WEX Offer: Save 50 On The Olympus OM-D E-M1X

1GB of FREE online storage with your Gmail account

synaesthesia 16 389 England
5 Jan 2005 2:21AM
Shooting Raw - it's the only way forward, but with each file clocking in at 6MB, I started to sweat about my upcoming trip to Italy. 100-130 pics? Nowhere near enough. No way can I afford ANOTHER bloody flash card.

So this is what I'm going to do.

1. Use my 1GB flash card until it is full.

2. Take my skint ass to an Internet Cafe armed with USB cable.

3. Install the Gmail Storage Drive program (119Kb) and plug in my camera. All being well.

4. Transfer all my pics onto my Gmail account.

5. Format Flash Card

6. Start again.

BTW if anybody wants a Gmail account, I have 6 invited left. Post your email address and I'll send you one.
snowman 16 391 England
5 Jan 2005 3:06AM
Al, sounds like a must have so I'd love one please

Phil(at)Philandlinda(dot)co (dot)uk

Thanks in anticipation

Phil
debbiehardy 16 363 United Kingdom
5 Jan 2005 3:11AM
Sounds good to me...debbie at dvdreams.co.uk, if you still have any left. Thanks for the great advice!
kit-monster 17 3.7k 2 Singapore
5 Jan 2005 3:21AM
Eeek! Don't want to ruin your great idea but . . . GSD breaks googles T&C's and whilst they don't prevent it for being used there's nothing to stop them. Also Gmail is frequently updated as it's still a beta product and previous upgrades have broken GSD. I'm not sure I'd want to accept that much risk with my images. Still a nice idea . . . if you've got broadband set up your PC as an FTP server. Gmail gave me six more invites for xmas - can't give them away now!
agoreira 17 6.0k Wales
5 Jan 2005 3:22AM
The gmail storage can be useful, but it might be worth bearing in mind that it is still experimental, and comes with the following warning. You might be advised not to put all your eggs in this basket! Smile

"Please note that GMail Drive is still an experimental tool. There's still a number of limitations of the file-system (such as total filename size must be less than 40 characters). Since the tool hooks up with the free GMail Service provided by Google, changes in the GMail system may break the tools ability to function.I cannot guarantee that files stored in this manner will be accessible in the future.

10 Nov. update: While Google keeps improving their GMail service, they also tend to break the tool's ability to connect to GMail. Version 1.0.4 was released to overcome the latest changes. Please be aware that support for this tool may suspend at any time if Google decides to block its use."

Just seen that kitmonster beat me to it by about 20 seconds! :-(
synaesthesia 16 389 England
5 Jan 2005 3:22AM
Both sent, Phil and Debbie.

Ah, I didn't know that.

I have used this method of storing files to transfer between work and home for about 3 months without any problems.

Use at your own risk I guess.
snowman 16 391 England
5 Jan 2005 4:01AM
Al, thanks for the account I look forward to seeing whats available.

Thanks for the warnings guys but I saw this as a way of moving files whilst away from home more than back up storage. I have a phototainer as my back up. I still value the warning and will make sure I keep up to date with the T&C's. Thanks again

Phil
davidb 18 73 United Kingdom
5 Jan 2005 4:20AM
Hi,
Are there any of the GMail invites still going? I am sure I registered months ago but never heard a thing. Thanks in advance if anyone has a spare - david (dot) baker13 (at) ntlworld (dot) com

all the best

David
digicammad 17 22.0k 39 United Kingdom
5 Jan 2005 4:23AM
Just sent you one David
druane 16 45
5 Jan 2005 4:27AM
if you could please, declanruane at hotmail.com

ta.
bradleysmith 16 157 United Kingdom
5 Jan 2005 4:35AM
I have 6 invites going spare.
Ask me specifically (on this thread) if you want one from me, that way we won't end up duplicating invites.

Brad
davidb 18 73 United Kingdom
5 Jan 2005 4:36AM
Thanks Ian! If only getting clicks was this easy!

Oh bugger - now it looks like I am begging... lol

David B
LAF 17 1.7k
5 Jan 2005 8:07AM
Not to mention UPLOADING 1Gb, on standard broadband that would take about 8hrs! Yawn.

Lee.
gwyn h 16 432
5 Jan 2005 9:05AM
Addressed to Brad.

If you've one left I'd be grateful for an invite.

My email address can be found on my profile page, many thanks.

Gwyn
vfr400 18 886
5 Jan 2005 12:19PM
For Brad.

If you've one left I'd be grateful for an invite.

My email address can be found on my profile page, many thanks.

profile HERE

Thanks Chris

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.