Northern photography is celebrated in the prestigious 2008 SUN (Shot up North) Awards - in this their 20th year - with the winners announced at an awards event held at the Lowry Hotel in Manchester on 6 November. An exhibition of the 50 shortlisted images will be shown there until 26 November before touring nationally.The SUN Award for Best Image:1st
- ‘Alpine Choughs’ by Robert Pogson, Alyth, Perth and Kinross2nd
- ‘Beyond the pool’ by Carl Pinnington, Ashton under Lyne3rd
- ‘Life’ by Richard Moran, LeedsMerit
- ‘Going somewhere’ by Harry Archer, BradfordMerit
- ‘Valencia Two’ by Andy Haslam, Lower Darwen
The judging panel’s comment on this award was: “This image stood out from the start and was a very clear winner: the decision was unanimous. Occasionally a photographer will create an image that is striking to look at; rarely will they create something quite so atmospheric that stirs the emotions too. Robert Pogson, with his beautiful scene of black birds flying against a distant snowy backdrop, has worked wonders with his winning shot, reminding us how magical great photography can be.
”Best Location image:
‘Amusements’ by Andy Gallacher, Sheffield
Commenting on this award, the panel felt: “This photograph of an empty English seaside amusement park could so easily have been melancholy but Andy Gallacher’s colourful, warm image demonstrates an affection for the location which could be so many places but is actually Cromer, Norfolk
”Best use of image:1st
- Tennis Coaching for Kids at David Lloyd Leisure, Paul Moffat, MacclesfieldJoint 2nd
- Edinburgh International Film Festival campaign 08, Peter Dibdin, Edinburgh and Campaign for Volkswagen 4 wheel drive van, Tim Hetherington, Manchester.
Best promotion by a photographer, of their work:1st
- Paul Moffat, Macclesfield2nd
- Kerry Harrison, Leeds3rd
- Geff Lloyd, Manchester
- Chris Leah, Halifax
“Paul Moffat’s return to paper, simplicity and direct mail made a refreshing, eye-catching change that we loved
,” commented the panel.
The awards are judged anonymously by an independent panel of key figures in the industry. This year they included:
- Martin Evening, award winning fashion photographer and international best seller for his books on Photoshop and Lightroom
- Paul Nichols, creative director at Brahm
- Linsey Hales, designer at Elmwood
- Craig Hutton, designer at NE6
- Tim Ainsworth, award winning advertising photographer
- Jonathan Keenan, award winning advertising photographer
- Anita Morris, Anita Morris Associates PR agency
- Anna Reid, Pavillion art photography agency
SUN Awards co-director Doug Currie commented: “2008 has been a record year, the best in our 20 year history. We've had far more images and photographers entered, including those long established and returning after a break and a raft of new young talent, all alongside a strong loyal core.
For more information please visit the Shot Up North