Amazon Music Unlimited Offer: 3-Months For FREE!

400d Viewfinder

bara03 14 14
22 Apr 2007 5:31PM
When looking through the viewfinder of my 400d looking at a light background (i.e. white wall) I can see a black line which protruds from near the top left of the viewfinder screen in like a 'V' shape, something like this:
| / |
|/ |
|________________|

(Sorry for the crude picture)

I have taken a picture of the blank canvas but the line isn't visible on the picture. It doesn't look like a hair, is this common to 400d's or just mine?

Andy
duratorque 17 427 United Kingdom
22 Apr 2007 9:00PM
Its may be hair or dust on the focus screen. It will not appear on your picture. Attempt to clean it may cause more dust than before. I would just live with it.
Tutterzzz 14 160 United Kingdom
22 Apr 2007 9:23PM
i have a teeny black spec on my viewfinder, inside i think it is inbetween two focusing points on the left

i ignore it though, i dont notice it really unless im looking for it

my friend had a fibre i think it was inside his viewfider and he couldent get rid of it, i gave his camera a good shake for 5 minutes and it went
Superficial 14 147
23 Apr 2007 8:22PM
The viewfinder on my 300D was full of crap. After a while I never even noticed it, but anyone else who used my camera did. You can get it cleaned, but it's not particularly cheap. I would just leave it.
justin c 17 5.1k 36 England
23 Apr 2007 8:39PM
Cleaning a viewfinder will cost nothing (providing you already have the materials) and will take less than 10 seconds.
Just wrap a pec pad or any lens cleaning tissue around a small pointed object (I use the thin end of a teaspoon),put a single drop of cleaning fluid on ( eclipse works well) and give the viewfinder a good polish.
Will be as good as new.

Justin.
psiman 17 574 Wales
24 Apr 2007 9:29AM

Quote:Just wrap a pec pad or any lens cleaning tissue around a small pointed object (I use the thin end of a teaspoon),put a single drop of cleaning fluid on ( eclipse works well) and give the viewfinder a good polish.
Will be as good as new.

Just a note of caution here, I've read other threads where people have done this and appear to have damaged the Focus Point sensors.

Simon
24 Apr 2007 11:16AM
Definately agree with exercising caution anywhere near the focusing screen,however I was refering to just cleaning the actual viewfinder.

Justin.
psiman 17 574 Wales
24 Apr 2007 4:24PM

Quote:Definately agree with exercising caution anywhere near the focusing screen,however I was refering to just cleaning the actual viewfinder.

Doh, so you were, I should have read your reply more carefully! Sorry about that, though its still worth pointing it out in case any one decides to try to clean the focusing screen.

Simon
24 Apr 2007 4:46PM
No worries Simon Smile
bara03 14 14
24 Apr 2007 7:33PM
I asked my question to Canon, here is what they said:

Dear Customer,

Thank you for your recent enquiry regarding your Canon product.

In response to your recent enquiry with the Canon helpdesk, please be advised that from the incident description it appears to be a hardware problem with the camera which will require service.

Please find below the list with the authorized service centers and the packaging instructions:

Packaging advice for returning products:
- Take note of your serial number
- Pack it very carefully and make sure it is covered by insurance
- Please ensure you enclose the following:
o The bill of sale and/or warranty details in case the product is under warranty
o Details of the fault/instructions for repair
o Your name and complete address details for the return of your
bara03 14 14
27 Apr 2007 6:40PM
Just to update anyone who is interested, I rang the company who supplied me with my Canon 400D and they have replaced it with a brand new one after I told them that Canon said it was faulty, should be receiving my new Canon tomorrow.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.