ADVERTISEMENT
Save & earn with MPB; trade-in and buy pre-loved

5D Mk2

dwarf 14 52 United Kingdom
1 Feb 2009 9:45AM
I'm thinking of buying , anyone using it like to share their thoughts?
dorothy
Tandberg 19 1.2k 2 England
1 Feb 2009 10:42AM
Just buy it and stop thinking about it..

I had the origional 5D and feal a good choice was made for me to upgrade.
More pixels,
Brighter screen is lovely compared to the 5D and the HD video is to me remarkable.
Ok some says the allowed recording time is limited and yeah it is but thats what cf cards are for filling them up.

Landscapes and the other stuff this camera is good at. I couldnt wait to give it a good test in the lakes which i did.
And i'm impressed.

I aint the best togg alive that i admit, But those that are better than i wouldnt say no to this in their arsenal i'm sure

Dave
strawman 18 22.2k 16 United Kingdom
1 Feb 2009 11:12AM
Dorothy, I think if you have to ask the answer is no you do not need it.

So my questions.
1 Do you print greater than 12"x18"?
2 Do have the cash ready in front of you and have no other use for it?
3 Do you have good quality full frame L series lenses?

If you answer yes, then get it, otherwise I would advise you sit down and write down what it is about your current kit gives you problems and then put down what the 5D MKII gives. I post this not to knock the 5D MKII but to give you a few thoughts before you do. It may make you feel even more certain you want it Smile

The 5D MKII is a very good camera, and better than the 40D I note you (and I) use, but the question is how many of us needs what it offers.
User_Removed 18 17.9k 8 Norway
1 Feb 2009 11:24AM

Quote:Dorothy, I think if you have to ask the answer is no you do not need it.

I have to agree. It's NOT the camera that takes good images - it's the camera operator.

Wink
User_Removed 20 7.3k 6 United Kingdom
1 Feb 2009 11:26AM
Bit harsh guys. Dorothy's not asking you whether she needs it or not and it's not for us to make any such judgement Smile
LenShepherd 14 4.6k United Kingdom
1 Feb 2009 12:08PM
If you are thinking it my be wise to make a quick decision.
Because of the currency situation Canon's prices will rise to retailers by around 10% from Feb 1st. Shop prices will increase when current stock is sold.
JGJ 16 74 United Kingdom
1 Feb 2009 1:17PM
I upgraded from a 30D. I did so because the viewfinder on the later cameras is much brighter than the 30D and my eyesight is not what it was. I have stuck with Canon kit over the years but that does not mean I see it as better or worse than Nikon or any other make.

First impressions:

The camera is heavy with L lenses attached. Unfortunately I have no experience of other similar cameras although a bit of research on the specs. will tell you how it compares.

The files tend to be larger than I'm used to. Particularly shooting RAW

Earlier Adobe RAW converters can not cope with the files. You must have CS4 or the latest Elements program to edit the files. I understand that the software bundled with the camera is excellent but I havn't used it so far. (There are workarounds if you have earlier Photoshop programs.)

Although I do not shoot sports the camera is limited in terms of burst rate when compared to others.

The results from landscape and portrait shooting are fantastic.

I have no use for movie shooting or live view but if you need these facilities they seem very simple to use.

I have no issues at all with nine AF points. They are more than adequate IMHO.

All in all I am very satisfied with the Mk2.
jken 16 1.7k 1 United Kingdom
1 Feb 2009 2:03PM
Dorothy I'd buy it without a thought.....

From what i've seen it looks superb.

jk
Carabosse Plus
19 42.8k 270 England
1 Feb 2009 2:11PM

Quote:Because of the currency situation Canon's prices will rise to retailers by around 10% from Feb 1st. Shop prices will increase when current stock is sold.

This is a bit of an issue for those of us who have been waiting for the price to drop. Should we make the jump now or wait until later in the year (if we are not in a hurry) when - under normal circumstrances - prices could be expected to drop.,

But these are not normal circumstances....and it is now 1st Feb! Sad
1 Feb 2009 2:16PM
It all depends CB, if you have the money and will not miss it go for it, if not then wait. It is only a camera and it is not like your existing one has turned to junk because the new one is out.

It is a case of you want the new one more than need it as for users like you and I it is a hobby Smile
Carabosse Plus
19 42.8k 270 England
1 Feb 2009 2:23PM
I guess it is more 'want' than 'need' - although the latter is slightly stronger as regards the stock work, I guess (no more interpolation, phew! Smile)

I don't mind waiting - but I equally don't want to wait a few months only to pay an even higher price!
Little Jo Plus
21 2.3k United Kingdom
1 Feb 2009 2:25PM
Dorothy - the 5D MKII is a brilliant camera. You'll need to watch dealer's stock levels though and the price you will be charged - the list price has today gone up to 2690.

Lens prices have taken a hike too. The Warehouse Express site makes for scary reading. Some of the increases are massive.

Jo
Carabosse Plus
19 42.8k 270 England
1 Feb 2009 2:27PM
So your view would be make the jump NOW, would it Jo?

Provided we can get the last of the stock at pre-increase prices?

(Look for a bit a of a push here! Lol! Grin)
1 Feb 2009 2:29PM
You can take a reasoned guess that the prices will be up for at least the next six months. Next year who can project currencies etc??? but I hope the pound recovers a bit more by then or we will be in more gloom.
Carabosse Plus
19 42.8k 270 England
1 Feb 2009 2:34PM
But guessing whether there may be yet another price hike in, say, 6 months time is the issue.

We would normally expect to see prices down by then. But it is not 'situation normal' at all.

I already have a buyer for my Mk I (at a nice price Wink) - he's prepared to wait a fair while, but won't wait for ever of course.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.