GB Sports Photographer & The Panasonic LUMIX S1

17-40 vs 24mm TS-E

LesF 13 182 9
20 Jul 2015 6:11PM
A good read with solid reasoning about your 16-35 lens purchase Ade,it's not alway about the nice to have, I fact it should never be focused on that.
I think the original post was along similar lines would the 17- 40 do the job instead of a 24mm Mk1 TS
A plus for me using the 24mm TS is I can use it as virtual 35mm when coupled with the 1.4 extender ok I loose a stop but shooting architecture, sea/landscapes it's not an issue

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

ade_mcfade 15 15.2k 216 England
20 Jul 2015 7:52PM
Mr Spurdens was the one responsibe for that 16-35 purchase, and it is rather splendid - use it all the time. Things like all the stage shots when we are in theatres, groups of recruitment consultants which I shot last week and it's not a bad walk around lens for buildings.

not done a huge amount of landscape with it yet though. not done much landscape at all - just not really been motivated to get out recently, think I need to travel further as I've done Yorkshire over and over and over, in every season...
arhb Plus
12 3.4k 68 United Kingdom
21 Jul 2015 6:35PM
Maybe this should have started out with a title about whether to buy a 24mm standard prime or a 24mm tse prime but it's too late for that.
The question has been answered for me about the edge sharpness, and just through reading reviews it comes across that the chromatic abberations have been minimised, that is on the 24mm TSE mk2, and I might just have to save some extra for that.
If I have a set of images that need to be prepared for an architect or an interior designer, I want to minimise the time I have to spend preparing them in post, not to mention allowing when shooting for what I need left after adjusting verticals etc, when I can use a lens that takes care of this. I would even allow a minute adjustment/crop after all other post work was complete after using a TSE lens.
@ LesF, I've been watching some tutorials by Mike Kelley, who also recommends having a 1.4tc in the kit bag, to use with the 17mm and 24mm TSE lenses to make for a more versatile set of focal lengths, and as luck would have it, I already have one!

Some great comments and points of view to consider, not forgetting an interesting blog post from Ade, so thanks all for your input.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.