Save 15% On Excire Foto Software With Code: EXCIRE-EP

40D Battery Grip

Just Jas Plus
19 26.3k 1 England
24 Aug 2008 12:59AM
Oh no I don't! Smile
chris.maddock 20 3.7k United Kingdom
24 Aug 2008 7:01AM

Quote:I was looking at the Hahnel one with shutter release.
Is it worth the investment? I was going to get just a wireless shutter release anyway but two products for one sounds ever better.
Or is it too good to be true and in reality a rubbish bit of kit?

I got a grip off eBay with timer functions and IR release built in, like these , but for my 5D, considerably cheaper than the Canon grip alone and a lot cheaper than the Canon grip and timer remote control combined. The quality is close to that of the Canon one I have for my 10D. It's slightly more bulky because of the LCD panel behind the batteries, but still very comfortable to hold and use. I later bought one for my 30D as well, as I'd found it so comfortable to use.

As an experiment, I got a cheap radio wireless remote (also off eBay) and, after a bit of experimentation and an appointment with a soldering iron (and a shoehorn), managed to get the wireless remote fitted inside the 5D grip, powered off the grip batteries as I didn't have room for a seperate battery for the remote. I did have to lose the IR receiver in the grip but as I don't have an IR transmitter that was no loss.

Result - for around 100 and a few hour's work, I ended up with the equivalent of the Canon grip, timer remote and wireless remote (which together cost ~570, IIRC) all in one unit. I don't have to plug/unplug the remotes because they are permanently fitted to the camera - and my wireless remote isn't IR therefore doesn't need line of sight, unlike the Canon one Wink
Coleslaw 16 13.4k 28 Wales
24 Aug 2008 9:08AM
ei, I am not sure I understand what you said though, Chris, but this Hahnel one is only 90 with IR.
frenchie44 15 342 United Kingdom
24 Aug 2008 10:36AM
Hi i was looking at getting a grip for my 40D, the Ansman version loks good in the magazines, although i have not seen it in the flesh. it comes with a battery for under 90, it might be worth a look
kinfatric 17 550 9 Scotland
24 Aug 2008 11:24AM
I have the Hahnel, it works fine and with a mix of batteries i.e.the Hahnel and Canon.

Quote:I'm wondering why you need a battery grip
For achieving the higher frame rates in the spec I would say Amanda.
NexusImages 14 1.8k 4 United Kingdom
24 Aug 2008 2:38PM

Quote:II'for achieving the higher frame rates in the spec I would say Amanda.

Thanks for that Brian, It's never been an issue for me though as the fastest thing i tend to tog is waves. You learn summat new everyday.
Amanda
RFCat 17 19 Australia
5 Sep 2008 12:52PM
Basically I bought one for my 10D and naturally bought one for the 40D.
They are very good in aiding the balance of a big lens camera combo. I usually add mine to the camera if I going out for along session with the 70-200 f2.8 IS with and without a 1.4 TC.

Doesn't help much when the 500ex is attached unless a big lens is also attached. With a big flash and battery pack you really need a small frame to help with the balance.

Ian M

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.