of 5 groups of 6 elements crafted entirely from glass,
and features two lenses crafted to be aspherical on each side.
- For further capability, the optical zoom can also be augmented with 2.6
X (approx.) digital zoom too, achieving total zooming power of a satisfying
- All buttons and controls have been located within easy reach when in a ready-to
- All buttons on the back of the camera have been made bigger for easier manipulation.
- A handy mode dial is employed to allow virtually effortless selection from
the impressive array of shooting modes.
- To offer the utmost in customized, easy operation, the OptioS40 allows four
frequently used functions to be selected from a choice of ten (recording size,
image quality, exposure compensation, metering, white balance, sharpness,
saturation, contrast, ISO, and AF area).
- These can then be assigned to the left and right elements of the four-way
controller for access when the dial position is set in modes other than Auto
Select, Movie, and Voice recording.
9-position mode dial
Shooting modes can be easily selected with a handy dial positioned in the middle
of the top surface. Simply set the dial to one of the nine modes described below
and let the camera take care of all relevant settings automatically.
1. Auto Select Taking care of all settings automatically. It also features
a help function that displays easy explanations of different button functions.
2. Portrait Specially designed to capture skin tones in an altogether
more natural, flattering manner.
3. Landscape Makes it easy to capture the expansive beauty of wide-open
4. Night scene Captures a significant amount of detail while retaining
the true mood of shots taken in low light.
5. Movie* Allows the user to record video accompanied by the advantage
*Recorded movies can be viewed using ACDSee for PENTAX (on systems with QuickTimeTM
6. Voice recording Allows the user to record voice messages.
7. Digital effect Offers a range of digital effects for the creation
of interesting images, with 8 digital filters, 2 in 1, Panorama Assist functions.
8. Program Leaves all settings to the camera for spur-of- the-moment
9. Picture Allows the user to choose one of 10 different settings to
swiftly make the most of the situation at hand.
Simple shooting with 10 Picture modes
In addition to placing Portrait, Landscape, and Night scene modes directly
on the mode dial, the OptioS40 also offers 10 picture modes with exceptionally
easy access. All you have to do is just select the icon most appropriate for
the scene, compose, then capture.
1. Flower Specially designed to bring out the vivid colour and intricate
detail of flowers.
2. Self-portrait Delivers sharp results and glittering tones when you
point the camera to yourself to take a shot.
3. Surf Counteracts the problems associated with reflections of light
off water enabling pleasing, appropriate exposure throughout the frame.
4. Snow Helps to maintain true colour and avoid the detrimental effects
of excessive reflections off snow.
5. Sunset mode Designed to capture the warmth and romance of sunrise
and sunset scenes.
6. Museum Allows optimal exposure while ensuring the flash doesnt
7. Text Developed to capture written material in a manner that maximizes
8. Food Helps to achieve natural colour, convey convincing texture,
and communicate the real freshness of food.
9. Landscape Portrait Designed to clearly capture portrait along with
10. Marine Marine mode makes it easy to capture natural colours when
shooting underwater. You can also choose to shoot soundless movies underwater
too. *When the OptioS40 is housed within an optionally available waterproof
Digital effect modes
With a choice of digital filters, 2 in 1, and Panorama Assist functions,
the OptioS40 opens up a range of exciting creative avenues.
8 digital filters Users can emphasize key colours of the original scene
or add an entirely different mood altogether by using digital filters (black
and white, sepia, red, green, blue, B&W with red, B&W with green, and
B&W with blue).
2 in 1 The handy 2 in 1 function cuts a single frame in two, allowing
two different images to be recorded side by side.
Panorama Assist Users can follow the cameras simple guidance to
take a series of horizontal or vertical shots. These can then easily be aligned
and combined on a PC using the software provided to create one large image that
captures expansive scenes in their entirety.
Help function in Auto Select mode Help function can be easily accessed
when in both recording and playback modes, displaying simple explanations of
all button functions on the screen.
PictBridge compatibility The OptioS40 supports PictBridge, a new direct-print
standard released by CIPA (Camera and Imaging Production Association). With
this advantage, the OptioS40 can be connected directly to a printer that supports
PictBridge via USB cable and offer control over printing, resizing, digital
filter, and other functions all without the need for a PC.
Other helpful features
- USB mass storage class compatibility
- Exclusive ACDSee for PENTAX for easy graphic conversion, album creation,
- Built-in auto flash
- Convenient LCD monitor
- Optical viewfinder
- Nine-image and Zoom display
- Convenient self-timer
- Continuous shooting
- Macro mode, Infinity-landscape mode
- Manual focus
- Options for autofocus (Spot AF, 5point autofocus)
- White balance settings
- Histogram display
- 3 choices for metering (Multi-segment metering, centre-weighted metering,
and spot metering)
- Various sensitivity
- Exposure compensation
- Settings for sharpness, saturation, and contrast
- Image protection
- Mode memory function
- World time function
- DPOF compatibility
- Exif Print and PRINT Image Matching II* compatibility
- Approximately 11MB of built-in memory
- SD memory card compatibility
- Resize function
- Voice memo function
- Av (video/audio) output terminal
- Operation in 9 languages
- AC adapter
- Waterproof case (O-WP3) For depths of up to 40m.
- Remote control unit