90% Off inPixio Photo Studio 10 Ultimate Software Bundle

40 Year Old Photos

dark_lord Plus
16 2.7k 739 England
11 Jan 2021 5:00PM
If you think your photos are ignored, then you have to have some sympathy for this photographer, taking 40 years to get his photos recognised.
He was commissined by a gallery who rejected his photos because they were the reality and not a cosy comfort zone. A parochial attitude from the gallery at the time, not hard hitting, which in indsight would have been a leading the way given the depravation in the cominmg decade. A good social documentary to be looked back on now.

Full story here.
saltireblue Plus
10 11.4k 70 Norway
11 Jan 2021 7:43PM
Just shows, what was not of interest because it gave the 'wrong type' of image is now regarded as social history which is so sought after.
JackAllTog Plus
11 6.2k 58 United Kingdom
12 Jan 2021 8:25AM
Interesting also that not clearly confirming the brief from the original customer lost the first chance to show his work. I also like that he went back a second time to get a different closer up style.
mrswoolybill Plus
14 2.5k 2347 United Kingdom
12 Jan 2021 9:47AM
Thanks for the link, Keith, I've bookmarked this.

I have come across quite a few instances where reportage shots have been commissioned in the expectation that they would paint a rosy, positive picture - and the organisers have been taken aback by what they actually received. The truth can hurt.
SlowSong Plus
12 9.5k 30 England
12 Jan 2021 11:58AM
What interesting images. Right up my street. What a shame they were never used originally, but I'm happy they've now, at last, been recognised as important reportage shots of an era and location.
12 Jan 2021 6:55PM
Seeing these shots remind me of some of my day trips as a kid, Some places the only things that have changed is the clothes, maybe a bit of graffiti and litter added for good measure. As keen photographers most of us like to show stunning seascapes that make people think I want to go there but shots like these makes you think I've been there. Brings back the reality of our memories, like the shot of the oldies reminds me of my Nan, can we go yet ? Waiting for grandad to get out of the pub.
KenTaylor 16 3.1k 2 United Kingdom
13 Jan 2021 6:50PM
Shades of Martin Parr.
Typical attitude not just the Gallery but many photofraphy clubs
SlowSong Plus
12 9.5k 30 England
13 Jan 2021 7:05PM

Quote:Shades of Martin Parr.
Typical attitude not just the Gallery but many photofraphy clubs

Photo clubs always seem to look down on street and reportage. It's just too 'easy' compared with landscapes and travel. 😬😈💤

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.