Get 50% off Adobe CC Photography plan with any X-Rite ColorChecker Photo product!

£1000 to spend

thewilliam 11 6.1k
21 Feb 2009 3:24PM
My problem isn't the speed of focussing but the D3's ability to lock onto the subject, often of low-ish contrast or in low light. I prefer to work with the modelling lights turned down low.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

strawman 16 22.1k 16 United Kingdom
21 Feb 2009 6:04PM
What lens are you using?

From what I understand, the D3 has about the best AF system you are going to find. Have you tried enabling the focus assist if the camera has it or fitting a flashgun so it can use the AF assist (whilst turning the flash off of course). not a D3 owner but I find it hard to believe a camera that has had so many rave reviews has such a basic flaw.

That the A900 has a flash assist light built in that may give it an advantage. And while the new Sony lenses are good, the top Nikon and Canon glass is pretty good as well, so its not going to be that big a difference.
6 Jul 2009 3:44PM

Quote:I have sold some free shares from work, in order to buy some more equipment. I have posted this in the Sony area as that is personally the brand that I like to deal with.

I'm interested in what people thoughts are on how I should spend this.
I currently have a DSLR-A100 with 18-70mm and 75-300 mm lenses.
My thought is to maybe get a DSLR-A700 and the HVL-F58am flash; this can be done online with in my budget.
Another body is a must, as Iím going to do my friends wedding so would like my A-100 as a spare.
I do love wildlife /landscape photography, and wonder weather getting the A-350, and a lenses, and some filters would add more benefit to my collection, I see the Sony ND Filter is £50, (Iím sure I read it was a filter of 8.0, which is why I guess the price)

Peopleís thoughts and advice will be appreciated as I am hopeless at making decisions with a large sum of money!

6 Jul 2009 3:49PM
A700 + 70-400 + 16-80 CZ would take some beating, you would never need another lens as the 70-400 will take macro type pictures.
Alan
Snapper_T 16 867 United Kingdom
8 Jul 2009 8:44PM

Quote:A700 + 70-400 + 16-80 CZ would take some beating, you would never need another lens as the 70-400 will take macro type pictures.
Alan

But the 70-400 is a HUGE lens, so you would need a gym membership to enable you to carry it Smile

Trev
dwilkin 13 24.3k United Kingdom
8 Jul 2009 9:05PM
it's a little LESS weighty than my Sigma 150-500. With that lens, the length of it is more of a problem than the weight...

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.