Amazon Music Unlimited Offer: 3-Months For FREE!

10 months of restrictions

DaveRyder Plus
7 5.3k 9 United Kingdom
24 Jan 2021 10:53AM
We are now 10 months some level of restrictions due to a certain virus and have all had to adapt and accept not doing some things we enjoyed and took for granted.... However, have you done something you never expected to do because of this.

My starter for 10.

I never expected to have to cut my wife's hair - or for that matter, her to either ask me too or let me.
mrswoolybill Plus
14 2.8k 2403 United Kingdom
24 Jan 2021 11:22AM
We have walked local footpaths that we had not explored since our early days in this house, 31 years ago. They include a path that runs down the side of the estate, that we were not even aware of previously.
We discovered the Great War channel on YouTube, which ran from 2014 to 2018, covering the unfolding events week by week, in much greater detail than the excellent BBC series from the 1960s. It should be compulsory viewing, in particular it demonstrates how much of the war did not involve Britain.
The same team's Second World War series is now running week by week.
We have always loved Shakespeare, but getting to the theatre was an expedition from here. Early on in the first lockdown we discovered the BBC iplayer Culture in Quarantine menu, with a number of productions from the Globe and RSC. That led us to explore what was available on disc, and that basically is how we have spent the cash that we saved by not going out for coffees and lunches. We have acquired around half the plays, some in four or five productions, which are fascinating to compare.
I taught myself hieroglyphs. I could do Ancient Egyptian sums. Then I forgot them...
And then, yes, there are the delights of the home-cut fringe... Wink
Life is different, I miss seeing people, but I don't think we have ever been stuck for something to do.
SlowSong Plus
12 9.6k 30 England
24 Jan 2021 11:45AM
I have come to appreciate paper goods, the tissue type. I now can't get out of the habit of separating the layers of Mansized tissues and just using one layer at a time. I think it's here for a lifetime .
Willpower 10 505 United Kingdom
24 Jan 2021 11:55AM

Quote:We discovered the Great War channel on YouTube, which ran from 2014 to 2018,

Perhaps just 100 years out here ? Grin
24 Jan 2021 12:00PM
Moira - Great War? Did you mean 1914 - 1918? I hope so otherwise I missed it completely!

Loads of crocheted baby clothes - but then I probably would have done those anyway as I have two new Great-grandaughters, one 4 months old the other 1 month old - and it will be the first time any of my family have had a baby and I have not been one of the first to cuddle the new born. Have only seen photos to date. Lots of chatting, using a video chat room, with my daughters - first time I have done that. Taken my first photos with a phone! Never would have done that. And a new dog in the family who I haven't yet met - which is another 'not done' whilst still a puppy. Left my Christmas tree up - never done that although always wanted to. It is now a bit dusty but cheers me no end in the evening, specially as they are still so dark. Joined Amazon Prime so that I could always have next day delivery - but don't use the music/videos section. Visited L'Ouevre and wandered through the galleries. Never realised it was so huge. Unimpressed by Mona Lisa! But today I should be in London with tickets for the Ballet - but obviously cancelled. Hopefully next year. Read around 50 books and watched almost the whole series of 'House'. Nothing momentous but then I merely wanted to stay safe and well. BTW Dave - I haven't cut my hair nor had anyone to cut it - it is just a lot longer!
woolybill1 Plus
14 37 77 United Kingdom
24 Jan 2021 12:02PM

Quote:
Quote:We discovered the Great War channel on YouTube, which ran from 2014 to 2018,

Perhaps just 100 years out here ? Grin

Not at all: The Great War ran from 1914 to 1918; the YouTube Great War Channel followed it week by week a hundred years later, i.e. from 2014 to 2018.
YouTube wasn't around to do the job in 1914-18.

B
mrswoolybill Plus
24 Jan 2021 12:06PM

Quote:Moira - Great War? Did you mean 1914 - 1918? I hope so otherwise I missed it completely!

No, I meant the Great War Channel, which ran from 2014 to 2018 and is still available.

Quote:Perhaps just 100 years out here ?

It's called a centenary...
dark_lord Plus
17 2.8k 767 England
24 Jan 2021 12:41PM
That's how I read it Moira, a series 100 years on following events in real time.
The subtelty of language...

