Pentax are showing that a retro design based on the old Pentax Auto 110 and advance features can work together with the release of the new Optio I-10. This new compact camera has the look of a film camera but features a few modern twists with upgraded face detection, an optical 5x zoom lens, anti-shake protection and high-quality movie recording leading the way on this nostalgic camera.
The Pentax Optio I-10 will be available from February with an RRP of £199.99.
Pentax are pleased to announce the launch of the Pentax Optio I-10 digital compact camera. In addition to a compact body and with the look of a traditional film SLR camera, it offers a wide range of advanced functions — including an upgraded Face Detection AF & AE function and Sensor-shift Shake Reduction.
1. Unique design inspired by an SLR camera
The Optio I-10’s unique, eye-catching design is reminiscent of the beloved SLR cameras of yesteryear and will surely create a sense of nostalgia for many users. By positioning components such as a flash unit and a speaker to the upper middle section of the camera body, and by reducing the height of both sides, Pentax was able to create this original SLR-shaped body with an elevated mid section. The centre section of the camera’s front panel is elegantly textured to give a high-quality appearance and texture, while all other elements, including the near-centred lens and the Pentax logo just above it, have been carefully designed to enhance the SLR camera image.
2. Upgraded face detection
The Optio I-10 features a new-generation Face Detection AF & AE function, which instantly and accurately detects up to 32 faces in the image field, then catches them in sharp focus and in optimum exposure in just 0.03 seconds. In addition to popular features such as the innovative Small Face Filter, this upgraded version is programmed to detect not only human faces, but also the faces of dogs and cats. When the user selects pre-registered dog or cat faces (up to three choices), the camera automatically recognises them and optimises focus and exposure. The user can even program the camera to automatically release the shutter the moment the subject’s face turns straight toward the camera. These features make it simple and effortless to capture delightful faces of active pets.
3. Optical 5X zoom lens for broad coverage, from wide angle to telephoto
Despite its compact dimensions, the Optio I-10 features an optical 5X zoom lens covering focal lengths from 5.1mm to 25.5mm (equivalent in the 35mm format to approximately 28mm wide angle to 140mm telephoto). This wide zoom range means the Optio I-10 easily handles a wide variety of subjects and scenes — from breathtaking landscapes, majestic architecture and group shots in a confined space, to tightly cropped photos shot from a distance. When coupled with the Intelligent Zoom function, which allows even tighter zooming in on the subject, the zoom range can be extended to approximately 31.3 times.
4. Exceptional image quality
Combining the exceptional image resolution provided by approximately 12.1 effective megapixels, the faithful colour reproduction of the Pentax-developed high-performance imaging engine, and the camera’s high-performance Pentax zoom lens, the Optio I-10 delivers brilliant, high-quality images with well-defined details. Even when enlarged to larger sizes, the images ensure sharp, high-resolution prints with edge-to-edge sharpness.
5. Triple anti-shake protection to prevent different types of camera shake
6. High-quality, HD-proportioned movie recording
- CCD-shift-type SR mechanism - The Optio I-10 incorporates an advanced CCD-shift-type SR (Shake Reduction) mechanism, which effectively compensates for camera shake by shifting the camera’s image sensor (CCD) horizontally and vertically in relation to the amount of shake detected by the high-accuracy gyro sensor. This sophisticated mechanism offers an outstanding camera-shake compensation effect equivalent to approximately up to 2.5 shutter steps, even under shake-prone shooting conditions — such as when using a telephoto lens, or when shooting a sunset or indoor scene with the incident light only.
- High-Sensitivity anti-shake mode - When it detects low-lighting conditions in still-image shooting, the Optio I-10 automatically raises the sensitivity to as high as ISO 6400, making it possible to use a higher shutter speed. This effectively minimises the adverse effects of camera shake and subject shake under poor lighting conditions.
- Movie SR mode - During movie recording, the Optio I-10 prevents blurry images by digitally minimising annoying camera shake through the use of exclusive software.
The Optio I-10 captures beautiful, flawless movie clips at 16:9 high-definition TV proportions (1280 x 720 pixels) at a frame rate of 30 frames per second. This mode also offers a variety of editing functions: still images can be extracted from movie clips, and title images can be added to the beginning and/or end of a movie clip, and more.
7. Subscreen Input function for constant display of a favorite image on the screen
The Optio I-10 offers the new and innovative Subscreen Input function, which allows the user to display a thumbnail of a recorded image in the upper left corner of the LCD panel. This function comes in handy when the photographer wants to use a recorded image as a reference to shoot subjects from the same angle and at the same image size every time (such as photographing prepared food in the same way to compile a recipe file), or when the user wants to constantly keep a favourite image on the screen.
8. Creative digital filters to process recorded images
The Optio I-10 comes equipped with 11 digital filters to add various visual effects to recorded images without the need for a computer. In addition to the conventional Monochrome and Sepia filters and the creative Toy Camera and Soft Filters, the Optio I-10 now offers the new Starburst filter
, which creates cross-, heart- or star-shaped highlights from nighttime illuminations or reflections on the water. The user can even apply multiple filters to a single image.
9. Other features
- Wireless remote shooting using an optional Pentax remote controller
- Auto Picture mode to automatically select one of the eight shooting modes for the optimum result
- D-Range setting to prevent whitewashed (overexposed) and blacked-out (underexposed) areas in an image
- Original Frame function to add a decorative frame and/or letters/characters to a recorded image
- Digital Panorama mode to create a single panoramic picture from as many as three images
- Digital Wide function to compose an ultra-wide-angle picture (roughly equivalent to an image taken with approximately 21mm lens in the 35mm format) from two images
- Menu Magnification function to enlarge menu items for easier viewing
- Eye-Fi connected: optimised for use with Eye-Fi wireless memory cards
- MediaImpression 2.0 for Pentax image viewing, editing and filing software included (compatible with latest operation systems, such as Windows 7 and Mac OS X 10.6)
The Pentax Optio I-10 will be available from February with an RRP of £199.99. For more information please visit the Pentax