1DS MKIII USA

toonboy 15 75 United Kingdom
8 Sep 2008 7:20PM
Apart from the voltage aspeact are there any other differences between a USA and British camera

Thanks for any advice given

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

rgarrigus 12 25 7 England
8 Sep 2008 7:29PM
Hi Ken,

Nope and all you need is a US to UK adaptor for the charger. I use mine in the UK and all over Europe with no issues.

Where you register and send it for repairs might be different though.

Cheers!

BOb G.
toonboy 15 75 United Kingdom
8 Sep 2008 8:08PM
Great news

Thanks Bob
LenShepherd 11 4.1k United Kingdom
8 Sep 2008 10:26PM
I would check if you get an international warranty on a USA Canon digital body.
Digital bodies come complete with battery charger which makes them electrical appliances for import legislation purposes.
The electrical compliance requirements vary between USA, EEC, Australia etc and in theory it is an offence to sell electric equipment which is not certified (and with the correct electric plug) for the country in which it is being sold.
Obviously you have to pay VAT on import otherwise you do not legally own it - Customs & Excise do.
Interestingly Sigma will not handle grey imports unless there is evidence VAT has been paid - I am not sure what Canon do.
Nikon have a digital body number code for each "electrical" territory so a 3 series Nikon body (USA) has to go back to USA for warranty work.
Overread 11 4.1k 19 England
8 Sep 2008 10:33PM
I belive canon still honour the international warrenty - though I have not direct experience of this myself
cambirder 16 7.2k England
8 Sep 2008 11:01PM
Why would you want to get one from the US?

UK Shop = 4650

US Shop = 4445 * (5224 when you add VAT)
Carabosse 16 41.4k 270 England
9 Sep 2008 12:51AM
And as well as import VAT you would, unless bringing it over yourself, have to add shipping and post ofice/courier handling charge. Also an international warranty (e.g. by a company like Mack).... about 150 for most DSLRs I think but may be more for a 1Ds Mk III.

Quote:I belive canon still honour the international warrenty

To the best of my knowledge: Lenses yes. Body no.
User_Removed 18 7.3k 6 United Kingdom
9 Sep 2008 7:56AM
A while back I bought a Canon 500mm from B&H in New York. Even with import duty and VAT, I saved a huge amount of money. The differential between lens prices in the US and Europe was extremely high back then (a few years ago) - enough to also purchase a Wimberley head and another lens with the saving! It also came as CB says, with an International Warranty.

Bodies are a slightly different matter. Whilst they do not attract import duty, as has been suggested, they do not come with an International Warranty and frankly, the price differential between US and UK is not as great to make it an interesting prospect in my opinion. Additionally (and this was the case just before I moved to Nikon so not sure if it still is), Canon UK offered 2 year warranties on all 1D 3's and 1Ds 3's whereas in the US, it's still only 1 year
domhenry 12 111 England
9 Sep 2008 1:33PM
I looked into this before with a view to some US shopping...

Alas Canon DSLR warranty is local region specific only, any warranty servicing for a Camera bought in the States would have to be sent back to Canon USA at your own expense. Canon UK were quite clear they would not honour any DSLR with US warranty, although they did say they cover items with standard international warranty which includes lenses and compacts.

So, given the falling exchange rate you may be better buying your body in the UK.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.