Pentax Ricoh Imaging UK LTD is pleased to announce the launch of the PENTAX WG-3 and PENTAX WG-3 GPS digital compact cameras.
These new models offer the WG series’ best waterproof performance (down to 14 metres) and shock resistance (from a drop of two metres) for shooting in any environment. They also feature a newly designed, four-times optical zoom lens, with a maximum aperture of F2.0. The high-sensitivity, back-illuminated CMOS image sensor, and new-generation imaging engine allow the WG-3 and WG-3 GPS to deliver high-quality, low-noise images even in water, at night or in poorly lit surroundings.
Both cameras are cold resistant to a temperature of –10°C, built with dual shake reduction systems, feature full HD movie recording (1920 x 1080 pixels) and a high-performance, wide-frame 3.0-inch LCD monitor, ensuring dependable performance in any situation.
The PENTAX WG-3 GPS model also features advanced GPS functionality to record position data and travel log data onto captured images, a pressure, altitude and depth gauge, a digital compass and a wireless recharging system.
The WG-3 will be available in orange and black from March. RSP £279.99.
The WG-3 GPS will be available in purple and green from March. RSP £329.99.
Wg3gps Purple 003
Heavy-duty construction for underwater shooting to 14 metres deep and for up to two continuous hours
- By further enhancing the watertight capability of the camera body, PENTAX has upgraded the WG-3 and WG-3 GPS’s underwater performance to 14 metres compared to 12 metres for their predecessors. This allows for up to two hours of continuous operation (equivalent to IPX8 or JIS Class 8 waterproof performance). These cameras are also designed to be highly shock-resistant*, dustproof**, cold-resistant***, and crushproof****, making them dependable in harsh, demanding outdoor conditions.
* Measured under PENTAX-original testing standards (from a height of 2.0 metres, onto a surface of 5cm-thick plywood), conforming to Method 516.5-Shock of the MIL-Standard 810Fm.
** Measured under PENTAX-original testing standards, equivalent to IPX6 or JIS Class 6.
*** Measured under PENTAX-original testing standards, in which the camera is proven to withstand temperatures as low as –10°C.
**** Measured under PENTAX-original testing standards, in which the camera is loaded with weights up to 100 kgf, or kilogram force.
4X optical zoom lens with maximum aperture of F2.0 and 25mm wide-angle coverage -
The newly designed optical zoom lens offers a maximum aperture of F2.0 to capture bright, clear images with minimal noise, even under dimly lit underwater conditions. With its four-times zoom coverage from 4.5mm to 18mm (equivalent to approx. 25mm wide angle to approx. 100mm medium telephoto in the 35mm format), this versatile zoom lens accommodates a wide range of applications — from macro shooting of flowers to wide-angle shooting of spectacular landscapes. The camera’s Intelligent Zoom function also extends the zoom range to approximately 28.8 times to cover the focal length of an approximately 720mm super-telephoto lens (in the 35mm format) to capture extra-high-magnification images without compromising image quality.
High-performance, back-illuminated CMOS image sensor
- The WG-3 and WG-3 GPS come equipped with a state-of-the-art, back-illuminated CMOS image sensor, which is superior in high-sensitivity and low-noise characteristics against conventional sensors and assures high-speed readout of image data signals. Coupled with a new-generation imaging engine, this image sensor delivers a top sensitivity of ISO 6400 and super-high-resolution images with 16.0 effective megapixels. These models also provide advanced image processing functions made possible by the latest super-resolution technology to assure sharp and clear images. They even offer such innovative features as a Handheld Night Snap mode, which automatically captures four images of the same scene to produce a single blur-free, composite image.
Dual anti-shake protection for sharp, blur-free images
- The WG-3 and WG-3 GPS’s dual shake reduction system combines an image sensor shift SR (Shake Reduction) mechanism with a Digital SR mode to counter camera shake and subject shake in difficult conditions, such as in a poorly lit environment.
Six LED Macro Lights to assist close-up shooting
- By positioning six LED Macro Lights around the circumference of the lens for macro shooting, the WG-3 and WG-3 GPS provide brighter and more precise illumination of the subject when the Digital Microscope mode is selected*.
