Save 50% on inPixio Photo Studio Pro

5D mk 2 firmware update coming

park my ferret 17 1.0k United Kingdom
27 May 2009 2:12PM

Quote:You didn't mention anything about that in your first post?

yeah sorry - the first post was just cut and pasted from another forum
Carabosse 17 41.5k 270 England
28 May 2009 1:27AM
A bit more about the firmware update:

Quote:Ken Rowe (Canon Tech): "You'll be able to independently set the ISO, aperture, and shutter speed. And this will be full manual mode so you'll have to set each individually. There will be no Aperture Priority or Shutter Priority shooting modes for video (with this update)."

Rowe said he did not have information on whether the firmware update would allow photographers to change those settings "on the fly" or whether they would be locked in once you begin shooting HD video.

He also had no information on whether a 24p (24fps) shooting mode would come to the 5D Mark II in future updates. (24p video mode, which mimics the look of film, has been a highly requested feature among 5D II users.)

Rowe added that the update would allow photographers to shoot video in the full ISO range, including the High ISO (H1) setting of ISO 12,800 when ISO expansion is turned on in the 5D II's custom function menu.

Personally I would have liked to see the 12 minute clip limitation removed but I suspect that is beyond a firmware update.
29 May 2009 2:03AM

Quote: Anyone got any links to 5d MkII video clips worth looking at?

Take a look here . Taken with the 5D II and a 500mm lens.

Warning: this video has a high cuteness factor!

Grin
29 May 2009 10:19AM
Heres one to the pop video I did ...
here
Coleslaw 15 13.4k 28 Wales
2 Jun 2009 8:36AM
2 Jun 2009 10:46AM
yeh ... so who's first to take the plunge???
2 Jun 2009 10:48AM
I have downloaded it. I will install it when I get home.
2 Jun 2009 4:00PM
Just thinking:
How does shutter speed work in video?
I know in still, if I set the shutter speed to let's say 1 sec, and if the subject is moving, then it would be recorded blur.
How does that work in video?
User_Removed 11 1.4k England
2 Jun 2009 4:08PM

Quote:Just thinking:
How does shutter speed work in video?
I know in still, if I set the shutter speed to let's say 1 sec, and if the subject is moving, then it would be recorded blur.
How does that work in video?

In video it has the same effect. A slower shutter speed will record blur.
It works by allowing the CMOS to charge for that set amount of time for every frame in the video...Rather than physically moving a mechanical shutter. So if your camera has it's shutter set to 1/120, each frame of the video will be exposed for 1/120 second. - so you have captured 30 frames at 1/120 during a second.

- I won't get into the technical problems that the downsampling has.

"WTFBBQ - Why can't I take stills at 30fps burst?!"

It can achieve these frame rates because HD video is only 1920x1080 ~ 2MP.
The 5DmkII can do stills at 3.9fps @ 21.2MP. The 21.2MP sensor is downsampled to HD; and so it can easily achieve the 30fps @ 2MP.

Quote:Personally I would have liked to see the 12 minute clip limitation removed but I suspect that is beyond a firmware update.

It is beyond a FW update. The FAT32 (Your CF card uses this) file system has a max single filesize of 4GB. Which means around 12 minutes of HD 1920x1080 depending on the complexity of the scenes.

Oh, and please remember that Vimeo is not 'HD'... The video needs to be displayed at 1920x1080 for it to be 1080p HD. (or 1280720 for 720p) - if its anything less, your just watching an increased bitrate video. Huzzar for confused marketplace.
steve_kershaw 15 2.3k 4 United Kingdom
2 Jun 2009 5:07PM
just done the update and no smoke came out of it

suppose i should give the video a go now Smile
2 Jun 2009 9:03PM
^^ me too... Smile
Hugeknot 16 1.2k 2 Iceland
2 Jun 2009 10:38PM
Many thanks, just what I needed although I got round the problem with a fully manual aperture lens Wink
2 Jun 2009 11:13PM

Quote:It is beyond a FW update. The FAT32 (Your CF card uses this) file system has a max single filesize of 4GB. Which means around 12 minutes of HD 1920x1080 depending on the complexity of the scenes.

Yes but consecutive files of 4GB could be created seamlessly.

Quote:Oh, and please remember that Vimeo is not 'HD'... The video needs to be displayed at 1920x1080 for it to be 1080p HD. (or 1280720 for 720p)

It is if you display it full screen. Wink

Quote:Just done the update and no smoke came out of it

Just about to do mine - I was waiting for others to go first! Lol! Grin
User_Removed 11 1.4k England
2 Jun 2009 11:35PM

Quote:Yes but consecutive files of 4GB could be created seamlessly.

That would require additional instruction sets that the camera lacks. Its file system is very simplistic at best. - If you explore a canon FW you will see that these kind of integrations become very difficult. - and not something canon would prioritise because the storage medium being used generally isn't bigger than 4GB.

Quote:It is if you display it full screen.

Not true. It doesn't display at native resolution at all. turning scaling off just gives you the "automagical" stored version of the 720p video, which is a joke its still not the source bitrate.
3 Jun 2009 12:03AM

Quote: It doesn't display at native resolution at all. turning scaling off just gives you the "automagical" stored version of the 720p video, which is a joke its still not the source bitrate

If you want the source file you just download it.

Anyway, I find YouTube's HD rather better than Vimeo - larger viewing window too. But you can't download the source file.

Quote:and not something canon would prioritise because the storage medium being used generally isn't bigger than 4GB

I'm sure Canon could manage it. Wink I use a 16Gb card.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.