Get 70% Off Franzis Cutout 8 Pro Background Editor Software

£1000 to spend

SexyDan 13 14 1 United Kingdom
12 Feb 2009 9:37PM
I have sold some free shares from work, in order to buy some more equipment. I have posted this in the Sony area as that is personally the brand that I like to deal with.

I'm interested in what people thoughts are on how I should spend this.
I currently have a DSLR-A100 with 18-70mm and 75-300 mm lenses.
My thought is to maybe get a DSLR-A700 and the HVL-F58am flash; this can be done online with in my budget.
Another body is a must, as Iím going to do my friends wedding so would like my A-100 as a spare.
I do love wildlife /landscape photography, and wonder weather getting the A-350, and a lenses, and some filters would add more benefit to my collection, I see the Sony ND Filter is £50, (Iím sure I read it was a filter of 8.0, which is why I guess the price)

Peopleís thoughts and advice will be appreciated as I am hopeless at making decisions with a large sum of money!

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

strawman 16 22.1k 16 United Kingdom
12 Feb 2009 10:22PM
Just been watching Hustle, can I interest you in a Sony lens laundering scheme Smile

On a serious note, wildlife tends to be the sort of subject where long focal length lenses operating wide open with high ISO for a fair number of times is the norm. Now the Sony lens catalogue is a bit empty at that end, so you could spend the £1,000 and a bit more on their 80-400 (trade in your 75-300), or you could look to switch to Canon or Nikon who dominate more in this area.

Sticking to Sony, I would rather upgrade to the A700 than the A350. Its ergonomics and handling is a lot better and the sensor is CMOS, another advantage for wildlife and high ISO work etc.

As for landscapes, Sony have some nice upgrades to the wide angle end. Plus there is always the EPZ standard landscape lens of Sigma 10-20.

For filters, think of get 100mm square graduated filters. Lee are a popular recommendation.
GreyMoonRising 11 1.5k 1
12 Feb 2009 10:26PM
Hello Dan, lucky you having all the spare cash.

I also had the a100 and got rid of it pretty quick due to the noise on it...have "upgraded" to a newer Alpha model and think it's great.

Some of the Minolta D lenses are/were very good and still very easy to get of course.

Or if you still have doubts after a few days...email me the money and I will spend it wisely for you.

Peter
12 Feb 2009 10:32PM
Peter

Can i ask which model you have upgraded to peter?

Thanks
GreyMoonRising 11 1.5k 1
13 Feb 2009 11:51AM
Hi Dan, Have a look at my pics and see what you think.
Photogeek 14 605 6 Wales
13 Feb 2009 5:09PM
I'm in the same position as yourself, with a Alpha 100, and looking to upgrade . . .I tend to shoot in the Studio so noise isn't an issue for me . . . not being a fan of on Camera flash I would be able to dedicate the entire sum to the camera body . . . which still leaves me short 700 quid for the Alpha 900 Sad looking at Camera price buster the A700 body can be had for 560, and with that 16-105 lens for 800 . . . I'm not sure about the 350 as an upgrade, although the 700 is a significant improvement in physical quality, with a slight improvement in image quality . . . and with the 1.04 firmware upgrade a better low light performance . . . If I had the money then there is no doubt it would go on the Alpha 700. . . . and the last day of Photoshow is just after my birthday Smile . . . No Stop It I mustn't!!

Filter wise Lee or Hi Tech Square Filters are more flexible and good quality
13 Feb 2009 10:28PM
Grey Moon Rising i think your pics are great, the wof pics are amazing, as well as the landscape with the 1 chap in.

Photogeek, thanks for the camera price buster site, looks like i won't need to use ebay after all which pleases me, i think i shall go for the A-700, use my current lenses, and get sme filters.

Thanks Guys
Snapper_T 15 867 United Kingdom
14 Feb 2009 12:23AM
I think thats the right decision so far Dan. You will love the A700. The next thing to review is the lenses. I use the Sigma 24-70 2.8, If you going to be a wedding then this will be a great lens. If you can pick up a 'beercan' Minolta 70-210 f4, then that will be a good buy also, and a (Minolta) 50mm 1.7, is still an amazing lens if you want a sharp and fast prime.

If the Sony HVL-58 is a bit pricey, then look for the 5600hsd or sony equiv, great units but without the new features of the 58.

Oh, as you can't attend the Focus event, it may be worth checking out the dealer list and ringing them to see if offers are extended beyond the show, you might get a deal on something.

Trev
dwilkin 13 24.3k United Kingdom
19 Feb 2009 7:07PM
Another vote for the A700 - fantastic camera! I'm looking for a longer top end than my Sigma 70-300. Anyone any suggestions for around £800 or so?
conrad 15 10.9k 116
19 Feb 2009 7:13PM
How about the Sigma 150-500mm OS? Costs 880 euros over here, which is about the same amount of money.
dwilkin 13 24.3k United Kingdom
19 Feb 2009 10:20PM
Looks like it could be worth a look - I'm at Focus next Wednesday, so I'll try and find one there to have a look at!

EDIT: I've just re-read that sentence, and I think there's at least one too many 'look's in it! Wink
thewilliam 11 6.1k
21 Feb 2009 10:39AM
I've been a Nikon user for the past 30 years but the focussing of the D3 is disappointing. In the studio (95% of my work) it doesn't lock on as quickly as I's like and cuases me to miss shots. From what I can gather it's the camera and not me.

I've been thinking at the Sony offerings because they're reputed to focus better and the Zeiss lenses are miles better than anything Nikon or Canon can offer. The A900 isn't weather sealed but, in a studio, it doesn't need to be. I'll know after FOCUS!
Coleslaw 14 13.4k 28 Wales
21 Feb 2009 10:49AM

Quote:I've been a Nikon user for the past 30 years but the focussing of the D3 is disappointing. In the studio (95% of my work) it doesn't lock on as quickly as I's like and cuases me to miss shots. From what I can gather it's the camera and not me.

Have you seen Cheryl's PF? I would be damned if it is quick enough for wildlife but not for studio.
Picture_Newport 11 659 19 United Kingdom
21 Feb 2009 10:53AM

Quote:Have you seen Cheryl's PF? I would be damned if it is quick enough for wildlife but not for studio.

Which Cheryl woulkd that be, is there only one on the site?
Coleslaw 14 13.4k 28 Wales
21 Feb 2009 10:54AM

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.