PortraitPro 21 - 50% OFF + an EXTRA 20% OFF! Use Code: EPZJS

5D mk 2 firmware update coming

park my ferret 17 1.0k United Kingdom
27 May 2009 9:10AM
Hey - everyone with a 5D mk 2 check out the news!! Canon announced today it will release a firmware update for the EOS 5D Mark II allowing users to manually control exposure when shooting video. The new firmware will be available for download from 2 June 2009 on Canon Europe’s support web site.
Following the launch of the EOS 5D Mark II in September 2008, Canon’s Research and Development team has listened closely to customer feedback to develop additions to the camera’s movie recording functionality.

Allowing EOS 5D Mark II owners to achieve even more stunning video results with the camera, the firmware update will include the following manual controls when shooting video:

* Full aperture selection
* ISO speed: Auto, 100 – 6400 and H1
* Shutter speed: 1/30th – 1/4000th second

The EOS 5D Mark II integrates full HD movie capability into a high-end 21.1 Megapixel camera; opening a multitude of new possibilities for photojournalists and news photographers. Since its launch the camera has proved its appeal to professionals working in diverse fields, from studio and wedding to nature and travel. Now, following customer feedback, Canon has improved functionality for professional video users, further unleashing the potential of the EOS 5D Mark II for cinematographers and photographers alike.
Coleslaw 15 13.4k 28 Wales
27 May 2009 9:36AM
Oh wow!
Can't wait....even though I haven't really tried the video function yet... LOL
Carabosse 17 41.5k 270 England
27 May 2009 9:52AM

Quote:Canon’s Research and Development team has listened closely to customer feedback

They should have done some market research in the first place! Grin This is the (very good) news that many video enthusiasts have been waiting for.

As simple as a firmware update eh? Why launch a camera which can produce video, which is up there in quality with many megabucks "proper" pro camcorders, and cripple its exposure function? Bizarre........
Overread 12 4.1k 19 England
27 May 2009 9:56AM
Because I think they were testing the water - and after the recent Pentax camera Canon decided that they wanted to keep the video DSLR dominance in the market - ergo releasing this update. ITs not unheard of for canon to release hobbled cameras based on firmwire alone (mostly at the advice of marketing departments Wink).

I wonder if the 500D will get similar treatment (I suspect not) or if this manual control will be present in the future XXD camera release. It would be a crying shame if they kept the manual controls to fullframe only - and also a future 1D range 1.3crop (just way out of so many peoples reach financially)
27 May 2009 10:15AM

Quote:mostly at the advice of marketing departments

Oh I'm sure it was. But launching a camera capable of excellent video and giving less exposure control than Canon's own cheapest "proper" camcorders was, some might say, lacking in the common sense department. Lol! Wink

Quote:It would be a crying shame if they kept the manual controls to fullframe only - and also a future 1D range 1.3crop

I can't see how they can get away with crippled video modes in any future DSLRs now. Whether the 500D will get the firmware update remains to be seen but there may be some annoyed owners out there if it doesn't.
jondf 14 2.8k
27 May 2009 10:30AM

Quote:[Update will allow] users to manually control exposure when shooting video.

Sounds like a worthwhile tweak. Anyone got any links to 5d MkII video clips worth looking at?
Tandberg 17 1.2k 2 England
27 May 2009 10:30AM

Quote:even though I haven't really tried the video function yet

Yeah yeah whatever trevor Wink

Nor me he says
Dave
27 May 2009 10:37AM
Who is Trevor!
I really haven't though, as I haven't bothered with the long transfer and processing time of HD video. Or am I wrong?
27 May 2009 10:40AM

Quote:Who is Trevor!

Man cole you live a sheltered life never heard that saying it means liar and that was meant in a fun way

Dave
27 May 2009 10:41AM
Ps no your not wrong,,,Well its faster with my pc being newer and better specked than my old one anyway
Dave
27 May 2009 10:50AM
Naa.... as I am a very honest boy... Tongue
park my ferret 17 1.0k United Kingdom
27 May 2009 12:56PM
it's great an all ... but what about the 30 fps issue ... personally I'd have sacrificed the apperture control and the iso control for the ability to select 24 / 25 fps

.... I've found it pretty easy to work around the f stop issues but the footage looks so jerky when you convert from 30p to 25p for dvd useage!!
27 May 2009 12:58PM
You didn't mention anything about that in your first post?
27 May 2009 1:19PM
Ah...sorry, misunderstood what you meant.
27 May 2009 1:29PM

Quote:Anyone got any links to 5d MkII video clips worth looking at?

My own are not worth looking at! But there are plenty on the web.

The trouble is you really need the original file to see the full quality.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.