Amazon Music Unlimited Offer: 3-Months For FREE!

5D v's D700 (AP Article)

culturedcanvas 15 4.7k 59 United Kingdom
2 Sep 2008 8:40PM
Just wondered what peoples thoughts were on this ... seems the 5D held its own in most areas and was a touch better in some against the new bit of kit from Nikon.

Is the rate of camera advancement slowing down or has it just taken Nikon a long time catch up?
csurry 19 9.2k 92
2 Sep 2008 8:47PM

Quote:Is the rate of camera advancement slowing down or has it just taken Nikon a long time catch up?

The latter!
Coleslaw 15 13.4k 28 Wales
2 Sep 2008 8:56PM
indeed...
Smile
Overread 12 4.1k 19 England
2 Sep 2008 8:57PM
I agree - canon held the lead for a good long while and only now is Nikon really getting into the lead - interestingly it often sounds like many canon users are willing to swap to nikon now even though the full lineup for this years is not announced -- I just wish it were true and there were really cheap 300mm f2.8s floating around Smile
redsnappa 18 2.8k United Kingdom
2 Sep 2008 9:06PM
It the image quality test (the one that really matters) the Canon 5D came ot tops in the AP test
2 Sep 2008 9:09PM

Quote:If Canon continue to chase more megapixels and bigger file sizes and Nikon keep improving low-light capabilities with acceptable high ISO performance you'd get users migrating in both directions.

Studio-bound commercial photographers doing double page spreads for glossy mags going Canon, people relying on natural light going Nikon.

which is almost opposite when lenses are considered - least wildlifers shift more to the canon lenses.

I wonder - if in the future wildlifers will end up either being nikonian or nikon body canon lensed with some nifty adtaptor that is worth using?
culturedcanvas 15 4.7k 59 United Kingdom
2 Sep 2008 9:19PM
Just shows how good the 5D is ... iconic infact. I had a few hours with the D700 at the weekend and it was outstanding though. I still prefer the simplicity and handling on the 5D but thats probably from familiarity ....

Im going to order a Canon 50D and it will be interesting to see the high ISO performance on the cropped sensor .. which should be impressive according to reports.

Canon need to upgrade some of their older lens designs too in my opinion though to make the most of the newer cameras.
2 Sep 2008 9:21PM
from what I have heard - early test shots show fantastic noise control of the 50D - but the shots are somewhat softer than ideal. Its still only one round of testing so there is still a lot more to go on in the world -
snapbandit 16 2.3k 3 Northern Ireland
2 Sep 2008 9:21PM

Quote:I still prefer the simplicity and handling on the 5D but thats probably from familiarity ....

I'd say it must be!!
Wink Wink
2 Sep 2008 9:24PM
I suspect canon and nikon have agreements not to make adaptors for each other - if they did they would start to lose their aimed niche markets. It would be great for photographers, but might not be the best for them - least that is what marketing tell them Wink
snapbandit 16 2.3k 3 Northern Ireland
2 Sep 2008 9:34PM
AFAIK adaptors (3rd party) are available to fit Nikon Lenses to Canon Cameras, but have not seen Canon to Nik adaptors.
Many years ago there were adaptors to fit Oly OM lenses to other cameras (or was it the other way round ?) but there was a problem fitting some makes as the mounts depth meant infinity focus was not achievable & the focussing distance marks were subsequently 'off'.

This, plus the electronics 'tooling' differences, may be a big obstacle to interchangability.

Joe B
stuwhitt 16 1.4k United Kingdom
2 Sep 2008 9:38PM

Quote:Is the rate of camera advancement slowing down

Absolutely not, though many suspect that sensor development is nearing its peak. Although it is rumoured that the 1DS MK IV will be a 50mp monster.
An interesting read here
2 Sep 2008 9:46PM
I just hope with all this MP madness and video addiction that FPS and buffers are kept up to size!
Too many times FPS is dropped or buffers are forgotten about
redsnappa 18 2.8k United Kingdom
2 Sep 2008 10:09PM

Quote:Is the rate of camera advancement slowing down

I agree, the fact that the state of the art d700 cannot match the 3year old Canon 5D's image quality show that is happening.

It's probably the accountants and marketing men at canon and nikon who are pushing for a pixel war, they know that certain people think more pixels = higher image quality.
cameracat 17 8.6k 61 Norfolk Island
2 Sep 2008 10:39PM

Quote:It the image quality test (the one that really matters) the Canon 5D came ot tops in the AP test

Does that not depend on what ISO your shooting at......!

Or How fast it's moving.......!

Or if it's raining.....!

Smile

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.