Save 15% On Excire Foto Software With Code: EXCIRE-EP

16GB Card Only 8GB - What to do?

Rev2 11 302 2 England
10 Jan 2012 8:55PM
A few months ago a friend of mine did some electrical work for me and wouldn't let me pay for it. I'd been quoted 100 previously so, being a fellow tog, I thought I'd buy him a Duracell card for his Canon 7D. I was with him at the weekend and asked how he was getting on with it to which came the reply "I didn't want to say anything but it's only 8 gig so I don't use it". Right enough, I checked in camera and with no images it's only 7.8GB. I feel let down as I paid for a 32GB card and got an 8, he feels let down as he's got a cheapo card for a hundred quids worth of work

I emailed the seller through Amazon and I haven't received a reply in 3 days. Has anyone had a similar experience? How long should I wait? Any tips welcome.
MikeRC 16 3.6k United Kingdom
10 Jan 2012 9:24PM
I assume the card is marked 32 gig and you've formatted it in the camera.
I would email Amazon direct, not the seller, explain and I'm sure it'll be sorted.
rogerfry 16 543 United Kingdom
10 Jan 2012 9:26PM
Ring Amazon customer care on 0844 4145334 and get them to follow it through.
cameracat 17 8.6k 61 Norfolk Island
10 Jan 2012 9:59PM
Post says 16Gb, But reference in post says 32GB.....Not that it matters much, Just serves to confuse.....!!!

That said, " Duracell " and memory cards, Not a brand I would think of for memory card purchase, Batteries for sure......Grin

Chances are Duracell don't make the cards themselves, Most likely bought in very high quantities from an OEM supplier, Sold to who ever wants to brand them.....!!!

Might even be fakes.....Sad Who knows, Lets face it memory cards are not that expensive these days, Buy from reputable dealers who have a good reputation, Buy " Brands " that actually make memory cards and have a reputation for supreme quality, Follow these rules and you will have little or no problems......!!!!!!!!!

Brands to buy include Sandisk/Lexar/Kingston but do check the specs and make sure your camera can actually see or are compatible with the bigger sized cards, If in doubt check makers web site and or memory suppliers for specifics.
KevSB 17 1.5k 5 United Kingdom
10 Jan 2012 10:18PM
Durecell are manufactured by Dane-elec, which I believe are a budget suplier, I have always used sandisk myself which have never let me down
Rev2 11 302 2 England
10 Jan 2012 10:40PM

Quote:Post says 16Gb, But reference in post says 32GB.....Not that it matters much, Just serves to confuse.....!!!

That said, " Duracell " and memory cards, Not a brand I would think of for memory card purchase, Batteries for sure......Grin

Chances are Duracell don't make the cards themselves, Most likely bought in very high quantities from an OEM supplier, Sold to who ever wants to brand them.....!!!

Might even be fakes.....Sad Who knows, Lets face it memory cards are not that expensive these days, Buy from reputable dealers who have a good reputation, Buy " Brands " that actually make memory cards and have a reputation for supreme quality, Follow these rules and you will have little or no problems......!!!!!!!!!

Brands to buy include Sandisk/Lexar/Kingston but do check the specs and make sure your camera can actually see or are compatible with the bigger sized cards, If in doubt check makers web site and or memory suppliers for specifics.

Apologies I can't edit my post, it's marked up as 16GB and showing as 7.8GB. I don't know if it's been formatted, I'll ask but it seems odd that it has shown 7.8GB since new. I usually buy Sandisk but, as I say, it was for someone else who shoots single frames and I was being a bit of a cheapskate. The seller is 7dayshop who seemed to have a good reputation.

Thanks for the replies, I'll phone Amazon in the morning and see what they recommend.
Graysta 16 1.1k England
11 Jan 2012 6:33AM
I bought a Duracell card through 7 dayshop to give it a try thinking that Duracell may have opted for a resonable quality product, the first card was replaced by 7dayshop due to read write erreor and the replacement has started to play up with the same symptoms, so it's going back for a refund this time. I never usually use anything but Sandisk and have no problems with them.
I would try to get a refund and buy a smaller capacity Sandisk for around the same value.
rogerfry 16 543 United Kingdom
11 Jan 2012 9:37AM
I normally use Sandisk or Lexar cards, but I have got four Duracell cards which were bought via 7dayshop. Three of them work have performed perfectly for thousands of shots, but the other one had serious problems (showed a small fraction of the shot, with the rest of the frame taken up with a mass of coloured stripes). Interestingly, the bad one had a slightly different logo to the others, so it may be that there are some fakes mixed up with the genuine ones. 7dayshop exchanged it with no problem, and the replacement has worked perfectly.
Having said that, you are probably better off sticking with Sandisk/Lexar/Kingston as recommended by previous posters.
davey_griffo 12 213 165 England
11 Jan 2012 12:33PM
As hinted at by Vince, are you sure that the cameras you've tried it in can address 16Gb cards? If they can only use 8Gb that may be your problem. It's possible your camera can only see 8Gb so is formating the card as such.

32 bit Windows is similar. I put 8 Gb in my PC. Because 32 bit can only address 3.5, that's all it reported until I went 64 bit.

Having said that, the other posters are reporting a lot of problems with Memorex cards. I'd get a refund & buy Sandisc. I always use them in my D-SLR & have never had any problems. I have used some cheap, unbranded/no-name ones too without problem, but I may just have been lucky. Also I haven't used them much (they are only a stand-by), so may not have found a fault yet.
Rev2 11 302 2 England
11 Jan 2012 1:00PM
The camera is a Canon 7D which can handle my Transcend UDMA 32GB card so I'm pretty sure it's an 8GB with a 16GB sticker on it. I've just received an email from 7dayshop offering to refund or replace so I'll get my money back and buy a Sandisk as recommended by most posters though it's now going to cost me a lot more to buy a 16GB Sandisk. I don't think I'll get any more work done for free if I replace it with an 8GB! Thanks for all your replies.
11 Jan 2012 1:12PM
if you open disk management in windows, it should show you the card and show you exactly what size it is, perhaps it was initially formatted wrong and you are only using 1/2 the cards space. (go my computer, right click, manage, disk management) if it says 8gb then I would get onto Amazon and file a claim as the others have said
thewilliam 13 6.1k
11 Jan 2012 11:29PM
Whenever we buy cards, we do a "goods inward" check:-

Put them into the PCMCIA slot of a computer, using an adapter, and then do a "safely remove hardware". You get a message on the screen telling you who made the card and what size it really is. The two classic faker tricks are relabelling a cheapie to look like a top brand and/or bigger than it really is.

We've never yet had one that wasn't what it said on the label but then we always buy from reputable sources.
Rev2 11 302 2 England
11 Jan 2012 11:35PM
Interesting. Would you know why my Kingston 8GB card shows half the capacity if I take just one RAW image? I've formatted it several times and it's always the same. If I delete the photo it goes back to 8GB although the image is 'only' 25MB.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.