The Sony Cybershot DSC-WX350, updates the WX300
by adding NFC, and is a compact pocketable camera with an impressive 20x optical zoom lens, Wi-Fi and an 18.2 Exmor R CMOS sensor. It is available in pink, white and black for £229.
Sony Cyber-shot WX350 Features
The Sony Cybershot DSC-WX350 has an 18.2 megapixel Exmor R CMOS sensor and 20x optical zoom lens, a 35mm equivalent of 25-500mm, and can be extended to 40x with Clear Image Zoom. There is Optical SteadyShot to reduce blur when shooting handheld and you can also shoot at 10fps.
Intelligent Auto recognises the scene and automatically adjusts the camera settings, with Superior Auto recognising when your subject is moving. Other shooting modes include iSweep Panorama and artistic picture effects which can be applied to both images and videos. When shooting portraits the WX350 will automatically remove skin blemishes, brighten teeth, widen eyes and cut forehead shine.
The built-in Wi-Fi allows you to transfer your images and videos to a smartphone or tablet and allows your mobile device to act as a remote control. You can also use NFC to quickly transfer images and setup connections.
Videos are recorded in full 1080p HD with Optical SteadyShot Active Mode to ensure they are as smooth and steady as possible.
18.2 megapixel Exmor R CMOS sensor
20x optical zoom lens (35mm equiv: 25-500mm)
3.0 inch 460k dot LCD screen
Built-in Wi-Fi and NFC
Full 1080p HD video recording
5cm minimum focusing distance
Intelligent & Superior Auto
Artistic picture effects
10 fps continuous shooting
Available in pink, black and white
Sony Cyber-shot WX350 Handling
The WX350 has an extremely compact, metal body. It's a pocketable camera and isn't overly heavy, despite housing a 20x optical zoom lens. To aid grip there is a vertical groove on the front on the camera.
The LCD is a good size at 3 inches, resolution is also good and it is easy to view in varying lighting conditions. Alongside the screen are playback, movie record, menu and delete buttons, as well as a rotating wheel which also acts as a d-pad, giving quick access to the flash, continuous shooting and the photo creativity mode. The latter allows you to change the brightness, colour, vividness and choose a picture effect. The top of the camera hosts the on / off switch, zoom rocker, shutter release and mode dial. The buttons are generally small, but easy to press.
The menu system is easy to navigate, press the menu button the enter the full menu system, and there is no quick menu system or a way to quickly access your most favourite settings, which is a shame.
To use the Wi-Fi you need to install the free PlayMemories app. Pairing the devices and using the app is easy. You can transfer images and videos, as well as use the app to capture them as well. You can control the zoom and set a self-timer with the app.
On default settings the screen appears too bright, which makes you think the images / photos may be slightly over-exposed, but on the computer screen they look fine.
Battery life - Battery life is rated at 470 shots according to Sony / CIPA test results, which is excellent for a compact camera.
- We took a number of shots to test the camera's responsiveness, from switch on to first photo, shot to shot, focusing speed etc. We take a number of shots and then use the average to ensure accurate and consistent tests, making it easy to compare with other cameras.
Wide - Focus / Shutter Response
Full zoom - Focus / Shutter Response
Switch on Time to Taking a Photo
Shot to Shot without Flash
Shot to Shot with Flash
Continuous Shooting - JPEG
(shots before slow down)
8fps (10 shots)
Continuous Shooting - Flash
Shutter response and focus speeds are very good. Continuous shooting is very quick and will shoot up to 10 shots before stopping.
Sony Cyber-shot WX350 Performance
Additional sample photos and product shots are available in the Equipment Database
, where you can add your own review, photos and product ratings.
Sony Cyber-shot WX350 Sample Photos
- Exposure is reliable with the camera producing images with bright saturated colours. The only problem is the screen, which appears too bright, making it seem as though your photos might be over-exposed at times. Portrait photos with flash show little red-eye, and using the soft-skin portrait scene mode, enhances the appearance of skin by smoothing out any blemishes.
