3,000,000!

lemmy 12 2.8k United Kingdom
26 Apr 2016 7:10PM
Just taken a look at my YouTube Channel. It's gone past 3,000,000 hits. I thought when I started it that it would be quite fun if I could get to 10,000!

What's even better is that at 10 a view it has earned me 30,000,000 and I've just ordered a new superyacht with helipcopter pad. Not that I care about money, you understand. Well, OK, if I'll come clean. I've put the superyacht order on hold. It turns out that if I take my earnings and divide them by the hours put in writing and recording the scripts and the research and videoing, I'm making about 50% of minimum hourly rate. Still it's not the money, it's the principle.

Actually, when anyone says it's not the money it's the principle - it's the moneyWink

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

pablophotographer 8 1.2k 351
26 Apr 2016 7:22PM
bravo for your efforts and work
SlowSong Plus
11 8.2k 30 England
26 Apr 2016 7:31PM
David, whenever I've wanted info on M43 or just a good read I've visited your website or YouTube pages and you've never disappointed. Thanks to your excellent review I bought the GH4 and I love it. Your blog is always interesting and intelligently written. You deserve the 3,000,000, but shame about the yacht. Smile
dark_lord Plus
15 2.3k 582 England
26 Apr 2016 8:18PM
Impressive.

I've heard Philip Green may have a yacht going cheap...
cuffit Plus
12 339 5 England
26 Apr 2016 8:21PM
I was intrigued and, armed with just 'M43' and 'David', it took me a few minutes to stumble across your YouTube site and it's up another 4000-ish since the 3M-mark. Congratulations. I did enjoy the Xmas lights video, but not perhaps for the reasons you had hoped (I know you will understand) and very much enjoyed your flamenco piece. Good to see some of your photos as well. Skills! Chris
Big Bri 18 16.5k United Kingdom
27 Apr 2016 7:49AM
Can you link us to your channel here ? I'm sure the T&Cs won't mind Smile
srh 15 54 1 United Kingdom
27 Apr 2016 9:49AM
Very impressive Lemmy. I certainly find you m4/3 video reviews a very useful resource and I very much like your straightforward, no nonsense presentation style Smile

Simon.
27 Apr 2016 10:30AM

Quote:Can you link us to your channel here ?
It is Here . If that's not allowable under the T&Cs I understand, obviously. ePHOTOzine use my reviews sometimes and help me out with equipment.

When I quit professional photography, I'd had enough and took all my cameras (film, of course) , Nikons, Mamiya, Hasselblad, Elinchroms, the lot down to Park Cameras in Burgess Hill and they flogged the lot for me. I didn't have a camera at all. Then maybe 3 or 4 years later along came the Nikon Coolpix, 1600x1200, 3x zoom and I liked the idea of just being able to snap away at no on-cost and no waiting for results. After that, I updated a bit, Canon Ixus, that sort of thing, then bought a Nikon something FF DSLR but found it too bulky and like the old days. So I bought a Pentax K something, with a set of pancake lenses and a long Pentax zoom. It was a beautiful camera. But then along came MFT and the GF1, which I first of all bought as a second body.

But then came the the GH2 Panasonic, a serious camera and I ditched everything else and went to Micro Four Thirds. It was nice to have both 'proper' and pocket cameras using the same lenses. Then, thinking how much I liked these cameras with their EVFs and extensive range of lenses, I thought I'd try video by making a review like the ones I'd seen on YouTube. And so it went on. I learned a lot from people here about digital cameras and other things too which all went into the pot. And so here I am, an old geezer writing about some of the most advanced imaging machinery every dreamed of

It's great getting all the feedback and all the interaction with other photographers but I have to say that neither Panasonic nor Olympus have helped me at all. Of all the people I contacted, the ones who were positive and helpful were Tracy Jennings and Joshua Waller here at ePz, who took time and thought and came up with an arrangement that worked for both of us. I guess it is that positive outlook that has made the magazine successful.

You hear so much about how technology is ruining young people's lives and trolling and so on that it is easy to forget that it brings a whole raft of benefits too. If you look at the Gallery in ePz - a global outlet for photographers' talents and work - and free. Go back just 30 years and such a possibility would seem like a ridiculous dream. Sorry to drone on, I must get back to working out where to put the Degas in the yacht's stateroom Wink
cats_123 Plus
15 4.9k 28 Northern Ireland
27 Apr 2016 11:07AM
More power to your elbow Smile

First time I have dipped in to your reviews and didn't realise what I was missing. Some of it (your 2015 review of micro 4/3) went a little over my head, but when I am thinking of replacing my ageing kit, I will certainly pay you a visit...but the camera will probably outlast me SmileSmileSmile
27 Apr 2016 12:02PM

Quote:but the camera will probably outlast me
The way these modern cameras are built I reckon they'll outlast most people. I rarely use the mechanical shutter on my cameras, so there are no moving parts being used at all. With the Panasonics, they give you a choice of shutter sounds you can use if no shutter sound at all spooks you (as it does me).

I suggested to Panasonic that they should include the per-clop sound of a Hasselbald and a selection of rear blind whop! whop! sounds from VN cameras but they didn't reply!
FredDee 6 78 United Kingdom
27 Apr 2016 2:06PM
Just a quick (and slightly off topic) 'thank you' David.
I purchased your eBook on the Panny GX8 menus, in which I discovered the function behind the 'Auto" setting of the Electronic shutter.
Whilst the 3 choices of On/Off/Auto come up in the Electronic shutter setting menu on my camera, I could find no mention of the 'Auto' selection in both the hard copy manual or the Advanced manual that came on a CD with the camera.
It took your eBook to enlighten me on its' use ! Thank you ! Smile

Fred
FredDee 6 78 United Kingdom
27 Apr 2016 2:15PM
....and back on topic...
thanks for all the Videos ! Smile
Your video channel had a lot of influence in me 'going m4/3' - first with a GH4, which I now use mainly for Video work - and then a GX8, as my 'walkabout' stills camera.

Thank you David !! Smile

Fred

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.