10D Failure

srh 15 54 1 United Kingdom
18 Feb 2005 4:18AM
About 5 weeks ago, I got the dreaded error99 on my 10D. It would take one shot and then lock up. When the image was viewed, it was very badly over exposed and / or had a bright band right across it.

The camera is away being repaired at the moment. Got some feedback today on what had exactly gone wrong. I'm being told that one of the PCB's (presumably Power Control Board?) has failed and needs to be replaced. Does anyone have any knowledge or info about this type of failure on the 10D. The camera has done 60,000+ shots in a little under 18 months so my fear is that I get this fixed only for the shutter mechanism to then fail - or is this one and the same thing? Sorry if I've asked a daft question or two in amongst this lot, but an electronics engineer I'm not.

Cheers,

Simon.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

chris.maddock 18 3.7k United Kingdom
18 Feb 2005 4:33AM
PCB is printed circuit board - and there are several in modern cameras, even more in digitals.
It's unlikely to be directly related to the shutter, which is electro-mechanical. From your description of the results, I'd guess it's to do with the metering processing circuitry.
I would imagine that Canon will check it all out before returning it to you anyway - they may even clean the sensor too if they think it needs doing.

KRs
Chris

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.