The Samsung NX2000 is an entry level mirrorless camera from Samsung with interchangeable NX mount lenses and features a 20.3 megapixel APS-C CMOS sensor as well as one of the largest screens on a mirrorless camera, with a 3.7inch high resolution touch screen. The NX2000 is available for £499 and includes Adobe Lightroom 4 in the box.
Samsung NX2000 Features
The Samsung NX2000 features a 20.3 megapixel APS-C CMOS sensor, and Samsung NX lens mount, with a number of lenses available, including the 20-50mm kit lens provided with the camera. The rear features a large high resolution 3.7inch touch screen - which was the largest available on a mirrorless camera until Samsung announced the Samsung Galaxy NX
with a 4.3inch touch screen.
Full HD video is recorded with stereo sound, and the camera can shoot up to 8fps at full resolution. The camera has a command dial on the top to allow quick changes to settings, as well as a unique i-function button on the lens that lets you use the front lens ring to change common settings.
Wi-Fi features are shared with Samsung's compact Wi-Fi cameras, and includes mobile link, remote viewfinder, social sharing (Facebook, YouTube etc), email, skydrive, auto backup, and TV link. We look at these in more detail below.
20.3 megapixel APS-C CMOS sensor
Samsung NX Mount
3.7-inch WVGA (800x400) 1,152k dot Touch Screen
Full HD Video, stereo sound,
3D Still and Movie Recording (with 45mm 2D/3D lens)
ISO100 - ISO25600
Wi-Fi / NFC
8fps continuous shooting
1/4000s shutter speed
Super Sonic Drive Dust Reduction
Available in White, Black, Pink
Samsung NX2000 Handling
- The camera has a plastic body, with a large textured front grip, as well as a textured rear thumb grip. On top is the flash hot-shoe, and as there is no internal flash, a compact pop-up flash is provided in matching colour.
The top command wheel is used to select the shooting mode, of which there are four: auto, smart, advanced and Wi-Fi options. When in the mode the command dial can be pushed to set additional settings, for example, push it in in Aperture priority mode, and you can set the aperture.
There are a minimal number of buttons on the camera, with on/off, shutter release and direct link on top, as well as the previously mentioned command dial, and on the back there are just three buttons, a dedicated video button, home button and playback. The menus are neatly laid out, and can be scrolled and selected using the touch screen with the options being large and easy to read.
Underneath the camera has the usual tripod socket and battery / Micro SD/SDHC/SDXC memory compartment, and battery life is rated at 340 shots according to Samsung / CIPA standards, with charging via the provided MicroUSB cable / AC/USB adapter. Wi-Fi use noticeably drains the battery, and we'd recommend keeping the camera charged, or a spare battery handy if you plan on using the Wi-Fi feature a lot.
MobileLink (Smart Camera app for Android and iOS) - used to transfer photos
Remote Viewfinder (Smart Camera app for Android and iOS) - can be used for shots, there is a noticeable delay in updates, and it can seem quite sluggish.
Send to SNS and Cloud: Facebook, Picasa, YouTube, SkyDrive
Allshare Play (Web storage, DLNA devices)
NFC can be used with a compatible smartphone to setup the link. The Samsung NX2000 has a very easy to use Wi-Fi sharing mode, where you can even logon to public Wi-Fi connections using the built in web-logon browser.
- We took a number of shots to test the camera's responsiveness, from switch on to first photo, shot to shot, focusing speed etc. We take a number of shots and then use the average to ensure accurate and consistent tests, making it easy to compare with other cameras.
Wide - Focus / Shutter Response
Full zoom - Focus / Shutter Response
Switch on Time to Taking a Photo
Shot to Shot without Flash
Shot to Shot with Flash
Continuous Shooting - JPEG
(shots before slow down)
7.2fps (12 shots)
Continuous Shooting - Flash
2.6fps (13 shots)
Shutter response is very quick, although focus can be slow at times, particularly in low light. Shot to shot time is good and continuous shooting is very good when shooting JPEG letting you shoot 12 shots before slowdown, however when shooting raw this drops to 5 shots before shooting stops.
Samsung NX2000 Performance
Additional sample photos and product shots are available in the Equipment Database
, where you can add your own review, photos and product ratings.
Samsung NX2000 Sample Photos
- Portrait photos with flash show very little red-eye and detail is good, although the camera can hunt for focus in low light, with the 20-50mm kit lens. The camera delivers reliable exposure with bright saturated colours.
Samsung NX2000 Lens test images
- The 20-50mm kit lens gives the equivalent of 30-75mm and performs well with minimal barrel and pincushion distortion, with the camera correcting for these in camera, although chromatic aberrations and purple fringing was noticed at times. Detail is very good from the kit lens, with the camera providing very detailed and sharp photos in good lighting conditions. Macro performance is reasonable, and while the minimum focus distance of 28cm isn't particularly impressive, using the lens at 50mm gives the best results.
