Amazon Kindle Unlimited Offer: 1-Month For FREE!

5D II announced (now there's a surprise)

Coleslaw 16 13.4k 28 Wales
22 Dec 2008 11:47AM
handbags, out!

:-p
Carabosse 18 41.7k 270 England
22 Dec 2008 11:51AM

Quote:If you bother to read what I said rather than what you want to see, I said it was inexperience by necessity (i.e. having the camera for just a day or so must mean you do not have enough experience of it

Why should it need more than a day to do the relevant tests of ISO performance?

If you bothered to read the review properly, you will see in what context Matt made his comment. The implication is that the 5D II is the new King of High ISO (or Queen if you prefer Grin).

Other reviewers may disagree. We shall see, in due course. But it certainly looks promising.

Quote:Handbags, out!

You were not wrong, Cole! Grin
Coleslaw 16 13.4k 28 Wales
22 Dec 2008 12:39PM
Is that all?
What a disappointment.... Smile
hobbs 17 1.3k Japan
22 Dec 2008 12:47PM
Doesn't really matter if it is the king of high iso while it's got vertical banding, purple fringing and black dots.
mdpontin 17 6.0k Scotland
22 Dec 2008 12:57PM

Quote:...it's got vertical banding, purple fringing and black dots.

And that's before indulging in too much 'festive cheer'! Wink
22 Dec 2008 12:58PM
From what I've read elsewhere vertical banding can only be detected in sRAW (rather than full size RAW). Some Nikons are well-known for this too.

Purple fringing: normally a lens issue, but may be more obvious because of a high res sensor.

Black dots: Canon are testing a firmware update.

Any more sandals? Wink
hobbs 17 1.3k Japan
22 Dec 2008 1:13PM
The images that have shown purple fringing have been done with lenses that have not previously been subject to this.

The 5D MkII might be better at high ISO, the one thing I would point out though when I compared the test shots they didn't appear to be taken under the same lighting conditions. The 5DMkII does look better but it also looks softer, I wouldn't mind seeing shots taken under the same lighting conditions.
22 Dec 2008 1:28PM

Quote:The images that have shown purple fringing have been done with lenses that have not previously been subject to this.

Which lenses are we talking about here?

If, for example, they do not exhibit purple fringing when used on a 1Ds Mk III, then obviously that is a matter for concern (and quite surprising perhaps).
Nickscape 15 708 9 England
22 Dec 2008 1:28PM

Quote:Time will tell how it compares against the new D3x as the D3 is over a year old now

Canon seem to be a year behind Wink
22 Dec 2008 1:30PM
It is doubtful the D3X will be able to match the D3 on high ISO, given the (reworked) Sony sensor in it. So maybe sandal-wearers should not pin too many hopes on that. Wink
Nickscape 15 708 9 England
22 Dec 2008 1:36PM

Quote:It is doubtful the D3X will be able to match the D3

Why would any camera manufacturer go backwards on performance? im sure time will prove you seriously incorrect
22 Dec 2008 1:39PM

Quote:Why would any camera manufacturer go backwards on performance?

Why would you regard a single parameter of performance as "backwards". The much higher resolution may be of value to many who do not require high ISO performance. The D3X is being marketed as a studio camera by Nikon.
Little Jo 19 2.3k United Kingdom
22 Dec 2008 1:53PM
I think you'll find if you read around the different reviews appearing on the web (try Luminous Landscape for some interesting stuff), when the Sony, Canon and Nikon models are compared, they each have their strengths, but one reviewer said the 5D MkII was reasonably good in all departments.

Of course there are Canon fans and Nikon fans out there who will baulk at any suggestion that their chosen manufacturer is in No2 spot, but if you don't pixel peep, you will find that any of the bodies tested will serve you very well as few photographers will print bigger than A3.

Those caught up in the 1DMk3 problems are quite right to be grumpy - this was a flawed camera released into a very demanding user group. If your camera is your means of making a living, there can be no compromise. When I first met Barrie, he was a Nikon user, so it's of no great surprise that he's gone back there.

No handbags - he's just a top level pro with high standards.

Jo

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.