The Sony Cyber-shot WX200 is an ultra compact digital camera with a 10x optical zoom lens, an 18.2 megapixel sensor, high speed shooting and built in Wi-Fi. It is available in black or silver.
Sony Cyber-shot WX200 Features
The Sony Cyber-shot WX200 offers an 18.2 megapixel Exmor R (Backlit) CMOS sensor for high speed shooting as well as improved low light performance. A number of intelligent auto modes are built in to help acheive the best shots regardless of your camera experience, and there are a wealth of scene modes and creative options including backlighting / HDR modes, handheld night scenes, and multiple artistic creative shooting modes.
The 10x optical zoom lens features optical image stabilisation, and is the equivalent of 25 - 250mm in 35mm terms. Despite the large amount of optical zoom, the camera is extremely compact thanks in part to the relatively small 2.7inch screen on the back. This is all put into a stylish metal body that is available in black or silver. Full HD video is recorded with stereo sound and optical zoom is available while recording - you can also take photos while recording.
Built in Wi-Fi lets you control the camera with a smartphone or tablet using the Sony Playmemories app, and you can share or upload images straight to social media websites like Facebook and YouTube.
18.2 megapixel backlit CMOS sensor
10x optical zoom lens, equivalent to 25-250mm in 35mm terms
Optical Steadyshot Optical image stabilisation
Wi-Fi built in
Full HD video with stereo sound
ISO100 to 12800
5cm macro focus
HDR / i-Sweep panoramic
10fps continuous shooting
Available in black or silver
Sony Cyber-shot WX200 Handling
- The camera features a well built metal body that is surprisingly compact given the 10x optical zoom lens offered. There is little grip at the front or back but the front is textured, giving some grip, although use of the wrist strap is definitely recommended. Build quality is good with the camera feeling good in the hand, and the ultra compact size means it can easily be slipped into a pocket and forgotten about. There are a good number of buttons and controls on the back and top of the camera despite the small size and the photo / panoramic / video switch combined with the playback button make it easy to switch modes.
– The menu system is easy to navigate, press the menu button the enter the shooting options, if you want to amend the camera settings, scroll down the bottom and you'll find an option represented by a briefcase which gives access to them.
To use the Wi-Fi you need to install the free PlayMemories app on your smartphone. Pairing the devices and using the app is easy. You can transfer images and videos, as well as use the app to capture them as well. You can control the zoom and set a self-timer with the app.
- Battery life is rated at 220 shots according to Sony / CIPA test results, which is average for an ultra compact camera, although use of Wi-Fi is likely to reduce the shots possible.
- We took a number of shots to test the camera's responsiveness, from switch on to first photo, shot to shot, focusing speed etc. We take a number of shots and then use the average to ensure accurate and consistent tests, making it easy to compare with other cameras.
Wide - Focus / Shutter Response
Full zoom - Focus / Shutter Response
Switch on Time to Taking a Photo
Shot to Shot without Flash
Shot to Shot with Flash
Continuous Shooting - JPEG
10fps (10 shots)
7fps (15 shots)
Focus and shutter response are both excellent, and shot to shot time is also good, with an impressive 10fps continuous shooting mode also available.
Sony Cyber-shot WX200 Performance
Additional sample photos and product shots are available in the Equipment Database
, where you can add your own review, photos and product ratings.
Sony Cyber-shot WX200 Sample Photos
- The lens has a minimum focusing distance of 5cm, this allows for a decent macro shot to be taken. Colour and exposure are good with the camera providing consistent results.
Sony Cyber-shot WX200 Lens test images
- Images have a reasonable level of detail and the lens performs well at both the wide-angle or telephoto settings, with very little signs of corner softening. Purple fringing is well controlled, as well as chromatic abberation. Fine detail is a little difficult to see in grassy areas.