Sony Cyber-shot WX350 Lens test images
- The lens performs reasonably well, although there is a tendency for some purple fringing and chromatic aberration in contrasting areas. Macro focusing is automatically activated by the camera, and you can get closer to the subject by using 2.1x optical zoom.
Sony Cyber-shot WX350 ISO test images
ISO Noise Performance
- Noise is low at ISO80, 100, 200 and 400. Detail is lost at ISO800 and images become softer and more so at ISO1600. Yet again, noise increases slightly at ISO 3200, but at the two highest settings of ISO 6400 and 12800, image quality is poor and best avoided.
Sony Cyber-shot WX350 White-balance test images
White Balance Performance
- Auto White Balance (AWB) performs reasonably well under tungsten lighting with a slightly yellow colour cast. It's a similar result when using the tungsten preset. AWB performs well when fluorescent lighting is used, with the fluorescent preset giving a magenta cast.
Panoramic | 1/800 sec | f/3.5 | 4.3 mm | ISO 80
- Detail is suitable for sharing on the web, rather than large prints, they are also well stitched together.
Sony Cyber-shot WX350 Digital filters
Digital Filters -
The camera has an option called Picture Effect where you can choose from a number of different effects available and we've shown examples above.
- The camera records full HD video (1080p), with stereo sound, and optical zoom is available. The camera's built-in image stabilisation helps, however to use the full 20x optical zoom lens, we would recommend using a tripod.
Value For Money
The Sony Cyber-shot WX350 is available for £229, which makes it average value for money.
Most compact cameras with this amount of zoom are quite a bit bigger than the WX350, and similar sized cameras often have a 12x optical zoom, such as the Panasonic Lumix SZ8
, Canon IXUS 265 HS
, or Sony Cyber-shot WX220
. Other cameras with 18x optical zoom or more include the following:
Canon Powershot SX600 HS
, 18x optical zoom
Panasonic Lumix TZ55
, 20x optical zoom
Nikon Coolpix S9600
, 22x optical zoom
Olympus Stylus SH-50
, 24x optical zoom
You'll also need to buy a memory card
and a case or bag to keep your camera safe and protected - have a look at our complete guide to camera bags
Sony Cyber-shot WX350 Verdict
The Sony Cybershot WX350 is an extremely small camera, particularly when you consider it packs a 20x optical zoom lens and Wi-Fi. The Wi-Fi and NFC make it easy to share images with smartphones and tablets, as well as using them as a remote control. On the downside, image quality isn't the best, images aren't as packed with detail as you'd hope and there is some purple fringing and chromatic aberration. However, considering the average user is likely to be sharing their images on the web, this won't be much of a problem, particularly as images have good colour reproduction.
Sony Cyber-shot WX350 Pros
20x optical zoom lens
Built-in Wi-Fi and NFC
Up to 10fps continuous shooting
Excellent battery life (470 shots)
Images have good colours
Impressive focus speeds
Sony Cyber-shot WX350 Cons
Image detail could be better
Images are noisy from ISO 800 upwards
Screen is overly bright
VALUE FOR MONEY
Sony Cyber-shot WX350 Specifications
|Max Aperture||f/3.5 - f/6.5|
|35mm equivalent||25mm - 500mm|
|Sensor Type||Exmor CMOS|
|Sensor Size||1/2.3 inch|
|Sensor Size (width)||No Data|
|Sensor Size (height)||No Data|
|Screen resolution||460,800 dots|
|Shutter speeds shortest||1/1600sec|
|Shutter speeds longest||60sec|
- Centre-weighted - Average
- Multi Pattern
|ISO sensitivity||80 - 12800|
|Optical Zoom with Video||Yes|
|Battery Type||Lithium N NP-BX1|
|Battery Life (CIPA rating)||470shots|
|Box Contents||Rechargeable Battery Pack (NP-BX1), AC Adaptor (AC-UB10/UB10B), Micro USB cable, Wrist Strap, Instruction Manual, AC Power Cord|
View Full Product Details