The Optio43WR has a 2.8X zoom and 4.0 effective megapixels but it's the JIS
Class 7 waterproof ability that sets it apart from other cameras. This allows
shots to be taken in situations that are off limits to most other compact digital
Shoot in the rain or snow, by the pool, in the kitchen with the confidence
of clarity, comfort born of design, and the resilience of rubber-protection
on each of its four corners.
2.8X optical zoom lens
- It is easy to achieve everything from expansive shots of scenery to tightly
composed portraits with the 2.8X optical zoom lens equivalent to a 37-104mm
lens in 35mm format.
- The zoom lens do not protrude from the body of the camera.
- The optical zooming capability can also be combined with 4X digital zoom,
enabling a total of 11.2X zooming power with smooth lever operation.
Shoot anywhere, at any time
- Rust-resistant metal, proprietary rubber sealants, and additional protection
are employed for the surface of the lens.
- These factors open up a new world of photographic potential, allowing the
user to shoot in the rain, by the pool, on the beach.
- Even the microphone employs a specially designed membrane that allows only
sound, not moisture, to permeate and the entire camera can even be rinsed
under a tap.
- Once youve activated the handy Quick start setting, theres no
need to switch the power on prior to shooting.
- Just press the shutter release button and the Optio43WR automatically selects
Snap mode, so youre ready to capture the action whenever an opportunity
Satisfyingly swift response
- For full-fledged waterproof performance, a refraction optical unit is employed
in the lens.
- The zoom lens operates throughout its entire focal range without protruding
from the camera body.
- The Optio43WR offers the additional benefit of swift response enabling
shooting only 0.9 seconds after the power has been switched on.
- When theres not even time to think about focus, selection of Snap
mode ensures sharp results automatically.
- The camera also excels in the capture of fast-moving subjects with its release
lag of just 0.05 seconds* from one shot to another.
- It requiring only a single touch of a standalone button to switch between
modes from shooting to playback.
- While in the playback mode, just a press of the shutter will take you back
- Time taken from the moment when the shutter release is fully depressed following
focus lock to the moment the shutter opens, when the flash is switched off.
Movies* with smooth, refined quality 640 x 480 recording pixels at
30 fps with audio
- With a newly developed high-speed CCD and innovative image processing circuitry,
the Optio43WR allows you to record movies with images composed of 640 x 480
- Movie quality is also accelerated with the power of 30fps performance (double
the conventional rate)
- Movies can be recorded to the capacity of your chosen memory media.
*To record movies at 30fps, an SD card with a high transfer speed is required.
Recorded movies can be viewed using ACDSee for Pentax (on systems with QuickTimeTM
The power of 4.0 effective megapixels
- Despite its overall rugged design, the Optio43WR achieves delicate detail
with the advantage of 4.0 effective megapixels.
- Added with a primary colour filter, it reproduces natural, clear tones
regardless of the subject.
- The result? An obvious increase in overall image quality.
Wide-ranging shooting modes
An array of shooting modes is available on the virtual mode dial on the
LCD display for easy access.
Simply select the one most suited to your subject from a choice of 12, then
1. Program mode Allows you to take control over a combination of functions
2. Landscape mode Captures the sheer sense of space in scenic shots
while emphasizing the different shades of land and sky.
3. Night scene mode Provides satisfying results with minimal effort
for shots of night scenes.
4. Night scene portrait mode Allows you to capture detail in low natural
light, with a small burst of flash that highlights the foreground subject.
5. Portrait mode Captures natural looking skin tones for more flattering
results when shooting people.
6. Surf Counters the common problems associated with water that reflects
light to provide appropriate exposure throughout the frame.
7. Flower mode Ideal for capturing the natural detail, colour, and
beauty of flowers.
8. Snow Maintains colour the way you see it and avoids the effects
of excess reflection.
9. Fireworks mode Ideal for capturing the vivid colours and excitement
10. Snap mode Allows you to capture your subject in an instant with
the assurance of automatic pan focusing.
11. Movie Allows the user to select recording pixels from a choice
of 640 x 480, 320 x 240, or 160 x 120. The user can also take control over
frame rate, selecting between 30fps and 15fps at will. Theres even colour
selection which provides a choice of full colour, B&W, and Sepia shooting.
Finally, for the utmost in convenience, all files are stored in MOV format
for easy playback on PC.
12. Panorama Assist mode When scenes are so expansive they simply
cannot be captured in a single shot. However, Panorama Assist allows multiple
pictures to be taken horizontally or vertically following the cameras
guidance. These can then be aligned and combined on a PC using the simple-to-use
Digital filters add creativity even after shooting
- Digital filters can be applied after the shot has been recorded.
- Select from an impressive choice of 10 comprising black and white,
sepia, red, pink, purple, blue, green, yellow, soft and brightness.
- Select purple to add impact to sunset shades, add brightness to darker shots,
or experiment with different filters for a wide range of imaginative results.
It is easy to add speech or other sounds to a single recorded still or movie.
It can then be left as a message for someone in your absence. For easy recognition,
there's also a red light that signals there's a message.
Nine image/zoom display The LCD monitor can show nine recorded images
at the same time to speed the search for recorded shots,. Each image can also
be magnified by 8X to allow closer checking for focus and detail.
White balance modes
The Optio43WR offers auto, daylight, shade, tungsten, and fluorescent light
settings to ensure appropriate white balance in different situations. It also
has a manual setting that allows you to make the decision yourself or experiment
to achieve different results.
