Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.
Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!
Dates: 01/06/2014 - 08/01/2015
2015 Sony World Photography Awards open for entries
The 2015 Sony World Photography Awards, organised by the World Photography Organisation, are now open for entries. Professional, amateur, youth and student photographers from across the world can enter their best work for free at www.worldphoto.org. Photographers will compete for a range of cash prizes and the latest cutting edge digital imaging equipment from Sony. Overall winners will be announced at a gala ceremony held in London on 23 April 2015.
2015 Sony World Photography Awards
Since its launch in 2007, over 700,000 images from 230 countries have been submitted to the Sony World Photography Awards. Seeking the very best in international contemporary photography, the awards have established themselves as one of the world’s leading photography competitions. The most recent winner of the L’Iris d’Or/ Photographer of the Year title is American photographer Sara Naomi Lewkowicz for her series ‘Shane and Maggie’ a powerful and intimate examination of domestic violence as a process.
The winner of the 2015 L’Iris d’Or/Photographer of the Year title and the Open Photographer of the Year will both receive cash prizes. All category winners will receive the latest digital imaging equipment from Sony, and the Student Focus winner will receive a range of new, cutting edge Sony digital imaging equipment for his or her university. Winning and shortlisted photographs will also be published in the 2015 edition of the Sony World Photography Awards book and exhibited at Somerset House, London.
The 2015 Sony World Photography Awards include the following competitions:
• Professional – 15 categories judged on a series of work
• Open – 10 categories judged on a single image
• Youth – three categories for photographers under 20. Judged on a single image
• Student Focus – for higher education photography students aged 18-30
The Open and Youth competitions will close for entries at 23.59 GMT on Monday 5 January 2015 with the exception of the Professional competition, which will close at 23.59 GMT on Thursday 8 January 2015. A list of categories can be found in the notes to editors.
The brief for the 2015 Student Focus competition is to shoot a single image that symbolises contemporary consumer culture. The image can be sensationalist or low-key but it must be something the photographer feels is a reflection of today’s society. Entries to the Student Focus competition close on 6 December 2014.
The key dates for the 2015 Sony World Photography Awards are:
• 6 December 2014 – Student Focus competition closes
• 5 January 2015 – Open and Youth competition close
• 8 January 2015 – Professional competition closes
• 10 February 2015 – Shortlist for Professional, Open, Youth and Student Focus competitions revealed
• 17 March 2015 – Outstanding Contribution to Photography recipient announced
• 31 March 2015 – Open and Youth winners revealed
• 23 April 2015 – L’Iris d’Or/Photographer of the Year plus Professional category winners and Open, Youth and Student Focus Photographers of the Year revealed at gala ceremony held in London
• 24 April-10 May – 2015 Sony World Photography Awards Exhibition at Somerset House, London
Further details about the Sony World Photography Awards and the World Photography Organisation can be found at www.worldphoto.org
For all press enquiries please contact:
Kristine Bjørge, PR Manager, World Photography Organisation
+44 (0) 20 7886 3049/ + 44 (0) 7557 261 537 / firstname.lastname@example.org
Notes to editors
• 2015 Sony World Photography Awards – full list of categories
• Arts & Culture
• Contemporary Issues
• Current Affairs
• Fashion & Beauty
• Nature & Wildlife
• Still Life
• Arts & Culture
• Low Light
• Nature & Wildlife
• Split Second
• All competitions are free to enter and all images submitted must have been shot in 2014. Photographers may enter either the Professional or Open competition; it is not possible to enter both. Full conditions of entry are available at www.worldphoto.org
• Images from the 2014 Sony World Photography Awards are available via the World Photography Organisation press centre. Please register at press.worldphoto.org/register
• About World Photography Organisation (WPO)
WPO supports professional, amateur and young photographers, lending a global platform for the photographic industry to communicate, converge and showcase current trends across all genres of photography. Delivering various initiatives to this global community, these programmes involve the photographer in commercial, cultural and educational activities within the many industry sectors, whilst also creating events for the public to participate in. Currently included within the WPO portfolio are: the Sony World Photography Awards; the World Photography Student Focus Competition and Youth on Assignment. In addition the WPO have recently launched Photo Shanghai, Asia-Pacific’s premiere international Art Fair focused on photography and The Magazine, a monthly online publication where photography is explored, debated and discussed. WPO also has a thriving online presence via its website, Twitter, Facebook and Instagram and engages its online audience via regular PhotoTALK discussions. For more information please visit www.worldphoto.org
• About Sony Corporation
Sony Corporation is a leading manufacturer of audio, video, game, communications, key device and information technology products for the consumer and professional markets. With its music, pictures, computer entertainment and online businesses, Sony is uniquely positioned to be the leading electronics and entertainment company in the world. Sony recorded consolidated annual sales of approximately $72 billion for the fiscal year ended March 31, 2013. Sony Global Web Site: http://www.sony.net. For more information on Sony Europe, please visit presscentre.sony.eu
“Sony”, “WALKMAN”, “VAIO”, “Cyber-shot”, “Handycam”, “α”, “BRAVIA” and “XDCAM” are registered trademarks or trademarks of Sony Corporation. All other trademarks or registered trademarks are the property of their respective owners.