Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

50mm f1.1 for under $400

Chris_L 3 4.0k United Kingdom
10 Aug 2017 12:37AM
Owners of mirrorless might be interested in the Leica mount 7 Artisans 50mm f1.1 which costs under $400. Easily adapted to Panasonic, Sony etc. Focus is manual so peaking comes in handy. Don't expect it to rival a seven grand Leica but it can produce some very usable images. Am tempted.

Exciting to see the Chinese continuing to come out with cheap but capable glass to rival the big boys.

Here's a video test

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

10 Aug 2017 7:50PM
I watched that video. Looks interesting. There are some obvious flaws with it wide open but still very use-able.

Can an equivalent Leica really be 15 times better? Probably not but i suspect the people who buy this won't really care.
ChrisV 10 1.8k 26 United Kingdom
11 Aug 2017 1:40PM
Seems quite bizarre it's a Leica mount as you might think the typical Leica buyer is the very last sort of mirrorless user likely to buy such a lens.

Personally I think there can be something of a bit of a fetish when it comes to absolute IQ. The aesthetic quality of a lens like this seems rather more important to me, particularly if you're going to use it for its intended use [ie NOT landscape!] and will not often be outputting or viewing at your camera's full capability in terms of resolution.

The weird quality of the bokeh [when did that become bocca?] wide open might be a bit more of an issue unless you're after something quite strange, but that happily soon disappears once closed down just a bit.

I've recently got hold of one of those Voigtlander 25 Nocticrons, which has some similar issues. But it does produce images with remarkable subject isolation and a quality that's difficult or impossible to achieve with any standard optic on M4/3.
11 Aug 2017 3:23PM
To me, it seems very sensible to put a Leica mount on such a lens because the LTM is a standard and adapters are readily available for other mounts such as M4/3
11 Aug 2017 11:56PM
I agree, if they'd done it as an MFT or an E-Mount etc it would have ruled it out from being used so easily on other mirrorless systems.

There will be a few Leica owners, who are cash-strapped after shelling out so much for their camera and first lens, who might welcome this too.

Paul Morgan 16 18.8k 6 England
12 Aug 2017 9:14AM

Quote:Exciting to see the Chinese continuing to come out with cheap but capable glass to rival the big boys

I would not call 400 cheap, only in comparison to Leica Smile
12 Aug 2017 10:05AM
With lenses, we do tend to get what we pay for.

Although so many Leica enthusiasts treat their lenses with kid gloves, they're actually some of the toughest lenses on the market, built to give many years of service in the not always gentle hands of Magnum photographers and still deliver great results.

Few users, even professionals, actually need the Leica standard of construction so there's a place for the cheapie Chinese lenses.
12 Aug 2017 3:10PM

Quote:I would not call 400 cheap

Yeah, compared to Leica and the big brands with such a wide aperture.

How about one of these Smile Smile Smile

13 Aug 2017 7:52AM

Quote:To me, it seems very sensible to put a Leica mount on such a lens because the LTM is a standard and adapters are readily available for other mounts such as M4/3

Have to confess, I hadn't thought of that - good point, well made. I suppose if they prove popular enough, they may start to appear native for other brands.
13 Aug 2017 9:16AM

Quote:

I generally don`t need super fast lenses, a lot of people spend sill money thinking they will get better dof control (as if it was the only way)

Something like this does it for me and cost very little Smile

https://petapixel.com/2015/11/16/creating-bokeh-madness-with-a-tilt-lens-adapter/

14 Aug 2017 10:44AM

Quote:
Quote:

I generally don`t need super fast lenses, a lot of people spend sill money thinking they will get better dof control (as if it was the only way)

Something like this does it for me and cost very little Smile

Bit of a one trick pony though, isn't it Paul? Besides which this sort of field isolation effect is something relatively easily done in software. It's genuine subject isolation most people are interested in [at non-macro distances] and for that there isn't really any effective alternative to that 'look'. Yes, you can do it to a degree with light control, but it's not the same. You don't have to spend an absolute fortune, but you do need to go fast, particularly with MFT.
14 Aug 2017 3:32PM

Quote:Bit of a one trick pony though, isn't it Paul? Besides which this sort of field isolation effect is something relatively easily done in software

I find that the ultra fast lenses are more of that (a one trick pony) people think ah yes subject isolation, got to have a really fast lens for that, they don`t consider the dof effects of the focal length of lens, subject distance, background distance, lighting etc, the gas gets that better of them, they become narrow minded and end up spending much more than they need.

As for doing it in software, well its just not the same.
14 Aug 2017 4:16PM
It isn't [and even more so for genuine DoF]. As for a shallow DoF being one trick, perhaps it is, but it's also one of the principal tools at a photographers command for composition. Add to that that fast lenses also tend to be sharp lenses [that benefit being felt sooner on smaller sensors] and it's win-win. Getting isolation using focal length is one thing, but it's also a severe limitation in many circumstances.
14 Aug 2017 4:59PM

Quote:Add to that that fast lenses also tend to be sharp lenses

Historically no, not wide open.

The main plus for me in using fast lenses was a brighter viewfinder, lots of the very fast primes were pretty soft wide open, the slower f1.8`s were usually better.
14 Aug 2017 5:55PM
With Leica, isn't the Summilux slightly sharper than the Summicron?

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.