Metering options Simply select from Spot metering, Multi-segment metering,
and Centre-weighted metering to achieve the optimal results for the subject
Sensitivity settings Light sensitivity can be adjusted to suit your
aims or circumstances with a choice ranging from equivalent to ISO50 for minimized
noise, to ISO100, 200, and 400 equivalence.
Macro mode Macro mode allows the user to shoot from as close as 1cm
from the subject, filling the frame with small objects such as stamps, for example,
when the zoom is at the wide-angle setting.
Multiple continuous shooting
With just a single press of the shutter release, this mode takes four consecutive
shots, yet records them as one frame capturing all the action in just
A recorded image be used as the start-up screen or as the screen that accompanies
the alarm function. Background images for the menu screen can also be selected
from 6 preset images.Its also easy to select from 3 different sounds to
accompany start-up, shutter release, and button operation. You can also record
your own favourite sounds for use with the self-timer and alarm functions.
The Optio43WR supports PictBridge a new direct-print standard released
by the CIPA (Camera and Imaging Products Association). Just connect the Optio43WR
via USB to a printer supporting PictBridge to make printouts of recorded images
without the need for a PC and utilize other handy direct functions such as resizing,
trimming, and digital filters.
Other convenient features
- USB mass storage class compatibility
- Useful software included (a CD-ROM that features the ACDSee for Pentax application.)
- Built-in auto flash
- Handy LCD monitor
- Optical viewfinder
- Resize function
- Voice memo function
- Histogram display
- Alarm with snooze function
- Noise reduction function
- Settings for sharpness, saturation, and contrast
- Exposure compensation
- Interval shooting
- Convenient self-timer
- World time function
- DPOF function
- Operation in 8 languages
- AV (video/audio) output terminal
- Various power sources including common AA batteries
Compact-type digital still camera with built-in zoom lens, autofocus,
auto exposure and auto flash. Water resistant design (JIS class 7)
|Total pixels 4.23 megapixels
1/2.7 inch interline transfer CCD with a primary colour filter
Recorded Pixels Still 2288 x 1712 pixels, 1600 x 1200 pixels, 1024 x
768 pixels, 640 x 480 pixels
Movie 640 x 480, 320 x 240 pixels, 160 x 120 pixels
||Auto, fixed (equivalent to ISO50, 100, 200, 400)
Still JPEG (Exif 2.2), DCF, DPOF, PRINT Image Matching II
Movie AVI (Motion JPEG format), approx.30fps or 15 fps, with sound
|| SD memory card
Pentax power zoom 5.7mm-16mm (equivalent to 37mm-104mm in 35mm format)f/2.8-f/3.9,
10 elements in 7 groups (3 aspherical element)
| 1X - 4.0X
Type TTL contrast detection autofocus system
Manual focus/Infinity-landscape mode available
5-point autofocus, spot autofocus
Autofocus Normal: 0.3m (0.98ft) to infinity
Macro: 0.01m (0.033ft) to 0.5m (1.64ft) at 5.7mm (equivalent to
37mm in 35mm format), 0.2m (0.66ft) to 0.5m (1.64ft) at 16mm (equivalent
to 104mm in 35mm format)
||0.01m (0.033ft) to infinity
| Metering System
|| TTL metering: Choice of Multi-segment metering, Centre-weighted
metering, Spot metering
Program, Picture mode, Movie, Panorama assist Picture mode Landscape,
Night scene, Night scene portrait, Portrait, Surf, Snow, Flower, Firework,
||During playback mode: Black & White, Sepia,
Red, Pink, Purple, Blue, Green, Yellow, Soft, Brightness
||±2 EV (1/3 steps)
|Movie Shooting time
|| From approx. 1 sec. to memory card capacity.
||Full colour, sepia, or black and white
|| Programmed AE electronic lens shutter with CCD electronic
|| Approx. 1/2000 sec. to 4 sec.
|| One shot, Continuous, Multiple Continuous, Self-timer, Interval
Built-in series-control auto flash. Automatic discharge under low lighting
conditions in auto modes. Flash-on and Flash-off modes. "Red-eye"
reduction function also available.
Approx. 0.1m - 2.9m (0.33ft - 9.5ft) (5.7mm at sensitivity Auto) Approx.
0.5m - 2.1m (1.64ft - 6.9ft) (16mm at sensitivity Auto)
|| Auto, Daylight, Shade, Tungsten light, Fluorescent light,
Actual-image zoom viewfinder
1.6 inch, TFT colour LCD (Approx. 85,000 pixels)
||World Time Displays the time in 62 cities (28 time zones)
Displays an image with alarm (max. three memory settings). Snooze function
English, French, German, Spanish, Italian, Russian, Chinese (Traditional/Simplified),
Print mode Single image print, All images print, DPOF auto print
AV output terminal, USB terminal, DC input terminal
|| Compatible with NTSC and PAL formats
One Lithium battery CR-V3(allows approximately500 shots to be taken*)
, two AA batteries (lithium, alkaline, nickel-manganese and rechargeable
Ni-MH). Optional AC adapter also available.
|| 81.5(W) x 76(H) x 30.5(D)mm (3.2 x 3.0 x 1.2 inches) (Excluding
208g ( 7.3 oz.) loaded and ready
160g (5.6 oz.) without battery and SD memory card