5D2 replacement

Coleslaw 14 13.4k 28 Wales
23 Feb 2012 1:17PM
Just get a tippex and add a 0....LOL

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

cambirder 16 7.2k England
23 Feb 2012 1:17PM
36 Mp is way more than I need, and however good a camera I would be put off buying one as I don't need all that file bloat or a new PC with enough guts to handle the massive files.

I think most of this is driven by marketing who know that big numbers sell stuff even to those who hardly ever produce prints above A4.
strawman 16 22.1k 16 United Kingdom
23 Feb 2012 1:18PM
I think the question to answer is what do you think will be better than your existing camera.

On a personal view when I look at the 5D II it is the AF system and camera functionality (e.g built in wireless flash) that is lacking not so much the resolution. So I read Keith's comments and agree

Quote:I've seen so many comments, especially in the last two years, about the slowing down; even the demise of the pixel race - Nikon announce 36mp and everybody starts wetting themselves without considering the money they will have to spend on lenses to drive the thing, let alone anything else.

Now we start to see all the Canon users panicking because they think their little black box is perhaps not the bees knees.

So having observed all this excitement I did some thinking and worked a few things out plus read Nikon's own publications. Is 36mp that big a change over 21mp. It is over 12mp. And suppose the 22mp camera had much lower noise, is it a better balance on the noise V's resolution curve.

my own feeling is a 5D MKIII as you describe selling at about 1,800 could be good, and may even be just as good if not better compromise.
23 Feb 2012 1:20PM

Quote:36 Mp is way more than I need, and however good a camera I would be put off buying one as I don't need all that file bloat or a new PC with enough guts to handle the massive files.

That is true also, as well as the lens issue.

Quote:my own feeling is a 5D MKIII as you describe selling at about 1,800 could be good

Yeap, that would be good.
mattw 16 5.2k 10 United Kingdom
23 Feb 2012 2:07PM

Quote:5D Mark III/X
Below are the specs for the coming 5D replacement, the full name of the camera is currently unknown.
22mp
61pt AF
100% VF
3.2″ LCD
Dual CF/SD Card Slots
Price: Around $3500 USD
Announcement on February 27 or 28, 2012

As a 5D2 owner, I am not looking for a new camera right now.

However these specs - if true - would interest me much more than a 34MP monster like the D800.

Taking the 5D2 as a base, I would much rather Canon increased the ISO performance still further than increase the pixel count. 34MP sounds impressive, but I'm not sure how much benifit it would provide in landscape terms without a set of expensive tilt/shift lenses.

Dual card slots and built in wireless transmitter would also be additions I would like to see. Not fussed about increasing the number of AF points (sometimes I think, keep it simple), although better AF tracking, and better performance when not using the central AF point are important upgrades
23 Feb 2012 2:20PM
Yeap, if by not increasing the mp in order to improve ISO performance, and together with the improved AF, it would be brill.
brian1208 16 11.6k 12 United Kingdom
23 Feb 2012 2:45PM
As I'm just getting used to how good my new 5Dmk2 is I don't think I could stand the excitement of either the 5Dmk3 or the Nikon 800!

(the fact that my wife would kill me anyway may also play a part Tongue )
Hugo 14 649 United Kingdom
23 Feb 2012 7:37PM
We never see a way of measuring the available dynamic range when comparing camera specs...That would be far more interesting. And a good selling point!
User_Removed 10 4.6k 1 Scotland
23 Feb 2012 8:54PM
I agree Hugo.. The Nikon D800 has HDR built in but, as far as I can see, no mathematical quantification of it. Presumably up to + or - 2EV.
photofrenzy 13 424 2 United Kingdom
25 Feb 2012 2:47AM

Quote:Of course, until it is officially announced, it is still a rumour at the moment.
But I think it is pretty much true now:

5D Mark III/X
Below are the specs for the coming 5D replacement, the full name of the camera is currently unknown.
22mp [/quote

Why would canon even bother releasing a newer 5d version with only 1mp differance over its predicessor.It doesnt make sence.
At 22MP as you stated in the original thread that isnt much of an improvement over the 5Dmk2 with 21mp so i would say B******T,As you said its only rumours

25 Feb 2012 9:37AM

Quote:

Why would canon even bother releasing a newer 5d version with only 1mp differance over its predicessor.It doesnt make sence.
At 22MP as you stated in the original thread that isnt much of an improvement over the 5Dmk2 with 21mp so i would say B******T,As you said its only rumours

There are many reasons for releasing new versions apart from Mp increases. Indeed, some recent upgrades have had fewer Mp than their predecessors. Some remained the same. For example, the Nikon D3s had the same 12 Mp as its predecessor but huge improvements to both the sensor and the processing engine that resulted in much better high-ISO performance.

What is exciting is to see different manufacturers going in different directions and some manufacturers going in several directions simultaneously. You have this with Nikon at present where the D4 has a fairly minimal Mp increase on the D3s while the D800 has a massive Mp increase on the D700 (but the D700 remains in production alongside both, effectively giving a choice of three quite different full-frame dSLRs aimed at amateur enthusiasts and professional photographers.

Mind you, until Canon's rumours are transmogrified into announcements, there will be an element of mystery. The other rumour is that the 5D Mk3 will have 50Mp.

discreetphoton Plus
15 3.5k 20 United Kingdom
25 Feb 2012 9:50AM
All I want from a camera is the low-light performance of the D3s in a body with the same footprint as the D300. I'm quite happy with 12mp. In fact, most times I'm perfectly happy with my D300; it's just the odd times where I want to mix my flash with near-dark ambience.
25 Feb 2012 9:50AM
....by the way, why can't we get a proper UK English spell check on ePz?

The way it wants to change colour and rumour into mispelled American variations really pishes me off. Bloody hell - it even wants to change "pishes" into "pisses". !
discreetphoton Plus
15 3.5k 20 United Kingdom
25 Feb 2012 9:52AM
Um, we don't have a spell-check. But your browser does, so you may want to change its dictionary.
1 Mar 2012 11:02AM
Another predicted announcement date come and gone....

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.