Save 50% on inPixio Photo Studio Pro

50mm i.4 Canon or Sigma?

pink Plus
17 6.6k 8 United Kingdom
29 May 2011 9:45PM
SO, I would like a 50mm 1.4, do I go with the Canon or Sigma?
Carabosse 17 41.5k 270 England
29 May 2011 9:49PM
I doubt you'd be disappointed with either but if price is not a consideration I would normally go with the manufacturer's own lens.
pink Plus
17 6.6k 8 United Kingdom
29 May 2011 9:52PM
Yeh I thought that too, but after reading user reports the Sigma appears to come out better (plus it has a 77mm filter thread which matches all my other lenses)
29 May 2011 9:56PM
Well the Canon is quite an old design but rumour has it a Mark II version will be out soon - but it is likely to be pricier than the current version.
ianrobinson 11 1.2k 8 United Kingdom
29 May 2011 10:19PM
the sigma 50mm f1.4 is a much better quality lens and would buy when in the time is right.
I love the way the sigma feels and the background blur with pin sharp detail is slightly better than the canon, i tested both on one point in the shop and sigma came out on top for me on my 5d mark ii and my 7d.

Hope this helps, and by the way rumours are rumours and you could be waiting years for that rumour to come true, the same as i would wait years for a new canon 5d mark iii to come out, i brought the canon 5d mark ii instead of holding my breath.

Oh and lets face it there's a serious delay with canon lenses and cameras because of the disasters in japan so chances are youll be an old man before you see any great benefit by waiting.

Ian.
pink Plus
17 6.6k 8 United Kingdom
29 May 2011 11:02PM
Thanks Ian, I'm already knocking on the old mans door as it is! I was leaning towards the Sigma and I will probably take the jump. Thanks
GlennH 15 1.9k 1 France
30 May 2011 9:06AM
I own the Sigma 50mm f1.4, and it's capable of beautiful results, but I nevertheless had all sorts of problems trying to get it to focus on near subjects when wide open. There are legions of posts online that describe focusing issues with the 50mm f1.4, and how it back focuses, front focuses, etc, etc.

Personally I find if I close the lens down to around f2 the focusing corrects itself, which is also what DP Review found with their example I think. The point of this lens is largely its background blur, which is absolutely exceptional.

A camera with micro-adjustment such as the 7D or 5D MkII can help counteract the problem, if you envisage regularly using the lens wide open.

I also don't believe it to be necessarily a Sigma quality control problem. Researching 'focus shift' is enlightening, and the type of focusing screen you use also makes a difference.
User_Removed 17 3.3k 4 United Kingdom
30 May 2011 10:53AM
Don't get one! I've had one for two years (the Canon 1.4). I've used it maybe twice.
lakemist 12 5 United Kingdom
30 May 2011 11:15AM
The sigma is a better lens all round,better built and dosen't suffer from AF motor burn out! It is the only sigma i have on my 1DS3 among the L's.
thewilliam 12 6.1k
30 May 2011 11:28AM
If you want a really good 50mm f1.4, check out the Zeiss ZE which puts most other 50mm lenses in the shade. You'll need to focus manually.
30 May 2011 12:36PM
What do actually you want to use the lens for? If you are using it on a 1.6 crop cam, perhaps you are thinking in terms of portraits or similar?
pink Plus
17 6.6k 8 United Kingdom
30 May 2011 7:17PM
Its a desperate need to go back to my roots, my first camera had a 50mm f1.4 and I used to love it, got lazy with zooms since so I fancy a fast lens that can blow backgrounds out. I will be using it on full frame and crop cameras so hopefully it will get some use?
pink Plus
17 6.6k 8 United Kingdom
30 May 2011 7:18PM

Quote:

Quote:Don't get one! I've had one for two years (the Canon 1.4). I've used it maybe twice.

Chris, thinking of selling it?
Ian
30 May 2011 8:44PM

Quote:Chris, thinking of selling it?

A potential "win win" situation here! Wink
User_Removed 11 4.6k 1 Scotland
30 May 2011 9:06PM

Quote:Its a desperate need to go back to my roots, my first camera had a 50mm f1.4 and I used to love it, got lazy with zooms since so I fancy a fast lens that can blow backgrounds out. I will be using it on full frame and crop cameras so hopefully it will get some use?

I can identify with that.

On my D300 (crop sensor), I used a Sigma 30mm f/1.4 which was a fantastic lens in every respect (although considerably more expensive than the Nikon own brand)

On my D3s (full frame) I use both a Nikon 50mm f/1.8 D (AF) and a Nikon 50mm AIS f/1.4 (non-AF).

Basically, you want a 30mm lens for crop sensor and a 50mm lens for full frame. In either case, a prime lens of that focal length, whether by the camera manufacturer or a reputable third-party like Sigma, is going to give mind-blowing sharpness if used intelligently.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.