Save 15% On Excire Foto Software With Code: EXCIRE-EP

1.4x Teleconverter

jonah794 12 1.7k 11 United Kingdom
9 Nov 2009 5:19PM
So how much and where can I find the 300mm f/4?
Jonah
Overread 13 4.1k 19 England
9 Nov 2009 5:26PM
This is a good place to start finding dealers for a lens (when purchasing a new copy) link
the 300mm f4 is sitting at around the 1000 mark with 900 at the low end and 1100 at the highend. If you were to go second hand I would recomend checking the classfields on EPZ here link though there is no 300mm f4 currently listed. Ebay is also another good place and some of the stores like Warehouse Express as well as local shops will have second hand products as well from time to time (I think WE also does refurbished products as well which are just like new).

If you are going second hand I would try to deal as locally as possible or deal with a reputable dealer like WE simply to help ensure that you get a sold product with no faults *you can test a local lens easily*. Though second hand prices for good gear are not going to be worlds apart from the new price - though when money is tight even a small saving is a saving
justin c 17 5.1k 36 England
9 Nov 2009 5:32PM
If birds are a main interest I wouldn't bother with a 300mm, it's just too short for most occasions, even with a 1.4X converter attached.
You can work around the short focal length in some situations, but not all.
lawbert 14 1.8k 15 England
9 Nov 2009 5:43PM
If Birds are your main interest then I would say buy a bag of sunflower hearts and experiment with kit you have...
All wildlife will come to food...if you feed enough and watch enough then you will have very willing subjects and a lot more pounds in your pocket to get the lense you really crave when you can afford it.
Overread 13 4.1k 19 England
9 Nov 2009 5:48PM
Remebering of course (especailly as we are heading into winter now) that if you start providing a regular and reliable source of food then animals will react to that. A few birdseeds here and there won't make much different - its a small addition but won't affect the animals daily life. Start providing food on the table every day or few days for a longer period of time and they will come to rely upon that.
So if you do start giving regular feeds you will have to keep them up until the environment shifts back to one of plenty = thus meaning that the animal(s) in question and safly move onto another local food source.
9 Nov 2009 6:45PM
Thanks guys for the help. You know what? I think the Sigma 150-500mm might just be the best bet for me. And I don't particularly mind the small aperture... I will however be doing a LOT of saving up for possibly in later life a 500mm f/4?

Jonah
samfurlong 15 2.5k United Kingdom
9 Nov 2009 9:00PM

Quote:You are right though of course, good fieldcraft is extremely important but long (expensive) glass makes a humungous difference too

Christ yes, an ENORMOUS difference. I've got sat here under my desk a 500f4 and 800 f5.6 canon L's (about 16000 together) but possibly my favorite wildlife picture this year (and the one that has made the most cash) was shot on a 70-200mm. Okay so it was the 1700 2.8 IS version but the principle is the same - it could have been shot on a 200 jobbie.
9 Nov 2009 10:05PM
Yes I guess you have a point....
I will be getting the Sigma 150-500mm as I am only twelve years old. Also I don't have that much money Sad Hopefully when I am older I will Grin
Jonah
LenShepherd 13 4.4k United Kingdom
11 Nov 2009 8:51AM
Assuming you have the VR version (better than the earlier versions) it is a very good lens of the type with good 300mm performance for the money.
Whilst the Nikon e converters offer the highest Nikon quality on a few Nikon pro lenses they do not fit your lens Sad
Nikon AF works reasonably with any Nikon AF sensor on any Nikon body down to effective f8 with static subjects (like your kingfisher on it's chosen perches) - leaving you the Kenko Pro 300 1.4 option with AF - and VR if you have the VR version.
In my tests the Kenko on the VR version looses some quality at 300mm - but a lot less than cropping say 12 MP to 8 MP to get the same print magnification.
There are several lens (as distinct from converter) options - but they cost a lot more than the Kenko converter.
At this time of year you may be able build some sort of hide to try to get closer, though in the nesting season a special licence is needed to photograph a Kingfisher at our near the nest.
11 Nov 2009 5:53PM
Thanks for that...
I know you are assuming I have the VR version, but thanks to the fact I was on a budget when I was looking for a telephoto, and bagged the non-VR version. Trust me it is absolutely great for 49.99 Smile
Jonah
LenShepherd 13 4.4k United Kingdom
13 Nov 2009 6:14PM

Quote: I was on a budget when I was looking for a telephoto, and bagged the non-VR version. Trust me it is absolutely great for 49.99
Jonah

The Kenko works with it - though image quality and AF speed are lower than with the the more expensive VR version.
Obviously you are not going to get 400 f2.8 ultimate quality in big prints - but relative to the money (about 1.5% of the price of the prime for the Kenko) you can get decent results.
kenp 15 96 United Kingdom
17 Nov 2009 12:18AM

Quote:Quote:So please can you guys on here tell me which teleconverter to get with this lens.None.
Sorry it's not what you want to hear but even if a TC will physically fit, your AF performance is going to be dreadful and image quality probably the same.
When I was a young lad just getting into photography I found it frustrating too, trying to get extra length on a 14 year olds budget. Unfortunately I quickly realised that lenses of above 300mm or so require soem cash to be spent to get a setup that is workable so I dedicated my time to improving technique and fieldcraft in order to get closer to the subject.

take note of this comment!....field craft is a great skill to have,,,set up some perches nearer your hide for a start,check areas of the river/stream or lake where small fish shoal,that will be your Kingfisher's fishing spot. Improve your fieldcraft and there will be no need for a converter!...good luck.....Ken
20 Nov 2009 11:42PM

Quote:Quote:Quote:So please can you guys on here tell me which teleconverter to get with this lens.None.
Sorry it's not what you want to hear but even if a TC will physically fit, your AF performance is going to be dreadful and image quality probably the same.
When I was a young lad just getting into photography I found it frustrating too, trying to get extra length on a 14 year olds budget. Unfortunately I quickly realised that lenses of above 300mm or so require soem cash to be spent to get a setup that is workable so I dedicated my time to improving technique and fieldcraft in order to get closer to the subject.take note of this comment!....field craft is a great skill to have,,,set up some perches nearer your hide for a start,check areas of the river/stream or lake where small fish shoal,that will be your Kingfisher's fishing spot. Improve your fieldcraft and there will be no need for a converter!...good luck.....Ken

Yes I think you are right.

I am going down to my local river next weekend, so I will just sit and watch - and wait. I know a guy who lives on the river so I can ask him if he has seen one in the area. Thanks for the help though Smile

Jonah

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.