PortraitPro 21 - 50% OFF + an EXTRA 20% OFF! Use Code: EPZJS

10-20 or 10-22

clur 13 12 United Kingdom
24 Mar 2008 1:17PM
I personally love my Sigma 10-20,it does all i wan't it to do and more.

Claire
MalcolmS Plus
15 1.2k 13 England
24 Mar 2008 6:58PM
Get the Sigma, the price difference is not worth it for the Canon (my opinion). Have a look at my PF, latterley I have used this lens almost exclusively on both a 20d and now a 40d.

Malcolm
timbo 18 596 United Kingdom
24 Mar 2008 7:26PM
I bought the sigma on a ( end of tax year)whim. It's a lovely lens and has got mo out of more scrapes than i care to think about. On a lens of this length a fast maximum aperture is not as essential as on a telephoto.
Cristian 16 950 1
24 Mar 2008 10:00PM
I'm another Sigma 10-20 owner and love this lens. I treated myself to it, around this time last year. It's the most expensive lens I have bought so far, took a little persuading with the Missus, but is an absolute beaut. Sharp, great tomal range and it really opened up a new dimension for me.

I've used mine for mainly landscape, but also car show images.

One thing I will say, is that you need to budget for a decent UV filter (for protection) and also bigger ND grad filters if you use them. Has to be Lee or the cheaper Cokin Z-Pros.

Cristian
Hugeknot 15 1.2k 2 Iceland
25 Mar 2008 12:46AM
I am a 10-22 owner and it is my favoutie lens! no complaints Smile
nickfrog 14 333
25 Mar 2008 1:15AM
Another vote for the 10-20 ; super sharp; well built ; the extra speed of the Canon is not crucial at this kind of focal lenght.
Sep 13 1.3k England
25 Mar 2008 5:00AM
Most opinions seem to swing towards the sigma,and as i said in the initial post,cash is tight,i think its definatly the siggy for me.
Thank you all.
philtaylorphoto 19 334 2
26 Mar 2008 8:23PM
I've had the Siggy 10-20 for 2 years now, and it's a lovely interiors workhorse lens. My lenses get to work in hot greasy kitchens for a living, and every now and again get flame roasted- www.philtaylorphoto.co.uk/tooclose.mov

Trust me, that hurt!

Never found a need to use a UV filter, as finding one that won't vignette is a challenge. Keeping the lens hood attached is pretty good protection. With a UV filter, consider the extra amount of glass that it has to look through at an oblique angle at the edges, compared to the centre.

As an alternative, why not look at the 12-24 Sigma? Might be a good long term investment if you don't need the extra 2mm, as it's capable of full frame coverage.
User_Removed 12 12 United Kingdom
30 Mar 2008 12:58AM

Quote:I'm in need of a wider angle than my sigma 17-70mm for interior architectural shots.Joe.

I have the 10-20 Sigma and would be wary of using it for architectural shots due to the unusual distortions it has - not easy to correct. Unfortunately it seems that all really wide angle lenses have this problem.
Carabosse 17 41.5k 270 England
30 Mar 2008 2:02AM

Quote:Unfortunately it seems that all really wide angle lenses have this problem

It's not a problem as such, just the nature of the beast.

You can do quite a bit in PS with the transfrom tool to, e.g. correct converging verticals. Well, up to a point anyway!
uggyy 15 2.1k 9 Scotland
30 Mar 2008 2:24AM
I can tell you one thing too, the build quality if it is anything like the 12-24 Tokina is 1st class also.
User_Removed 12 12 United Kingdom
30 Mar 2008 2:54AM

Quote:You can do quite a bit in PS with the transfrom tool to, e.g. correct converging verticals. Well, up to a point anyway!

As I'm suffering from insomina too Wink I've just found an interesting PS plug-in called PTLens which has databases of most lens distortion characteristics, including the Sigma. It won't break the bank as well - only $15!

http://epaperpress.com/ptlens/

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.