Save 60% On inPixio Eclipse HDR Pro

5D Mk2 batteries - where?

Little Jo 19 2.3k United Kingdom
14 Jan 2009 8:27PM
I managed to get one from Speed Graphic, but now they are not just out of stock at Speed Graphic, but at Canon UK. Supplies are limited not just here, but in the US also, if Ben Willmore's blog is anything to go by.

Not sure why.........they do last longer than the old BP511A and are 'intelligent' batteries. As for price, Speed Graphic have them at just under £54 on their website. I have a second spare battery on back order. You may get lucky of you're at the SWPP event in London, who knows. I'd try some of the smaller dealers. They are the ones with stock of the cameras. Cost per battery should only be slightly more than the old BP511A. If you pay over £60, you're being ripped off!

One thing to be aware of - if you use the grip, the camera uses both batteries in tandem and will take extra shots with a fresh battery until the other battery and it have reached the same %. If you are taking lots of shots (you should get at least 600 shots per battery), you would be advised to have a third battery in hand as both batteries in the grip will run down together. With the old 5D, it used one battery, then automatically switched to the other one.

The nice thing is that you register the batteries with the camera and label with the serial no. You can check how much charge you have left on up to six batteries (provided you haven't used them in another MkII body) and it will tell you how many shots have been taken with each.

Jo
steve_kershaw 15 2.3k 4 United Kingdom
23 Feb 2009 1:55PM
I have just got 2new no make batteries and a charger off ebay for 20.00, you loose the battery info in the camera, but as a backup they are functional, and in all probability will stay in the bottom of the bag
LeighRebecca 13 267 10 England
23 Feb 2009 10:05PM
Just looked myself, thanks Steve. Did the charger come with a US plug, and if so, was it easy to adapt it?
23 Feb 2009 10:08PM
yea it came with a US plug, I already had a multi adapter that fitted, but I'm sure you can pick one up for a few pounds
23 Feb 2009 10:38PM
Thanks. Like you, my spare battery will probably mostly be in the bottom of the bag, so I'm not interested in spending too much.

Edit, just ordered one with UK adaptor and car charger, so it says, for just £13.22 delivered. Got to be worth a go.
andytvcams 18 10.4k 1 United Kingdom
23 Feb 2009 11:43PM

Quote:I have just got 2new no make batteries and a charger off ebay for 20.00, you loose the battery info in the camera, but as a backup they are functional, and in all probability will stay in the bottom of the bag

What will you when it has fried the camera. Sad
Coleslaw 15 13.4k 28 Wales
24 Feb 2009 8:39AM
I would rather wait a bit for the originals.
27 Feb 2009 10:16PM
Do you really think there's a chance a battery could damage the camera?
lobsterboy Plus
17 14.9k 13 United Kingdom
27 Feb 2009 10:22PM
Well it could catch light whilst charging and burn your house down - which might wreck the camera a bit Wink
27 Feb 2009 10:30PM
Mmm...
27 Feb 2009 10:37PM
and i thought the conspiracy theory thread was closed Wink

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.