With the Macro Lights, the user can clearly see a magnified view of a microscopic subject, often unnoticeable with the naked eye, on the camera’s LCD. In order to minimise camera shake and subject shake, the instant light allows for the use of a higher shutter speed by automatically raising the illumination level of the Macro Lights at the moment of shutter release. Additionally, the Macro Lights can provide other user-friendly features, such as a Self-Portrait Assist mode to check if the subject’s face is safely captured within the picture frame using the blink of an LED lamp, and an LED lighting mode to use the Macro Lights as a flash in the dark.
* When the Digital Microscope mode is selected, the recorded size is fixed at 2.0 megapixels (at 16:9 proportions).
Full HD movie recording for extended shooting of high-quality movies
- The WG-3 and WG-3 GPS provide Full HD movie recording using the H.264 recording format, which allows the user to capture high-quality, extended movie clips (1920 x 1080 pixels, 16:9 proportions) at a frame rate of 30 frames per second. They also feature a high-speed camera function* for slow-motion playback of captured movie clips and a fast-forward movie function** to simplify creative movie techniques. A micro-HDMI terminal (Type D) is also provided on the camera body for simultaneous output of Full HD movie clips and sound to external devices.
* When this function is selected, the recorded size is fixed at 1280 x 720 pixels).
** When this function is selected, the recorded size is fixed at 640 x 360 pixels).
Extra-large, high-resolution, wide-frame 3.0-inch LCD monitor
- Both models incorporate an extra-large, high-resolution 3.0-inch colour LCD monitor with horizontally extended 16:9 proportions and approximately 460,000 dots. The PENTAX-original AR (Anti-Reflection) coating minimizes annoying glare and reflections to assure a sharp, clear on-screen image even under harsh sunlight. Its wide-view design offers a clear view of the monitor from approximately 170 degrees horizontally and vertically, making it particularly useful in low and high angle shooting.
Advanced GPS functions and pressure/altitude/depth gauge to facilitate outdoor shooting (available with the WG-3 GPS only)
- The WG-3 GPS comes equipped with a sophisticated GPS function, which automatically records position data* and travel log data onto captured images and adjusts the built-in clock to local time. Thanks to a newly incorporated pressure sensor and digital compass, the user can not only check the pressure, altitude and underwater depth and direction of a shooting location, but also record such data onto captured images for future reference.
* Location data recorded at the time of shooting can be confirmed with the use of the accompanying software (Windows version only).
Wireless recharging (available with the WG-3 GPS only)
- The WG-3 GPS is compatible with the wireless Qi (inductive power standard) recharging system, which automatically recharges the built-in battery simply by placing the camera on a Qi-compatible wireless recharger. Since this system eliminates the need to open and close the battery chamber cover, it greatly reduces the risk of unwanted substances, such as sand and dust, clinging to special water seals installed in the cover.
Sub-display on the front panel to indicate time, pressure and altitude (WG-3 GPS only).
Two remote control receptors (one in front and another on the back) to widen signal coverage.
Digital level to check the camera’s horizontal/vertical inclination.
Auto Picture mode to automatically select the most appropriate shooting mode from 16 options.
Digital Wide mode to compose an extra-wide-angle picture (equivalent to approx. 19mm wide angle in the 35mm format) from two separate images.
12 digital filters.
Camera case O-CC135 with a belt loop (optional accessory).
O-CC1352 Protector Jacket (optional accessory) to protect the camera from scratches and grime.
O-LA135 Lens Adapter (optional accessory) to broaden the wide-angle coverage to 20mm in the 35mm format using the DW-5 RICOH Wide Conversion Lens (now available).
O-ST1352 Float Strap (optional accessory) to prevent the loss of the camera in the water.
Carabiner strap (included) for hooking the camera to a backpack or other outdoor gear.
Image viewing, editing and filing software included: MediaImpression 3.6.2 LE (Windows version compatible with Windows 8) and MediaImpression 2.2 LE (Macintosh version compatible with Mac OS X 10.8).
Compatibility with Eye-Fi wireless LAN SD memory cards.
For more information, visit the Pentax website