2nd camera

Coleslaw 15 13.4k 28 Wales
19 Jan 2012 7:58PM
I have been thinking of getting a smaller camera, when I can't be bothered to take my 5D2 and lenses.
It doesn't need to be pocket size as I do prefer to be able to change lenses, rather than fixed.
It will be used for travelling (landscape and street), and also for shooting my dogs when out and about. So, ISO performance and focusing speed are very important.
I do like those slow-mo video function as well (if possible), as I think it would be fun for doggie videos.
My shortlists at the moment are Nikon 1 J1, PEN E-PL3, PEN E-PM1, Sony NEX 5/5N.
Budget is 500.
Any suggestions/recommendations?
Cheers.
User_Removed 16 17.9k 8 Norway
19 Jan 2012 8:22PM
Olympus EP-2.

Job Done.

Wink
User_Removed 10 4.6k 1 Scotland
19 Jan 2012 8:27PM
The only one I have experience of personally is the PEN E-PL3 which I do like. But if you are going to add, say, 3 lenses, it will take you above your 500.

Why not think about a light entry-level Canon dSLR such as the 350D secondhand, to which you could add, within your budget, a Sigma 18-200 DC OS lens?
19 Jan 2012 8:32PM
Nope, definitely don't want a DSLR.
I would rather get 3 than 2, Mike.
User_Removed 16 17.9k 8 Norway
19 Jan 2012 8:37PM
Why? The differences are minimal and the cost difference is huge....

3? - 8/900
2? - 300.

@ Leftforum.

One can use ANY lens on m4/3rds bodies so Cole can use ALL his existing Canon lenses to full effect - given the x2 CF.

Wink
19 Jan 2012 8:40PM
Focusing speed?
If I do get a PEN, I would go for EPL or EPM, not EP, as I do prefer it to be smaller.

Aye, the lens thingy is a plus for PEN.
Paul Morgan 19 19.5k 6 England
19 Jan 2012 9:08PM
These two are probably the smallest M4/3 camera`s.

Pen EPM1

What`s good, price, small form factor,fast af,inbody IS and wireless flash support.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Olympus--PM1-Compact-System-Camera/dp/B0058GI8F0/ref=sr_1_42?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1326765605&sr=1-42

Panasonic GF2

What`s good, price, quite small, and touch screen

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Panasonic-Lumix-Digital-Camera-14mm/dp/B004AE3964/ref=sr_1_6?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1327006810&sr=1-6

But there`s plenty more to choose between as well EP1/2 EPL1/2

I`m using a pany G2, but there`s no inbody IS or wireless flash support and these I really miss Sad
rogerfry 15 543 United Kingdom
19 Jan 2012 9:20PM
Quote "One can use ANY lens on m4/3rds bodies so Cole can use ALL his existing Canon lenses to full effect - given the x2 CF."

Not quite true, as Coleslaw states that focussing speed is one of his priorities, and none of the adaptors for 4/3rd cameras give auto focus capability.....also, with canon lenses you would have no control over aperture setting unless you lock off the aperture on a canon body by holding down the dof preview button and removing the lens after choosing the aperture you want to work with.

The NEX 5n with the kit 18-55 is a great little camera, and has the best video in its price range.
Forgot to add there`s also the Sony Nex and smart adapter that will allow you to use your Canon EF lenses, but this set up will take you over budget.

http://conurus.com/product/sony-nex/e-mount-canon-ef-detail

Quote:Not quite true, as Coleslaw states that focussing speed is one of his priorities, and none of the adaptors for 4/3rd cameras give auto focus capability.....also, with canon lenses you would have no control over aperture setting unless you lock off the aperture on a canon body by holding down the dof preview button and removing the lens after choosing the aperture you want to work with

No your wrong there, auto focus will be lost but there are adapters that allow aperture control.
Aye, I do like the price and size of E-PM1. But I have read these:

Quote:The E-PM1 offers High and Low-speed continuous shooting modes and you can define the speed for each option in the Custom C menu. As with previous PENs (and in contrast to current Panasonics at their lower frame rates) it's somewhat hamstrung for serious action work by the fact that live view isn't maintained in continuous shooting mode. Instead you get shown the picture two shots before the one you've just taken, which isn't very helpful when trying to track moving subjects (and results in a blank screen for the first two frames in a burst). Live view does however return a few seconds after you take your finger off the shutter button.

Quote:As seen on the E-P3, the E-PM1 includes an autofocus illuminator that addresses one of the big criticisms of previous PENs, which struggled to focus in low light. It's not a panacea - as usual it won't cover off-center subjects, its effective range is limited, and its proximity to the lens means it can be blocked by those with larger barrels - but it's a big improvement, and makes the camera much more usable in dimly-lit conditions.

Once your subject starts moving, though, things are a little less clear-cut. Contrast-detect AF systems have historically been less capable at tracking moving subjects than the phase-detection systems used in SLRs, so the E-PM1 has its work cut out to match this more-established technology. In continuous AF mode the camera's continuous frame rate drops dramatically while the camera checks focus between shots. And the lack of live view means you can't follow your subject between frames in continuous drive mode, so there's no way to ensure it stays covered by your selected AF point.

To combat this problem, the E-PM1 also has a subject tracking mode (C-AF+TR). Once you've designated a subject by focusing on it initially, then the camera will attempt to track it around the frame and keep it in focus, just as long as you keep the shutter half-pressed. But again, this has problems once you start shooting in continuous drive mode; naturally it only works if your subject stays within the frame (and there's no way of knowing this), and as soon as you release the shutter the camera stops tracking and resets the AF point.

All-in-all, while Olympus is certainly making some progress in this area, the E-PM1 still isn't the most practical camera for shooting moving subjects in the real world, even compared to other mirrorless cameras. For example Panasonic's implementation of continuous drive mode mode in the GF3 maintains live view between shots taken at up to 3fps, with AF tracking that stays locked onto your subject until you reset it. Pretty well any SLR will do better too.

19 Jan 2012 9:22PM

Quote:Forgot to add there`s also the Sony Nex and smart adapter that will allow you to use your Canon EF lenses, but this set up will take you over budget.

$399 for a bloody adaptor?! You are having a laugh.....Smile
19 Jan 2012 9:25PM
How much did you pay for your Canon lenses Col ?

And how much would two or three CSC lenses set you back ?
19 Jan 2012 9:27PM
I know what you mean, Paul.
I am only going to get it with 1-2 kit lens TBH. I am not going to buy a whole new series of lenses.
rogerfry 15 543 United Kingdom
19 Jan 2012 9:31PM

Quote:Forgot to add there`s also the Sony Nex and smart adapter that will allow you to use your Canon EF lenses, but this set up will take you over budget.
$399 for a bloody adaptor?! You are having a laugh.....Smile

Which is why, bearing in mind your budget, I said that you would have no control over aperture !

What I forgot to mention is that the NEX 5n has focus peaking, which is great.
19 Jan 2012 9:34PM

Quote:Which is why, bearing in mind your budget, I said that you would have no control over aperture !

What are you going on about, there`s no shortage of cheap adapters that allow aperture control.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Canon-EOS-EF-Lens-Micro-4-3-M4-3-adapter-aperture-/260875243099?pt=AU_Cameras_Photographic_Accessories&hash=item3cbd604e5b

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.