Amazon Music Unlimited Offer: 1-Month For FREE!

40D too advanced for first DSLR?

Steve63 12 7 England
10 Jan 2009 10:18PM
After much research on this site I'd sort of whittled the choice for my first DSLR down to a Canon 450D, with the lense choice to scratch my head over. Then I strolled into my local Jessops to have a look at said 450. That's where it all went pears. The salesman(as he would) thrust the 40D in my hands and the decision making went astray. My question is this; is the 40D too advanced for my first DSLR and should I settle for the cheaper 450D with a bit of cash to spare for a second lense, and learn how to use it,or should I get the 40D with just the EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM
and learn with that??
strawman 17 22.2k 16 United Kingdom
10 Jan 2009 10:39PM
Steve I think the 40D is not too advanced for a first camera. It has controls that go from fully automatic to full on manual. So that bit is easy. The 40D has better handling I think, a faster frame rate that may or may not be of use, and a better AF system.

It should also have a more durable shutter/mirror mech, though with all things mechanical life will vary a lot, so on average a 40D should last longer, but some will fail quicker than some 450D's

The harder bit comes with budget and how much you spend on lenses. My feeling is that good lenses will stick with you and you will use them on the next body etc.

So is the 40D worth the extra, well I bought one so think so, but it is an individual by individual choice. I hope that helps.
Coleslaw 15 13.4k 28 Wales
10 Jan 2009 10:42PM
I agree with John.
msw109 12 10 United Kingdom
10 Jan 2009 10:45PM
hi steve, well depends how serious you are in my opinion. october 2007 i set off on a year long trip with my trusty panasonic DMC-FZ7, 3 months later and i was ready for my first DSLR. i upgraded to a Canon 350D with a 18-200 Tamron lens. i enjoyed many months and thousands of picutres learning daily how my 350D handled, including filter work. eventually i chopped it in for a 40D in the USA as they were relatively cheap and some better lenses.
if you are making the jump to DSLR then make sure you are gonna get your use out of it if you invest a lot of money, otherwise something like a 350D will be sufficient to get great shots as an initial step. remember you will need to learn how to use new gear wether its entry level or prosumer. its your decision how much you spend
BernieS 12 243 United Kingdom
10 Jan 2009 10:46PM
Buy the 40D body only - quickly, before the cash back offer expires. At current prices, with 60 back it's a steal. Then buy some decent glass to put on it. The 40D will be a good learning tool, but then also provide all that you need once you become more confident.

You don't say what kind of photography you are interested in, so difficult to suggest what kind of lens you need. However you could do far worse than the Canon 50mm 1.8. Having a prime lens will force you to think about composition more than if you use a telephoto lens - and that can only help you as you develop as a photographer. As a prime lens it also provides high IQ - so you won't be looking to change it in 12 months time - which you probably would if you get the "kit" 17 - 85.

Whatever you decide to go for, have fun and enjoy your photography!! Smile
Just Jas Plus
19 26.3k 1 England
10 Jan 2009 10:47PM
A third choice is to buy a second hand 30D, or even a 20D.

epz advertiser MBP Photographic have a few of the latter at the moment around the 200+ price.
jas
Just Jas Plus
19 26.3k 1 England
10 Jan 2009 11:05PM
mbp photographic here a choice of Canon 2nd hand DSLRs.

I got my 30D here.
jas
Steve63 12 7 England
10 Jan 2009 11:59PM

Quote:Steve I think the 40D is not too advanced for a first camera.
So is the 40D worth the extra, well I bought one so think so, but it is an individual by individual choice. I hope that helps.

Steve63 12 7 England
10 Jan 2009 11:59PM
strawman, thanks for the advice, I can see which way this is swinging.
MikefromEbbw 13 69 2 Wales
11 Jan 2009 12:01AM
Whilst the 40d is a superb camera and would certainly suit a beginner as well as an advanced user I wonder if a beginner would use it to its fullest potential.What I am trying to say is would it be worth saving some money for decent glass and getting the 450d rather than a prosumer model as a beginner would probably be using the same features on both cameras.I can certainly vouch for the 450d,I love mine and also agree with Bernie.If you are going to buy then buy now before the cashback offer is up.Its 50 on the 450d.
Steve63 12 7 England
11 Jan 2009 12:02AM
Bernie, buying the body only was not an option i had thougt about but given the short time scale before the cashback deals stop it makes good sense. As for what sort of photography; I'm interested in a variety of things but I am particularly keen on capturing some good mptorcycle sport shots and the 4od attracts me with its 6fps
MikefromEbbw 13 69 2 Wales
11 Jan 2009 12:06AM

Quote: As for what sort of photography; I'm interested in a variety of things but I am particularly keen on capturing some good mptorcycle sport shots and the 4od attracts me with its 6fps

That said then I would go for the 40d.The higher burst rate would be very handy in those situations.Good luck.
strawman 17 22.2k 16 United Kingdom
11 Jan 2009 12:12AM
If you have not heard of it, check out prices at camerapricebuster it helps you look for the best deals out there. The Jessops body only price looks good, and warehouse express have a good deal with the lens you mention.
rowarrior 13 4.4k 9 Scotland
11 Jan 2009 12:25AM
I started with it's predecessor, the 20D, and it's done me very well (it's still with me Wink ) The kit lens also did me well for a good year along with a Tamron 70-300. I think I'd have preferred the newer kit 17-85 over the old 18-55, as it was a little annoying missing the bit between the 55 and 70 and I was finding things I'd use in that range!

Having played with a 400D that a friend owns, trying to show her a few things, I find the adjustment of some settings rather less intuitive than on the 20/30/40D, in fact some of them seemed downright awkward to do quickly, but I suppose it depends on what you learn on, however if you can afford the 40D, I'd go for that over the 450 for the setting options alone!
Steve63 12 7 England
11 Jan 2009 1:10AM
Strawman; I have stumbled across camerapricebuster in my quest for the right kit, very useful. As you say; the WE price at 688 with the cashback offer is an attractive deal.

MSW; my intention is serious and I'm sure my better half will be making sure that the outlay is justified.

Rowarrior, Just Jas et al; all very useful feedback and advice. Thanks. The clock ticks and I'll be flexing the plastic before the cashback deadline

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.