Save & earn with MPB; trade-in and buy pre-loved

5d or 40d

alansnap 18 577 26 United Kingdom
23 Nov 2011 4:45PM
The 5D Mk 2 is jaw droopingly good. I upgraded from a Mk1 which was good, and maybe a Mk3 is coming, but you can always wait for the next version - that way you grow old and die without a camera. Go for it.
Alan
Munch_66 12 19 United Kingdom
15 Dec 2011 6:53PM
I made the jump from a 40D to the full frame 5D and have never looked back. The 40D was a very nice camera with some great technology, hardy as hell and light. The 5D gathers light beautifully, the large pixels on the sensor do a wonderful job and the colours and contrast really get your attention. Obviously, the 40D leads with FPS but not really an issue for my type of photography but worth considering if you are shooting sport/wildlife etc.

The 40D has dust reduction and the 5D is a dust magnet. You may want to consider this if you are not cleaning the sensors yourself. This can be expensive.

I sold my 5D to help fund the Mk2 version which is the first camera that I bought new. I wish I had kept the Mk1 as a second body to be honest as I liked it that much.

Go for the 5D in my opinion, especially if you shoot landscape/wedding/portrait.

Good luck and enjoy Smile
colo43 10 3 United States
24 Dec 2011 3:30PM
My first Canon was the 40D. Its a great camera and i have nothing but good things to say about.
I recently bought the 5D Mark 11 and still learning much about it.
In case your wondering, I've given my 40 D to my son and hes thrilled with the Camera. If you can't afford the 5D, i would recommend the 40D, you will not be sorry !
OldTom1 10 69
6 Jan 2012 9:03PM
May I suggest the 7D?
I use the 7D and have a 30D and 400D as back-up. I would buy a second 7D.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.