WEX Deal: Free Grip With Panasonic LUMIX G100 Purchase

350D - handgrip

DAVID LYDIATE 18 305
13 Jun 2006 4:31AM
I was somewhat concerned at a review on the 350D which was about the handgrip, which stated "It's just all wrong; too small; can't find a comfortable handling position -even after a week of use it simply feels wrong. I don't have big hands, and I've never had a camera that feels bad when held. I even borrowed a friend'd 350D battery grip and that didn't help." As I suffer with MS I have difficulty with my hands sometimes. Can anyone relate to my concerns.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

brian1208 17 11.8k 12 United Kingdom
13 Jun 2006 4:51AM
David, we all will have different reaction. For some it will be too small, others the finger recess will not be deep enough etc.

I have both the 300D and 350D (with battery packs on each) and they handle in totally different ways - but I can happily use either all day, even with rheumaticky hands.

It would be best if you can get hold of one (literally) and see how it fits you, none of us can really guide you in this
strawman 16 22.1k 16 United Kingdom
13 Jun 2006 4:53AM
David it is all about comfort and ergonomics. Some will say the 350 grip is too small, others will say it fits just fine. The only advice is to try and hold it yourself.

I tried one and it felt too small, but then I use a 300D so it would. A 20D by comparison feels good but then it may be a bit heavy for you. A D70 felt like it had too many sharp edges and the comand wheel was in the wrong place, but that again is because I am used to Canon.

I would pop down to the shop and try. If after 15min you do not feel comfortable then that is probably the answer. But you will find a lot of happy 350D owners in the site. A 2nd hand 300D could be the answer if weight and budget are a concern and you want to keep your Canon lenses.
Cowbags 15 436 England
13 Jun 2006 7:12AM
I have the 350D and I use it without a battery grip. Personally it was the small size of the 350D that attracted me to it in the first place. Having such small hands I find most digital slrs a bit on the bulky side. I agree with what they have said above - pop down to your local camera shop and try one out. Only you will know what feels right for you.
vinyl2godave 16 22 United Kingdom
13 Jun 2006 7:37AM
Hi there.
I have the battery grip attached to my 350 also, and to be honest, I love the feel of the camera with it on. Before I bought the grip I always felt the camera,(though brilliant) was just a little too compact and lacked that SLR feeling you used to get from, say my old Nikon F3.

From the pictures people take, to the equipment people use, most things in the end come down to personal preference, if it feels good and does the job well, then it's probably right for you and if you really don't need it, save your hard earned cash.
Morpyre Plus
15 1.6k 8 Wales
13 Jun 2006 7:52AM
i agree with all that has been said so instead of just writing it again i will instead say that since i bought my 350D i have had it with the batterygrip attached and i love how it feels - i appreciate for anyone with weaker hands that the extra weight could pose a problem but i think personally it isn't like carrying a dumbbell around for the shoot =)
for a visual thing i like the grip because it makes the camera look like the more expensive pro models like the 1D mkII so from a distance people think you are a wealthy pro photographer =)

go with what feels best to you - comfort is important - good luck with your choice

peter "morpyre" turner
martinproe 14 293 5 England
13 Jun 2006 8:52AM
I agree the battery grip makes all the difference. got mine for 69 pounds as well. superb, makes it feel far more professional.
DAVID LYDIATE 18 305
13 Jun 2006 12:35PM
69 Martin, you done well, where from?
Buying over the counter would cost me 129.99
Even all net prices are @ least 120
Also I obviously notice that this screws in at the bottom were the tripod would screw in, can you use the tripod with the grip, not that this is important.
13 Jun 2006 1:03PM
Parkcameras.co.uk , checked tonight and it's now 79.99, although on a google search for BG e3 grip it comes up with park cameras still at 69, so they might let it go at that if you quote the search. Yes you can still use atripod, and it gives you another set of controls for shooting portrait style.
13 Jun 2006 1:06PM
Fotosense have them at 89 on the web. Also through a google search.
Morpyre Plus
15 1.6k 8 Wales
13 Jun 2006 1:06PM
yes you can use a tripod when you have the battery grip attached.

i tend to forget the 350D is a small camera - i put the grip on soon as i was home from the camera shop and havn't taken it off since

peter "morpyre" turner
13 Jun 2006 2:01PM
Just thought I'd add - devoncamera.co.uk are doing them for 69.99 Smile

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.