Amazon Kindle Unlimited Offer: 1-Month For FREE!

1/2 price for Lightroom 3

JJGEE 16 7.9k 18 England
23 Aug 2011 1:40PM

Quote:Can I do basic curves, levels and sharpening in there

Yes you can.

It also has a "graduated filter" and "brushes" for local adjustments but not soft proofing ( coming in LR 4 )
Coleslaw 15 13.4k 28 Wales
23 Aug 2011 1:41PM
hmmm...... I need to learn more about LR and C1 first to answer that question then, Ian.....LOL
JJGEE 16 7.9k 18 England
23 Aug 2011 1:50PM
Ian, you probably already know this... why not download LR for a free trial and see how Robbie and yourself get on with it Wink

Adobe has a good LR "Help" website and as has been mentioned above Julieanne Kosts videos are quite good.

For more advanced tutorials I can recommend the one on "Luminous Landscape" .... you have to buy it and download the files though.

Of course you can always ask here on epz as well Smile
digicammad 18 22.0k 40 United Kingdom
23 Aug 2011 2:05PM

Quote:Quote: Can I do basic curves, levels and sharpening in there

Yes you can.

It also has a "graduated filter" and "brushes" for local adjustments but not soft proofing ( coming in LR 4 )

So, would you say LR is a reasonable all-in-one raw to output app, providing you don't need masks, layers, etc?
23 Aug 2011 2:06PM

Quote:Ian, you probably already know this... why not download LR for a free trial and see how Robbie and yourself get on with it

Cheers, it didn't occur to me that there was a free trial available. Smile
Jestertheclown 12 8.4k 253 England
23 Aug 2011 2:09PM

Quote:Though I see no reason why you should change to LR3 since you already have C1.

Cole's probably right Ian.

I tried C1 using the freebie that I picked up on here a while ago and I found it even more difficult than Lightroom, which I know at least a bit about, so I stopped using it but I think that if I'd had C1 first, I'd probably be inclined to keep that.
What I'm saying is that, for me at least, there wasn't much to choose between them although I imagine that Lightroom must have advantages that I didn't discover during the comparison, if only to justify the difference in price.

Quote:Cheers, it didn't occur to me that there was a free trial available. Smile

Good idea but the same applies as I said earlier. Unless you get really stuck in, you'll barely scratch the surface during the trial.
JJGEE 16 7.9k 18 England
23 Aug 2011 2:30PM

Quote:providing you don't need masks, layers, etc?

Correct, but the local adjustment brush is in effect a mask as you paint the area you want to locally adjust.
And you can have multiple local adjustments on an image, likewise you can have more than one graduated filter, which by the way is not just restricted to Exposure but allows adjustment to Brightness,Contrast,Saturation,Clarity,Sharpness and Colour as well.
23 Aug 2011 2:38PM
Thanks folks
lobsterboy Plus
17 14.9k 13 United Kingdom
23 Aug 2011 3:49PM

Quote:
What I'm saying is that, for me at least, there wasn't much to choose between them although I imagine that Lightroom must have advantages that I didn't discover during the comparison, if only to justify the difference in price.

LR has a cataloging/database system, C1 pretty much relies on other tools (iview) to manage the same thing. LR is a tool designed to deal with your entire workflow wheras C1 is really just a raw converter.
23 Aug 2011 4:04PM
I just found the DPReview article for LR3 and have to say I'm quite taken with it. The things it can do seem to fit 100% of our needs for 90% of our photos (Robbie and I that is) and the cataloguing side could just solve a problem I have always had with external archive drives.
lobsterboy Plus
17 14.9k 13 United Kingdom
23 Aug 2011 4:10PM
ohh and if you ever have some time off sick and get bored of Jeremy Kyle....

you can open the "No keywords" smart collection and pass a happy few days keywording all the files you forgot to keyword Wink
23 Aug 2011 4:19PM
lol, sounds riveting
stomp 19 203 England
23 Aug 2011 4:21PM
As a user of LR since LR1 I find it an invaluable piece of software in my workflow.

I import the Raw images from CF card onto my HD and into LR directly. I am then able to check and delete any non runners, flag or rate images, add keywords tec.

Then in the Develop mode I can alter/modify curves, histograms, colour balance, white balance, exposure +++++ many other options. I can clone/heal out blemishes, crop, straighten, sharpen and use noise reduction, enable lens profile correction.

One can print directly from LR and I even use LR for making and maintaining websites with engines (plugins).

This is all done without altering the original Raw file in any way whatsoever.

Very rarely I have to pass an image from LR to CS5 for more precise editing.

If LR were taken away from me it would be like taking my right arm away. It is essential for my workflow.

Steve
23 Aug 2011 4:22PM
Thanks Steve.
Jestertheclown 12 8.4k 253 England
23 Aug 2011 4:34PM

Quote:LR is a tool designed to deal with your entire workflow

Thanks Chris.

See? I told you I wasn't using half of it!

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.