5D2 replacement

Coleslaw 14 13.4k 28 Wales
23 Feb 2012 9:28AM
Of course, until it is officially announced, it is still a rumour at the moment.
But I think it is pretty much true now:

Quote:5D Mark III/X
Below are the specs for the coming 5D replacement, the full name of the camera is currently unknown.
22mp
61pt AF
100% VF
3.2″ LCD
Dual CF/SD Card Slots
Price: Around $3500 USD
Announcement on February 27 or 28, 2012

I suspect maybe 2,500(?) which seems rather expensive to me, considering D800 is roughly that price. And that is probably 1,000 more expensive than the current 5D2.

Would you upgrade from whatever Canon you are using?
Or would you jump ship to Nikon? Wink

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed 9 4.6k 1 Scotland
23 Feb 2012 9:37AM
As I mentioned in another thread, here is what the Group Editor said in this month's Photography Monthly:

Quote:
"The Nikon D4 is impressive but not "wow". The D800 is a very shouty "WOW" for far less cash - I'd even say it is cheap for the potential it offers photographers. Not only has Nikon changed the game, they have taken the rule book, poured petrol on it, set it alight and lobbed it into Canon's back yard, whilst flicking the Vs at the same time. Perhaps it's time to change.."

strawman 15 22.1k 16 United Kingdom
23 Feb 2012 9:55AM
Hmm lets see the D800 in the real world and the 5DIII in the real world (if it exists). Compare the hypothetical 5DIII and the D800 apart from number of pixels how big is the difference. It does not sound that much to me.

Then cost up the lenses as you buy cameras and lenses. If the difference is number of pixels then stop and ask yourself in the real world can you use the extra pixels. Given the D800 maximum resolution as at wider than f11, and that you need to take greater care on focus accuracy and stability how different are they?

Me I would look to the real world results first.

If I give a parallel, many got excited about the FIAT500 twin air economy with its low lab emissions, but in the real world it delivers worse fuel economy than the old "on paper" inferior older engine.

Sorry I am just not convinced many of us need more resolution.
gary_k 14 75 England
23 Feb 2012 9:56AM
Having spent money on some L, I wont switch to Nikon in a hurry.
I baught my 20D when it had been out about a year, and the 7D after a similiar wait.
If I go full-frame with a 5D3, I will most likely wait til the price drops, especially as there's nothing wrong with the 7.

It's not long to go now, lets wait and see; 22MP is fine by me, especially if it offers low noise and dynamic range improvements, with an AF like the 7D.
JackAllTog Plus
10 5.7k 58 United Kingdom
23 Feb 2012 10:03AM
If i had the cash I'd upgrade my 60D in an instant to a 5Dmk3 ideally with the new 24-70mm lens.
But what may be more interesting to me is the idea that the 2nd hand 5Dmk2 market might offer me some options.

The other thing we see with all manufacturers is a very long delivery delay - i hope its not true for this camera as well.
I also very much look forward to the full spec list. and seeing how the new sensor performs with dynamic range and usable ISO.

I also think Canon has priced this camera above the D800 as it wants it to be viewed as better than the Nikon - whether it is or not remains to be seen.

Its still a very exciting "rumour" announcement so long after the 5Dmk2
LesF 13 182 9
23 Feb 2012 10:42AM

Quote: suspect maybe 2,500(?) which seems rather expensive to me, considering D800 is roughly that price. And that is probably 1,000 more expensive than the current 5D2.

Cole the Mk11 was a similar price when it first came out (2.5k), six months later is was under the 2k mark. I suspect the same will happen with both the D800 and the upgrade to the Mk11 Canon

Until the actual launch it's all still rummour about spec etc, so no point in getting over exicited, they will be plenty of threads on the Nikon v Canon once everything is out, yawn yawn
23 Feb 2012 10:48AM

Quote:so no point in getting over exicited

That's the point, Les, it is not exciting! LOL
23 Feb 2012 11:20AM
I think I am with JackAllTog - the Nikon looks spectacular but with L lenses that I have struggled to get Canon is where I will stay and having seen the results and used the 5D2......waiting for some to come on the market 2nd had seems an idea. ( I current l have the 1st 5D....and it still takes great images.)
Strvr
Lucian 9 562
23 Feb 2012 11:54AM
Are canon due to make an announcement at the end of this month? I would like a camera that had dual card slots as i would like 1 card to shoot raw and another to shoot jpeg. I was thinking about the canon 1dx but may get the mk3 if it is released.
LesF 13 182 9
23 Feb 2012 12:23PM
Cole we could go back to this thread, camera or photographer if we want to get really over excited LOL
23 Feb 2012 12:27PM
hehehehe.....
JackAllTog Plus
10 5.7k 58 United Kingdom
23 Feb 2012 12:30PM
Lucian - there is a site called canon rumours where lots of "speculation" happens - its been going on for ages but as cole says it looks like it might finally happen. 27th Feb and 2nd of March dates are maybe's for maybe a 5Dmk2 and maybe a new 600D replacement.
keithh 15 25.5k 33 Wallis And Futuna
23 Feb 2012 12:38PM
I've seen so many comments, especially in the last two years, about the slowing down; even the demise of the pixel race - Nikon announce 36mp and everybody starts wetting themselves without considering the money they will have to spend on lenses to drive the thing, let alone anything else.

Now we start to see all the Canon users panicking because they think their little black box is perhaps not the bees knees.
23 Feb 2012 12:55PM

Quote:I've seen so many comments, especially in the last two years, about the slowing down; even the demise of the pixel race

Aye, now we know they aren't true.....LOL
cameracat 15 8.6k 61 Norfolk Island
23 Feb 2012 1:13PM

Quote:Nikon announce 36mp and everybody starts wetting themselves without considering the money

LOL....Grin Bang on target as ever Keith.....Smile

I have creased up at some of the statements by some of the so called authorities, The cameraphiles, Or is that phobes, Whatever! It has been very entertaining....Smile

That said and to make a fair point in Nikons favour, I sent them my old D70 for a check up and sort out, Turns out it needed a " Re-bore " and a couple of new fuel injectors, Being and old and very ancient camera, They did not have any spare parts for a basic D70, So being clever little chaps, They stuffed some D70s parts into the poor thing.....Grin

Bottom line, Camera now works great, Just like new only it thinks its a D70s, This belief is backed up by my computers telling it that its a D70s too......Smile

My only complaint is that for some reason Nikon did not change the badge on the camera, It still has the original D70 one.....Sad The question is this, Do I accept the fact that people will think its an old D70, Or should I (A) Rip the badge off ( Common trick for cheap model BMW owners ) Or (B) Hope no one notices, With (C) If they do notice explain that its a special Nikon upgrade model.

Choices choices, Why is life so complex......Wink

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.