62 to repair my 18-125mm OS HSM (Canon fit)

duratorque 16 427 United Kingdom
30 Sep 2010 10:23PM
I am annoyed. The lens is just out of warranty and I am getting error99 every now and then. I sent the lens back and got a quote for 93 to repair the interrupter. Its my travel lens and I don't use it very much. So I called them arguing the repair should be free since its so new and not used much. Their final offer is to cut the cost to 62 which I took up. Has anyone else suffer problem with relatively new lens from Sigma? Or is it a one off?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

mohikan22 16 2.3k 2 United Kingdom
30 Sep 2010 10:46PM
i have the exact same lens and as of tonight its still working ok.. but i will keep ana eye on it and this thread......
PS. 4 weeks old..
Alan_Warriner 14 545 England
30 Sep 2010 11:04PM
I'm pretty sure that under the sale of goods act (assuming you're in the UK) you can have an item repaired (or replaced?) if it fails outside the warranty period if the item would normally be expected to have a long useable life (like a lens)

Link

Consumer advice may be the way to go

I'm sure a barrister will be along shortly Smile
Alan_Warriner 14 545 England
30 Sep 2010 11:10PM
1 Oct 2010 7:36AM
Thank, I will take it up with them again. Yes, I am based in the UK and had sent the lens back to Sigma Imaging UK.
davereet 15 431 United Kingdom
1 Oct 2010 12:19PM
Slightly off topic, Sony wanted 176 to fix 21 month old E Reader that would have cost 160 to replace, bought a Kindle to replace it.
I think some of these companies are quite happy to sell use things but when it comes to aftercare they take the mickey.

Ex Sony customer
classcams 10 117
1 Oct 2010 7:27PM
Years ago using film I had a couple of Sigma lens. They were just starting and the lens were rubbish. When I started DSLR I purchased a zoom sigma lens. Never really used it but one day I thought that I would try it. I heard the motor running but it would not focus. So I gave it to a mate for free,who part stripped it and found a gear tooth broken,so he glued it in. been Ok since. Moral of the story is, buy a good brand.
glsammy 13 209 1 United Kingdom
22 Oct 2010 10:51PM

Quote:Years ago using film I had a couple of Sigma lens. They were just starting and the lens were rubbish. When I started DSLR I purchased a zoom sigma lens. Never really used it but one day I thought that I would try it. I heard the motor running but it would not focus. So I gave it to a mate for free,who part stripped it and found a gear tooth broken,so he glued it in. been Ok since. Moral of the story is, buy a good brand.

To balance this view, I've had two repairs on my Bigma lens over the years, one of which was outside the normal warranty period. Sigma picked up the bill for these repairs, without me asking them to. I'd contacted them for a quote for the repair and they offered to do it free of charge.
Now if you want to talk about quality control, that's another matter entirely!Wink
Snapper Plus
15 4.5k 3 United States Outlying Islands
22 Oct 2010 11:12PM
Sigma still seem to offer a 3 year warranty for a lens supplied via Sigma UK, so maybe the OP can come back and tell us if that is the case with his? I think most of us would realise we're not going to get far with a fault on a 3 year old Canon/Nikon/whatever lens that only had a 1 year warranty, so it's interesting that we seem to be criticising Sigma after they've given 3 times the warranty of the big camera makers?
theorderingone 16 2.4k
22 Oct 2010 11:34PM

Quote:Sigma still seem to offer a 3 year warranty for a lens supplied via Sigma UK,

Only on EX lenses as I understand.
Snapper Plus
15 4.5k 3 United States Outlying Islands
22 Oct 2010 11:43PM
We're maybe both right just now Gary as it looks as thought there is a current deal that isn't restricted to EX lenses.
theorderingone 16 2.4k
22 Oct 2010 11:45PM
Ah, I hadn't seen that. The lens needs to be registered though for the extended guarantee to be valid.
Overread 11 4.1k 19 England
23 Oct 2010 12:08AM
I thought all UK warranties (though the EU) were now 2 years by default even though many shops don't like to talk about this fact?

On top of that you have the sigma 3 year warranty - it should be a simple case of registering the lenses registration code with sigma's database (might be online options or a number/email to send the details to); that is if you've lost the original warranty card from the box. You might need your receipt or get your shop where you purchased it to print you another (since so many receipts these days have a hard time lasting a few months let alone a year before the ink rubs off)
1 Dec 2010 9:38AM
To cut a long story short, I had the lens repaired by Sigma, took it on holiday and the same fault is still there. They adjusted the interrupter according to their document. I know its an intermittent fault, but they should be able to sort it out. I've sent it back again for them to repair. Up to now I had no problem with Sigma lenses and have 3 of them. Now, I am not sure I will buy another one.
KenTaylor 15 3.1k 2 United Kingdom
1 Dec 2010 1:38PM
You do get a `lemon` even with the best of lenses .
What the retailers don't tell you is this
http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/bargains-and-rip-offs/article.html?in_article_id=487304&in_page_id=5

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.