Pentax Imaging Systems announces the launch of its latest digital SLR camera – the K-r. Encased in a compact, lightweight body, this new model combines simple, user-friendly functions with a wide array of advanced features, designed to enhance the fun and excitement of digital SLR photography.
Developed to be a mid-range model targeted at digital SLR novices and family users, the Pentax K-r offers an assortment of features and functions that make it easy for everyone to effortlessly capture the high-quality images people expect of a digital SLR camera.
In addition it comes equipped with a host of handy tools that help create more personalised, creative images, including:
- High-quality image reproduction with approximately 12.4 effective megapixels.
- HDTV-proportion movie recording.
- High-speed continuous shooting at approximately six images per second.
- Super-high-sensitivity shooting at ISO 25600 (via a custom function).
- A large, easy-to-view 3.0-inch high-resolution colour LCD monitor.
The K-r boasts outstanding performance and versatility, almost the equivalent of more advanced digital SLR cameras, while allowing the photographer to easily deal with different photographic requirements. Its dual-power-source design offers a choice between the standard rechargeable lithium-ion battery and a set of AA-size batteries.
It is also compatible with the IrSimple high-speed infrared data transmission system for wireless data transfer to IrSimple-compatible devices, and for swift image data exchange.
What are its key functions?
In addition it has...
- High-quality, true-to-life image reproduction: The K-r incorporates a new-generation CMOS image sensor with approximately 12.4 effective megapixels. It also features the high-performance PRIME (Pentax Real Image Engine) II imaging engine to ensure accurate and high-speed data processing equal to that of upper-level models.
- Compact, lightweight body: Despite the incorporation of the large 23.6mm x 15.8mm image sensor, the K-r sports a compact, lightweight body, thanks to a trim, stainless-steel chassis, a downsized in-body shake reduction mechanism, and state-of-the-art, high-density packaging technologies that ensure space-efficient positioning and layout of the camera components.
- High-speed continuous shooting at approximately six images per second: The shooting mode records as many as 25 images (in JPEG recording format) in a single sequence at a maximum speed of approximately six images per second — the fastest of all entry-class models.
- High-precision AF system: The K-r’s high-precision, wide-frame SAFOX IX autofocus system features 11 sensor points (with nine cross-type sensors positioned in the middle) for pin sharp focusing. Spot beam is also available for difficult lighting situations.
- Bright, clear optical viewfinder: Thanks to the combination of PENTAX-original finder optics and the renowned Natural-Bright-Matte focusing screen, the K-r’s viewfinder offers a bright, clear subject image at 0.85X magnification and a 96% field of view.
- Large, easy-to-view 3.0-inch LCD monitor with wide-view design and approximately 921,000 dots: High-resolution colour LCD monitor with approximately 921,000 dots. Its wide-view design assures a clear view of the monitor image from approximately 170 degrees horizontally and vertically.
- Versatile dual-power-source design: Powered by a standard rechargeable lithium-ion battery or four AA-size batteries using optional AA Battery Holder D-BH109.
- Pentax-original SR mechanism for sharp, blur-free images: Features the Pentax-developed SR (Shake Reduction) mechanism, producing sharp, blur-free images even under demanding conditions prone to camera shake; compatible with the full range of Pentax lenses.
- Innovative image-processing functions to produce distinctive photographic expressions: Custom image function for distinctive finishing touches/ Versatile digital filter function/ Cross process mode with three options/ Upgraded HDR (High Dynamic Range) function.
- High-speed infrared data transmission system: The first Pentax digital SLR camera equipped with the IrSimple high-speed infrared data transmission system.
- High-quality, HDTV-proportion movie recording at 1280 x 720 pixels and at 25 frames per second: True-to-life movie clips in 16:9 high-definition TV proportions (1280 x 720 pixels) at a frame rate of 25 frames per second.
- DR (Dust Removal) mechanism, to shake dust off the CMOS image sensor
- User-friendly layout of essential control buttons and levers, all positioned on the camera’s grip side for quick, effortless access by the photographer
- Auto Picture mode, for effortless, automatic selection of the most appropriate shooting mode, even during Live View shooting
- Eleven scene modes, including a new Night Scene HDR mode
- Versatile white balance control, featuring a new CTE mode designed to emphasise the dominant colour components of the captured images
- Automatic compensation of distortion and lateral chromatic aberration (available only with DA-,DFA- and FA Limited-series lenses)
- Pentax Digital Camera Utility 4 software package, with RAW-data processing and browser applications
The Pentax K-r will be available from October 2010. The K-r with 18-55mm DAL has an RRP of £599.99 and the K-r with 18-55mm DAL & 50-200mm DAL has an RRP of £699.99. For more information please visit the Pentax UK