Sony Cyber-shot WX200 ISO test images
ISO Noise Performance
- Some noise is visible in ISO100 shots, this increases at ISO200, and again very slightly at ISO400, and at ISO800 there's a noticeable drop in detail as well as some white dots. At ISO1600 noise increases again and detail becomes soft. Noise is high at ISO3200 with very soft images. At ISO6400, and ISO12800, the camera takes a number of shots, and combines them in order to reduce noise further - these images have very low levels of detail.
Sony Cyber-shot WX200 White-balance test images
White Balance Performance
- Auto White Balance (AWB) performs well under tungsten lighting, with the tungsten preset giving a slightly warmer result. AWB performs very well under fluorescent lighting, and for most shots the fluorescent presets are best avoided due to a strong colour cast.
1/1000 sec | f/3.3 | 4.5 mm | ISO 100
- The camera has an automatic panoramic mode, where you simply press and hold the shutter release button and pan the camera, and the camera automatically stitches the images together. Images are reasonably good, although there is some ghosting with movement in the scene.
Sony Cyber-shot WX200 Digital filters
Digital Filters -
The camera has a number of creative effects, as shown above, including HDR painting, Rich Tone Monochrome, as well as scene modes to help expand dynamic range.
- Video quality is good with the camera offering full HD video with stereo sound, in addition optical zoom is available. Another video is available on ePHOTOzine's YouTube channel
Value For Money
The Sony Cyber-shot WX200 is available for around £200. Alternative compact cameras with a good amount of optical zoom include the Canon IXUS 140 HS
with 8x optical zoom lens and Wi-Fi, IXUS 255 HS
with 10x optical zoom and Wi-Fi, or the Sony Cyber-shot WX60
with 8x optical zoom lens, but without Wi-Fi. The Samsung WB30F
and Panasonic Lumix SZ9
, both feature a 10x optical zoom lens and Wi-Fi. If you don't need Wi-Fi then the previous model, the Sony Cyber-shot WX100
offers good value for money.
You'll also need to buy a memory card
and a case or bag to keep your camera safe and protected - have a look at our complete guide to camera bags
Sony Cyber-shot WX200 Verdict
The Sony Cyber-shot WX200 delivers bright colourful photos, with good exposure and reasonable levels of detail. Rather more impressive is that the camera packs a wide-angle 10x optical zoom lens with optical image stabilisation in a metal body not much larger than your typical 5-6x zoom camera (and more compact than many modern smartphones), making this camera extremely pocketable and versatile.
High speed shooting at 10fps, rapid performance, full HD video with stereo sound, Wi-Fi and good ease of use, make this a well rounded camera, which would be ideal for the casual snapper who wants to be able to quickly share photos. Although the price does put this compact camera at the more expensive end of the market, if you are looking for an ultra sleek camera with a lot of zoom and Wi-Fi then this delivers.
Sony Cyber-shot WX200 Pros
10fps continuous shooting
10x optical zoom lens in an ultra compact body
Optical Image Stabilisation
Easy to Use
Built in Wi-Fi
Sony Cyber-shot WX200 Cons
Only a 2.7inch screen - helps keep camera small
Detail low for an 18mp camera
Short Battery Life
VALUE FOR MONEY
Sony Cyber-shot WX200 Specifications
|Max Aperture||f/3.3 - f/5.9|
|35mm equivalent||25mm - 250mm|
|Sensor Type||Exmor CMOS|
|Sensor Size||1/2.3 inch|
|Sensor Size (width)||No Data|
|Sensor Size (height)||No Data|
- AF Tracking
|Shutter speeds shortest||1/1600sec|
|Shutter speeds longest||4sec|
- Centre-weighted - Average
- Multi Pattern
|ISO sensitivity||100 - 12800|
- 1920x1080 FullHD
- 1280x720 HD 720p
|Optical Zoom with Video||Yes|
- Memory Stick (Sony)
|Battery Type||Lithium N NP-BN|
|Battery Life (CIPA rating)||220shots|
|Box Contents||Rechargeable Battery Pack (NP-BN), AC Adaptor (AC-UB10/UB10B), Micro USB cable, Wrist Strap, Instruction Manual|
View Full Product Details