Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

  • NEWS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Exclusive 25% off Affinity Photo: Professional photo editing with no subscription!

Three days around Flamborough

Three days around Flamborough - ePHOTOzine members meet at Flamborough

 Add Comment

Members' Meetings

Day 1
Flamborough Lighthouse
The plan was simple, meet in York at one oclock

Thing with simple plans is they are simple! Too simple at times, with limited knowledge of York and not arranging a meeting point before hand resulted in several frantic phone calls, three or four trips to and from the car park for Kit-monster, and finally a call to find out where the others were standing at York Minster
Im at the big door So am I, which door exactly? You get the picture, even after me and Ed were stood metres apart we still needed a phone call as we were looking away from each other! Stevieb was located easily, just look for a big crowd of people and a professional photographer; Im stood near him he told us

Quick round of hellos and we were off in search of that elusive, yet ePHOTOzine wide famous coffee shop, Amici Espresso Bar! A short round about walk located it, stood behind the counter huddled in the once famous pose peering into a cracked monitor was Funkledink, unaware of the pilgrimage made by these three intrepid ePHOTOziners
Once he tore himself from the screen, he was surprised to say the least. Three coffees were produced, and he was adamant that we didnt pay, but we insisted it is his business after all (wished wed accepted after tasting the stuff though! (Sorry Funkeldink, Im only joking, it is excellent coffee)

After a few hours chatting and another coffee we decided to head on with the trek, so leaving the shop, twitching slightly from the caffeine overdose, we headed our separate ways to the cars.

A short journey brought me to Flamborough, the camp site was quickly located and I was checked in, twenty minutes later still waiting for the other two they arrived, completely missed the turn in to the site and were halfway to Bempton

Tents were set up, Steves in less than twenty seconds, flash git That was it, gadget time. Several bits and pieces were produced in a pseudo competition between us; a list was soon drawn up of what others had and what we wanted! We wound Ed up briefly, but had to put him out of his misery, the less said about this the better. Im still waiting for Eds revenge!
A quick call from AndyTVcams and he was on his way to meet up with us, we guessed it was Andy as he pulled up, mainly because of the BBC sticker in the windscreen. Andy had managed to find a stately home sized caravan at a local site at the last minute.
  Selwicks Bay)
A quick scout round the area, mainly the Lighthouse and North Landing, it was time for a beer. Dropping the cars off, I offered everybody some Jaegermeister, which was likened to Cough Mixture by Steve. (Hes not had a cough since though!) We walked into the Village. Found a pub serving food, ordered a beer and got engrossed in conversation.

Day 2
After a restless night because of some rowdy Grockles playing around their hutches, the alarms had been set for 6 am went off. Bleary eyed we fell out of the tents, realised the sun was already up and dashed off to North Landing, realising that we had got the direction of sunrise wrong and no sign of Andy, we assumed hes seen where the sun was and headed over to the lighthouse.
Where we headed right away, pulling up and getting out of the car the sun had already broken over the horizon, a stunning sight seeing it rising over the sea (Id recommend it to all).

Still no sign of Andy, we were a little confused. Ed was off immediately impersonating a Mountain Goat, I still cant figure out how he got to some of the places he did
 We were accosted by a friendly local; well I thought he was local! PJMorley and friend had made it down, staying several miles away, a brief chat and PJMorley headed off down to the beach. Andy arrived guessing where we would be, a quick wander around and a few frames rattled off, I received a call to say Big Bri was in the area and heading down to meet us. So we hung around for Bri, who duly arrived, unpacked his camera gear only to be told we were off back to camp for breakfast. What he said isnt printable

Now when Ed told us he had brought his cooking box, we never imagined it would be that big! He pulled out, what we first thought was his entire boot, but was a large box full of camping stoves and pans. The breakfast was excellent; thanks Chef (Ed), that farm shop bacon was very tasty.
Once cleaned up, and Bris tent erected, we were off again back to the lighthouse, and down to the beach as the tide was out. Slowly making our way around into a small cove then around the first headland, Ed was out of sight impersonating that Mountain Goat again, hopping across channels in the bay and skipping across swathes of sea weed that was clinging to the rocks. We estimate he made it to Whitby, at least Robin Hoods Bay.

Realising the tide was starting to turn, and not being as sure footed as Ed, we headed back to meet up with Paul, Magda (Flam 7) and the star of the trio, Pica. We stood and chatted for a while, some reacquainting friendships, and others forging new ones. It was decided to head over to North Landing, where some got a bite to eat (must have been the soggiest pasties in the country, but when needs must).

A very short drive to Thornwick bay saw some stunning vistas, Ed and Paul headed off down into one of the bays, a few stayed on the cliff tops and I wandered down into another bay, thinking I was alone to get some excellent shots I heard a familiar voice over my shoulder, Brian had decided I looked lonely heading of to the bay so had decided to join me. We got a few strange looks jumping from rock to rock, holding a tripod and camera with rucksacks on our backs; we were nearly caught several times by the tide as it swept in quickly. Back at the top the others were waiting patiently chatting away. Minus two of the group, Ed and Paul, we waited and waited, then waited a little more. We tried to call them but could get no signal on our phones. Just as we were going to call International Rescue, they appeared over the headland, like a pair of intrepid explorers breaking new territory. The light had been too good to leave, and they had become so engrossed in capturing it, time was forgotten.
Thinking of capturing a stunning sunset, we charged over to South Landing, hoping the sun would not set too far inland, unfortunately the cliffs prevented this idea, so back in the cars and in convoy headed to Bempton Cliffs for plenty of fantastic views and excellent light as the sun slowly set.

All that was left for today was to head to the pub for food and a beer or five. It was excellent sat around chatting like old friends, as the night wore on Magda and Paul had to leave, Paul was being taken up in a helicopter the following day, and it was an early start (Lucky bugger). We finally left late on, the bar staff were getting impatient waiting to lock the doors behind us

Day 3
Some of us managed to get up early. Steve had his earplugs in due to the noise of the local inhabitants (Dont know what he means) Headed over to Selwicks Bay and the lighthouse again to meet Keithh.

After a couple of hours it was decided to break camp and meet up again at Andys mansion of a caravan. Ed was off into Bridlington to track down a phone charger, as he had left his at home and was in need of a recharge for his phone. After a few cups of tea and coffee the majority of the group decided on Filey, whilst Matt and Big Bri headed home.

Ed, Steve, Keith, Andy arrived at Filey Country park on the top of the hill leading to Filey Brigg. Bacon sandwiches and tea required. These were found in a small cafe on the site. Shots were taken from the top of the Brigg looking down the beach at Filey.

An invigorating walk along the Brigg gives fine views both north and south. The Brigg narrows to a fine point and drops sharply to allow level rocky spur of rocks. This part is covered at high tide.

The afternoon was spent with people doing their own thing and Ed the rock hopper disappeared as usual. Mid afternoon we all met up back at the car park and had various discussions about ePHOTOzine and the weekend. We parted agreeing that all had a good time and went our separate ways.

Join ePHOTOzine and remove these ads.

Explore More

There are no comments here! Be the first!

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.