Samsung NX2000 ISO test images
ISO Noise Performance
- The ISO range is now ISO100 to ISO25600. Noise is low up until ISO1600, with slight loss of detail at ISO3200 as noise increases. Again, detail is lost at ISO6400, and results aren't as good as the NX300
, with hot pixels appearing. ISO12800 shows a high level or noise and this setting as well as the highest of ISO25600 are probably best avoided.
Samsung NX2000 White-balance test images
White Balance Performance
- Auto White Balance (AWB) performs well under tungsten light, with the tungsten preset giving a slightly warmer result. AWB performs well under fluorescent light, with the fluorescent preset giving a yellow colour cast. There are three fluorescent presets available, each giving a colour cast, and for best results manual white balance is available.
Panoramic | 1/1600 sec | f/5.0 | 20.0 mm | ISO 200
- The built in sweep panoramic mode will automatically take a panoramic photo where you simply need to press the shutter button and hold it while panning around. You can shoot both horizontal and vertical panoramic photos and results are good with plenty of detail.
Samsung NX2000 Outdoor images
Dynamic range options include: Smart Range+ which will set the lowest ISO to ISO200, and raw shooting is still available. Switch to HDR shooting and raw becomes unavailable, with the camera taking a number of shots and combining them for a photo with extended dynamic range.
Samsung NX2000 Digital filters
Digital Filters -
Picture Wizard gives you a number of preset colour modes, as well as Custom 1/2/3, where you can alter colour hue, saturation, sharpness and contrast. Smart filters are another way of applying effects, however these are only available when shooting JPEG only and can be selected in playback mode as well.
- There are options to fade in / out video. Wind cut is an option, as well as switching off audio recording.
Due to the 20-50mm lens lacking built in optical image stabilisation (OIS), video isn't as smooth as it would be with a OIS lens, and with continuous AF enabled the lens can hunt for focus at times, with the 18-55mm OIS lens a better choice for video use.
Value For Money
The Samsung NX2000 is available for £499 (RRP) which makes it very good value for money, especially as you get Adobe Lightroom included for free in the box, although the Sony NEX-5N
currently leads the pack with the lowest price, and comes with a compact 16-50mm OSS lens. If you don't need or want Adobe Lightroom, then you may prefer that it was cheaper, although no doubt the price will drop over time.
Olympus PEN Mini E-PM2
, £449 with Wi-Fi card
Panasonic Lumix GF6
, Wi-Fi, £399
Nikon 1 J3
You'll also need to buy a memory card
and a case or bag to keep your camera safe and protected - have a look at our complete guide to camera bags
Samsung NX2000 Verdict
The Samsung NX2000 is a fairly compact mirrorless camera with a high resolution 20.3 megapixel APS-C CMOS sensor, and a large 3.7inch touch screen on the back. The camera delivers impressive image quality with excellent levels of detail and colour with good noise performance. The camera has a good level of control, with the large touch screen helping here, although visibility was not great when outdoors.
The Samsung NX2000, as part of the Samsung NX series has access to a wide range of lenses, including a number of compact prime lenses, including a new 10.5mm fisheye
, 16mm wide angle
, and 30mm prime
lenses. The 20-50mm kit lens gives good levels of detail and is relatively compact, although the lack of optical image stabilisation and slower focus speeds will disappoint particularly if you plan to use the camera for video, where you would be better off with the larger 18-55mm OIS kit lens.
With a wide variety of lenses, great image quality and excellent Wi-Fi sharing features, the Samsung NX2000 is well worth some serious consideration. The large 3.7inch touch screen has an impressive resolution and makes it easy to use the camera, both in photo or playback modes.
Samsung NX2000 Pros
Large 3.7inch touch screen
Very good value for money
Adobe Lightroom 4 included
Great image quality
Compact 20-50mm kit lens
Dual axis electronic level
Samsung NX2000 Cons
Difficult to see screen outdoors
Raw not available when shooting some effects
20-50mm kit lens doesn't feature OIS
VALUE FOR MONEY
Samsung NX2000 Specifications
|Sensor Size (width)||23.5mm|
|Sensor Size (height)||15.7mm|
|Screen resolution||WVGA 800 x 480, 1,152,000 dots|
- Face Detection
|Shutter speeds shortest||1/4000sec|
|Shutter speeds longest||30sec|
- Scene modes
- Centre-weighted - Average
- Multi Pattern
|ISO sensitivity||100 - 25600|
|Viewfinder Resolution||No Data|
- 1280x720 720p
- 640x480 VGA
- 320x240 QVGA
|Video FPS||30, 24|
|Optical Zoom with Video||Yes|
|Battery Type||Rechargeable battery, BP1130|
|Box Contents||Intelli-studio 3.0, Samsung RAW Converter 4, Adobe Reader, Camera, 18-55mm OIS lens, hood, lens cap, Battery, Charger, Neck Strap, CD, Quick Manual, USB Cable|
View Full Product Details