Save & earn with MPB this Christmas; trade-in and buy pre-loved

400D Upgrade?

Crazee1ady 14 16
8 Feb 2009 9:45AM
Hi, I have a 400D which I really enjoy using, not sure if I DO need to upgrade but you know what it gets like....itchy fingers.......facial twitch.... I have still to decide what my "area" of photography is so can't say I need a specific lens to acheive "X" results.

Lenses I have are 18-55mm kit lens 70-300mm IS USM and a 100mm 2.8 macro.

The full sensor 5D, from reading the forums, likes newer higher spec lenses? 5D MK2 ditto and anyway well out of my budget........ Fully understand too that ultimately, it's not the kit that takes the photo.

Should I stick where I am until I get to grips with both the art and craft of photography or would I like my results better from a 50D or secondhand 5D or.........should I wait 2 years and buy the secondhand MK2 ;o) Bookmark me for 2 years time when you're all upgrading again lololol

any input debate welcome, lots of it is conjecture anyway as I need to save pennies first, but a target as to what to save up for helps..............

thanks Jan XX
strawman 18 22.2k 16 United Kingdom
8 Feb 2009 10:21AM
Jan

My advice is to look to lenses. The 100mm macro lens you have is very good, the others will not deliver much better performance on a 50D, so if you upgraded only the body you may well get a faster acting camera but image quality change not a lot.

And if you are uncertain where to go with photography then stick with what you have. I decided I wanted an all round system as like wildlife and landscapes plus a bit of sports.

If you know you will go full frame then Canon's 17-40L will be better than your kit lens today plus have a future as a super wide angle lens on a full frame camera. Or if you do more walk about photography and never want to go full frame the 17-85 IS is better than your kit lens.

Canon 50mm f1.8 is low cost, but it lets you play with low depth of field photography so add it to your bag for fun and creative options. On portraits on crop cameras it works well.

But seriously, stick with your existing kit and you will spot what it is that limits you or frustrates you. That is the time to upgrade. Otherwise you are spending money you may not have to.
martyn05 14 363 England
8 Feb 2009 10:38AM
Hi Jan,
My wife and I have 3 x 400D's, and these lenses:
1 x Sigma 10-20mm
2 x Canon 17-85mm IS
1 x Canon 18-55mm
1 x Canon 24-105mm L IS
1 x Canon 70-200mm L
1 x Canon 50mm Mk1
1 x Sigma 105mm Macro

We have thought long and hard about upgrading to 5D Mk2's but have decided to wait. We enjoy taking photos of anything and everything but are exploring the portrait side of things at the moment. We have set up a website along these lines but mainly take photos for family and friends. As a hobby the 400D's work well but if we turn our hobby into something more we will invest in full frame. I would use your money to invest in better quality glass. Moving up to the more expensive cameras should only be done if you really NEED to. Stick to where you are now and learn all that you can. We brought some books recommended by other users here and are slowly working our way through them when time allows as we both work full time. Best of luck with your decision.
boony 15 978 3 United Kingdom
8 Feb 2009 11:03AM
i would suggest you learn a bit more about photography in general before splashing out any more money. if you have no clear idea of what you want to do with your camera youre really just stabbing in the dark if you start to buy new gear. i would maybe upgrade the standard lens you have if you really do feel the need to buy anymore gear or even better add a flash gun and off cam cord. some other gear you dont mention having is a tripod or any filters. if you havent got these they would be sound investments. your folio looks quite diverse but i dont believe anyu new lenses would help really but havin said that a sigma 10-20 and a 50 mil 1.8 should really be in everybodies camera bag especially the 50 mil
afirth 13 5 United Kingdom
8 Feb 2009 1:11PM
Hi there,

I was having this same debate a few months ago and after reading some of the forums I've opted to upgrade my lenses and keep my 400D body. I have to say better lenses make a huge difference and i think it's been money better spent than upgrading the 400D.

I have just bought the 50mm 1.8 and it's a lot of fun as you can really do some interesting arty shots with it. I also bought the 10-22mm canon lens for my landscape shots. I think if you use your kit lenses often enough you quickly realise what they can't do and what you would like to do more of if that makes sense and that is what made me decide what I wanted to spend my cash on.

I am thinking eventually I will upgrade to a 40/50D but I've found endless ways too keep myself occupied with my 400D now I have the new lenses so I'm happy to wait!

Hope that's useful
Adele
Crazee1ady 14 16
8 Feb 2009 1:53PM
Hi thanks for all the responses. its confirmed what was lurking in the back of my mind and that was to wait..hence the question marks. I have recently invested in a flash... the speedlite 430 EXII so on a learning curve with that but not the ability to use it off camera yet, have a tripod.not the cheapest but also nothing fancy and a cable release. Part of my problem is not knowing if the sharpness and quality of my images are down to me or down to the lenses I am using ;o) I need to get out and practise more, taking different shots and see what I can do and what I want to do.....I think part of the issue is I like everything and want to be able to photograph every situation I find myself in. As a TA in school I take a lot of shots for the school especially assemblies and productions, hence I need the longer end of the telephoto and the need for high ISO/no flash. Personally I like landscapes but neither the time or funds to find myself anywhere terribly interesting Filters I have are just polarisers.

Doing a course to help me understand the mechanics better and finding it frustrating and fun at the same time....... at least now I do know what different lenses do and what all the other bits are for ;o) Just need to work out how to make them work for me....
User_Removed 19 7.3k 6 United Kingdom
16 Feb 2009 1:42PM
Speculation is that tomorrow (17th Feb) is official Canon announcement day with regard to new cameras/lenses (usual pre-PMA announcement) and rumour has it that a 500D is on the cards
16 Feb 2009 1:45PM
Let me guess 15mp in 450D body with a video mode. And that stupid direct print button one person in the world uses will be even bigger and impossible to use for anything else Smile
16 Feb 2009 1:47PM
Probably. Smile
Carabosse 18 41.8k 270 England
16 Feb 2009 1:54PM
From the official Canon Rumours site Smile :

Link
16 Feb 2009 1:58PM

Quote:From the official Canon Rumours site :

Grin Grin Grin
16 Feb 2009 2:00PM
Some interesting comments on new lenses on that page too. Smile
Overread 13 4.1k 19 England
16 Feb 2009 2:03PM
wait no midrange canon camera *like the proper upgrade to the 40D since the 50D is not its upgrade* and no upper level one? Just another beginners level one?
Correct me if I am wrong but surly canon need to release another midrange (at least) body to keep up with nikon. Their lower end market is oversaturated I feel (400D still hanging around, 450D and the ever rather pointless 1000D)
16 Feb 2009 2:22PM
The 1000D replaces the 400D. The 450D is in about the correct point, and well like it or not the 50D replaces the 40D, and at the moment both are for sale so a 3rd would be hell.

If I were Canon I would be making the 1000D update to a mirror less design with EVF, like a G1 in effect.
16 Feb 2009 2:25PM
We are of course in the middle of a recession/depression, so it is possible that wishlists are less likely to be fulfilled!

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.