Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Enter ePHOTOzine's Prize Draw, with fab gifts for everyone! Click Here

40D Battery Grip

Spuddie 7 3
16 Jul 2008 9:12PM
After a bit of advice please!

I've been offered a Canon BG-E2 Battery Grip which a work colleague has assured me will work on my 40D. I have had a look on websites (Jessops) who offer a BG-E2N. I was wondering if my work colleagues offer which he used on a 20D will work on my 40D.

Does anyone know? I don't want to appear to doubt his assertions as I don't know him that well!

Many thanks for any advice.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

cameracat 11 8.6k 61 Norfolk Island
16 Jul 2008 9:28PM
BG-E2 & BG-E2N, Both work with the 40D.....!

There are some extra bits on the BG-E2N version, That said, If your work mate is selling it at a bargain price, You will get all the basic advantages of the grip....!

Edit: Far as I know, The N version has some extra rubber seals, Other than that nothing to choose between them.....!
MarkyMarc 10 498 Canada
16 Jul 2008 9:32PM
The main difference between the BG-E2 and the BG-E2N is that the N has a rubber seal around the battery compartment. Both will work on your 40D.
EyeDeal 7 55 United Kingdom
17 Jul 2008 9:20AM
I bought one from Hahnel. Main reason was IR shutter release.
john64 Plus
11 824 England
18 Jul 2008 1:08PM
Why don't you ask your colleague to bring it into work so you can have a play? He should be happy with doing that if it's a potential sale.
CanonMan Plus
14 524 4 England
18 Jul 2008 4:47PM
I got the Hahnel one too. Built in IR shutter release and cheaper than the Canon one.
23 Jul 2008 8:01AM
Is there any problem with using different nominal batteries? I'm going to unite Canon BP-511 (1300 mAh) and Hahnel HL-511 (1500 mAh) in that battery grip.
ripleysalien 9 1.2k 11 United Kingdom
23 Jul 2008 12:25PM
I use the cannon and a hama batterys in my 5D and 40D both with grips so dont think it will be a problem.

GTM 7 133
4 Aug 2008 12:52PM
I was looking at the Hahnel one with shutter release.

Is it worth the investment? I was going to get just a wireless shutter release anyway but two products for one sounds ever better.

Or is it too good to be true and in reality a rubbish bit of kit?
23 Aug 2008 3:02PM
IR Shutter release of Hahnel's battery grip works on pretty wide angle, let's say 150 gr. It has feature of half-press for preparation and full press for shot. Works as good as Nikon IR shutter release worked with Nikon Coolpix 8800.
NexusImages 8 1.8k 4 United Kingdom
23 Aug 2008 6:25PM
I'm wondering why you need a battery grip. My battery for my 40D last about a week.
Unless you want it for the shutter release, in which case I'll wind my neck in.
steve_kershaw 10 2.3k 4 United Kingdom
23 Aug 2008 7:07PM

Quote:I'm wondering why you need a battery grip

i bought mine as a compensation for my lack of manhood, i really wanted a1dmk3 Smile
23 Aug 2008 7:11PM
nicked from another thread

Quote:Yes, but humour is subjective, and unfortunately most on here are not half as funny as they like to think they are. ; ) What is often intended as a funny remark, often completely lacks humour,
The weight of the grip helps to balance the camera if you mount a flash on the hot shoe, for example.

It is useful for the vertical, or portrait format and with a conveniently place extra shutter release button, amongst other features.

However, the Canon grips for their digital cameras seem rather expensive at 100+ compared to the battery grip for 300V film body at 30+.

The Hahnel does seem a more realistic price. Whether it is as durable, apart from its possible lesser features, as the Canon perhaps other members can advise me?

Quote:I bought mine as a compensation for my lack of manhood,

Steve - what are screwing the grip onto, for heaven's sake? Smile Smile Smile
24 Aug 2008 12:17AM
if you want a battery grip then you want this

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.