5d battery

mohikan22 16 2.3k 2 United Kingdom
29 Jan 2016 11:11AM
Hi all. I have a 5d replacement battery bp 511. According to the charger it is fully charged. Placed on a voltage meter it registers 7.4v which is label correct. However....when I place it in the camera it shows 1 bar then after a short while of being in the camera but turned off, it's apparently dead. Place itno the charger again. Within 2 to 3 minutes max its fully charged? ? Could the camera be faulty? Or the battery/ charger.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Big Bri 18 16.5k United Kingdom
29 Jan 2016 12:18PM
I would guess it's the battery. Is it a genuine Canon one? I had a cheapo one from 7dayshop and the same thing happened.
29 Jan 2016 12:33PM
No not genuine. However I ordered 2 3rd party from amazon.. same thing....can a camera when off still drain a battery?
alansnap 16 577 26 United Kingdom
29 Jan 2016 1:05PM
It's highly unlikely that the camera will drain the battery when it's off. This sounds a bit like a memory effect - not supposed to happen with modern batteries I know, but your experience seems to suggest it. I'd start again but buy a Canon battery. I have used both Canon and independents, and the Canon batteries outlast the others. I know they're expensive, but the cost of modern photography is relatively low. What you'd pay for a new battery is only about the equivalent to buying a processing a few films.
Alan
georgehopkins 11 112 England
29 Jan 2016 1:06PM
I,ve experienced this before when I bought a very cheap "too good to be true" battery it took about 30 charges then started to get less shots per charge. Now I have a couple of Duracell ones which are still going strong after 2 years regular use.
PRC 5 230 United Kingdom
29 Jan 2016 2:40PM
I have a similar problem with a Maxsimafoto battery (for a Pentax). After six months (about 20 cycles) it apparently charges in a few minutes but dies after a couple of exposures. I had a Hahnel that lasted a couple of years before doing the same thing. The original Pentax battery is much better, despite being 4 or 5 years old and used as my usual battery. I'd love to know who makes the batteries for Pentax and the other camera manufacturers ...

Philip
adrian_w Plus
12 3.8k 4 England
29 Jan 2016 3:05PM

Quote:I would guess it's the battery. Is it a genuine Canon one? I had a cheapo one from 7dayshop and the same thing happened.

And yet I got a 5D battery from them & have never had a problem with it. I have heard that some Amazon supplied batteries have this problem
29 Jan 2016 5:55PM
2 are from amazon yes. 1 faulted so they sent me a replacement. That also fails. Same sort of thing. No charge holding. Both under a year old.
Ah well. I'll see about a new battery then. Thanks for the input people.
justin c 16 5.1k 36 England
29 Jan 2016 5:58PM
I must have approximately 30 cheap, third party batteries, about 6 of them for a Panasonic camera, the rest for Canon DSLR's and I've never really noticed any problems or any loss of performance compared to originals. In fact, there was one occasion, where I had an issue with a 7day shop battery. I can't recall exactly what the issue was, it may be similar to the problem mentioned above. 7dayshop.com changed it for another one without issue. I guess like most things these days, you can get unlucky occasionally with a dud battery now and then.
Not a solution to the problem but in case it's of any use. When the charger indicates a fully charged battery, it isn't 100% fully charged and is best left for a good hour longer. This used to apply to batteries for the Canon 20D era of camera's, I presume it could still be rellevent.
Never let them get too hot, i.e. left exposed in a hot car and never store them when completely depleted.
justin c 16 5.1k 36 England
29 Jan 2016 6:28PM
Regarding your question about batteries draining when the camera has been switched off. I've found they certainly do self discharge but over quite a long period.
A very rough estimate would be perhaps 15% percent discharge over a few months.
29 Jan 2016 11:20PM

Quote:Regarding your question about batteries draining when the camera has been switched off. I've found they certainly do self discharge but over quite a long period.
A very rough estimate would be perhaps 15% percent discharge over a few months.

Somewhat agree with that...certainly not the drastic conditions you're experiencing...I'd agree with...biting the bullet....and getting on OEM battery to compare...

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.