Portfolio Pro is a brandable photo & video presentation app, ideal for photographers, importing high-res photos, videos or whole galleries from Flickr, Dropbox and your iPad. The makers also say the app is ideal for designers, videographers, architects and more. It is available from the iTunes Store for £6.99.
Portfolio Pro For iPad Features
- Import directly from your Flickr Photostream and Flickr Sets
- Import whole folders or select photos and videos from Dropbox
- Your Brand - add your logo, portfolio title, website link and description text
- Your Style - choose colours and fonts to create and save multiple custom themes
- Add names and descriptions to your work
- Hide or show any photo, video or whole gallery
- Drag and drop to rearrange galleries
- Triple-tap the screen to switch between client and edit modes
- Present your work to clients even when you're offline
- Batch media downloads – import JPGs, PNGs, TIFs, GIFs, MOVs, MP4s & M4Vs
- Home Screensaver – create a set of featured photos and videos for your home screensaver
- Galleries – tap or pinch to zoom in and out of full screen slideshow mode
- Flipshow - elegantly flip through your work with clients
- Pixel details – retina ready and zoom high res photos
- AirPlay Apple TV or VGA out
Portfolio Pro For iPad Performance
To switch between edit and client mode you have to triple tap the iPad screen. Importing is easy, particularly if you use Flickr or Dropbox. You can create albums in either and upload them, or just single photos/videos. Given its popularity, it would be great if you could also import from Facebook (or even ePHOTOzine). As well as creating albums in the app, you can add images and videos to your home screensaver, which cycles through them one at a time, in a Ken Burns animated transition style, an example of which can be viewed on the ePHOTOzine Youtube Page
If you have a logo, this can be shown on the screen, along with a portfolio title, link to your website and a description. Further editing includes changing background colours, text colours and fonts. If you prefer to have different themes tailored to certain clients, you can save different ones and change at any point. You can arrange your albums by dragging and dropping, as well as add names and description. When you've finished editing, triple tap the screen and you are ready to flip through your work with clients. If your images are larger that 1024 pixels on the long side you can zoom into the full details and there is also the option to press a play button which will cycle through your images automatically.
The images and videos are stored on your iPad, meaning it can be used when there is no internet connection when presenting your work to clients. Importing lots of full sized images can take up a lot of room on your iPad and iCloud. If you have a limited amount of space, it is a good idea to resize images so they are optimised for viewing, although this will stop you from zooming in. Due to the large amount of space it was taking up, the iPad was throwing up an error message that there wasn't enough room to back-up my iPad to iCloud. This was solved by simply asking it not to back up the Portfolio Pro app.
If you are stuck with anything, there are tutorial videos available on the Portfolio Pro Support
Portfolio Pro For iPad Verdict
The Portfolio Pro app is a very easy to use, fully customisable app for displaying your work to clients on an iPad. Not only is it great for photographers, but designers, videographers, architects and others will also find the app useful. We'd like to be able to import images and videos from other places, particularly Facebook, and we also found that it demanded quite a chunk of our iPad memory storage. During the review, there were several updates made available to fix bugs and improve performance, so we are optimistic this app will only get better.
|The Portfolio Pro App is a great way to show your work to clients on the iPad.
Portfolio Pro For iPad Pros
Looks impressive, particularly the homepage screensaver
Easy to customise
App is regularly updated to improve performance
Support site has short tutorial videos
Portfolio Pro For iPad Cons
No Facebook integration
Can take up a lot of space on your iPad
|VALUE FOR MONEY
The Portfolio Pro For iPad App is available from the iTunes Store
for £6.99. For more information please visit the Nick Kuh