I can't say there's anything in particular I've done that I ddin't think I'd do, but plenty I haven't done that ordinarily I would or could have done.It's more a case of doing more of something that perhaps I wouldn't have done, such as puttng up some blogs on here, which reminds me...
saltireblue Plus
10 11.8k 75 Norway
24 Jan 2021 2:56PM

Quote:We discovered the Great War channel on YouTube, which ran from 2014 to 2018, covering the unfolding events week by week, in much greater detail than the excellent BBC series from the 1960s

I remember watching enthralled, every week, the series 'All Our Yesterdays' which ran originally from 1960 to 1973, and which related the events of that week 25 years ago. I think the presenter was Brian Inglis...
It taught me far more about 20th century history than we ever were taught at school, and I found it vastly more relevant, too.
dark_lord Plus
17 2.8k 767 England
24 Jan 2021 4:16PM
History was the one subject I never did for an exam at school. Numerous reasons.
I'm sure I'd have been in Greaseball's class.
There was, or at least appeared to be, a lot about kings and queens. I could guess the interesting bits between 1640 and 1660 were omitted Wink
I found battles without machine guns and aircraft such as Spitfires and Lancasters for example rather uninteresting
Why it would have to wait until A Level (I learned from a guy in a higher year) to learn about WW1.
I learnt about WW2 from The World at War from the 1970s TV series (which is doing the rouns on Yesterday on what appears a never ending loop so you won't miss anything) and a lot of reading.
I was more interested in science and technology, the moon missions had just finished and Skylab had just launched.

Abandoned Engineering (on Yesterday) is a mix of science, technology, history and war.

A bit off topic but Malc mentioned History Tongue
Dave_Canon 14 2.0k United Kingdom
24 Jan 2021 5:02PM
I also did little history as it was technical school which concentrated on Maths and Science. However, since I retired I have studied a lot of history including Open University short courses. I am currently reading All Hell Let Loose by Max Hastings which covers the entire WWII. Max has written many other books covering aspects of WWII in detail so he has avoided repeating and is using mainly accounts from real people. Nobody comes out that well and Max does not pull punches on poor decisions or performance by any country. He certainly destroys the glamorous ideas about war by showing the painful reality. Max also wrote a regular article for one of the Newspapers covering 1914-1918 but also published exactly 100 years on. I guess I was doing this anyway but have just spent more time reading and researching.

One thing that I have done in the last period which I did not expect to do was going through older images to see if I could improve them. As I had almost no new images, what else could I do.

Dave
mrswoolybill Plus
24 Jan 2021 5:59PM
We have the Great War and World at War series in DVD box sets, both are excellent but increasingly one sees the gaps - particularly as they were made before Eastern European archives were opened up.
I guess YouTube history has been a major revelation in the last year. The Second World War channel produced a five-hour special covering the events of Pearl Harbour in real time. We still have to watch that...
On a separate track, it has also been fascinating to look into the ways in which Shakespeare rewrote history for dramatic effect. Hotspur was over twice Prince Hal's age when they met at Shrewsbury, whereas they are presented as contemporaries...
JJGEE 16 7.9k 18 England
24 Jan 2021 7:09PM

Quote:However, have you done something you never expected to do because of this.

Not really.
justin c 17 5.1k 36 England
24 Jan 2021 7:37PM

Quote:However, have you done something you never expected to do because of this.

Stayed indoors far too much Sad
altitude50 16 21.4k United Kingdom
24 Jan 2021 7:38PM
I decided that getting involved with the liquid splash art work that I admired was a way to use my camera indoors,as I was in self-isolation. I bought the SplashArt equipment in about May, took thousands of splash photos and kept about 20% of them. (This was because it was not designed to synch. with my Sony a7 shutter and most were taken by guesswork!) Two flashes with an electronic trigger were used.
My favourites were taken of splashes of milk against various coloured backgrounds.Grin
I sold the equipment at a small loss and am now using a simple set-up with a bottle of water, stand and three flashguns, two of which are cheap slave flashguns.
Might start doing it seriously again because the Splashart now connects with Sony.
I am certain that I would not have done these in normal circumstances.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.