Amazon Kindle Unlimited Offer: 1-Month For FREE!

7D or 1D MK2n

PeteBrown 12 80 England
15 Jan 2010 10:34AM
Has anybody compaired the 7d with the 1d mk2n as far as the autofocus system is concerned. I can see that the 7d has a much higher mp and is 1.6 rather than 1.3 so guess the 7d in theory would be the better camera for sport and wildlife as its more up to date but then the 1d mk2n is a pro cam. I have a 5d mk2 for all other forms of photography.
Coleslaw 15 13.4k 28 Wales
15 Jan 2010 10:41AM
Why not consider 1D3 instead of 1D2N? if you look hard enough, you can get it secondhand for couple of hundreds pound more than 7D new, I think.
User_Removed 19 7.3k 6 United Kingdom
15 Jan 2010 10:55AM
I know when I was a Canon man the general consensus was that the AF of the 1D2-N was far better than that of the 1D 3 especially for in flight photography and other rapidly moving subjects.

However, this has to be balanced against the high pixel count and better image processing engine of the 1D3 over the 1D2-N

It's not going to be an easy call this one I'm afraid
Coleslaw 15 13.4k 28 Wales
15 Jan 2010 10:57AM
Hmmm.... thats something I didn't know.... Smile
User_Removed 19 7.3k 6 United Kingdom
15 Jan 2010 11:00AM
There used to be lots of references to this when the 1D3 AF issue was big news.... there are quite a few wildlife photographers on a well know nature photography website who still use the 1D2N

My experience of the 1D3 (and I mentioned it on here often enough) was that there was nothing wrong with the AF and it was all "Emperor's New Clothes" however, after my change to another brand, the improvement was so marked it looks like everyone else was right after all Grin

Mind you, the 1D3 image quality is really excellent and I am sure there must be plenty of bargains around (or will be soon) with the Mark 4 becoming available
PeteBrown 12 80 England
15 Jan 2010 11:25AM
I had a mk3 and it deff had probs with birds in flight so dont want to go back down that road again, just thought the 7d with its dual processors and 18mp was worth concidering especially as the 1dmk2n's are getting a bit old now and it may be difficult getting one that hasn't been abused.
cambirder 17 7.2k England
15 Jan 2010 11:36AM
I just sold my 1D mk 2, and bought a 7D. I have not had an opportunity to shoot anything moving yet, but I have tried out servo with a 100mm f2.8L connected to it and it does seem to be able to track fast enough to handle any back and forth motion that you get hand holding at 1:1, Cant wait to try it out with some dragonflies in flight.
LensYews 12 1.3k 1 United Kingdom
15 Jan 2010 1:41PM
I was considering a 1d3 and asked the folks at work (one of the news agencies) who test the new cameras about the best way to set it up for sport and the recommendation I got back was to go for a 7d instead as the AF system was much better, or a 1d4 if I could afford it.
motoads 13 14 Australia
15 Jan 2010 2:47PM
I usually bite my tongue, but here goes...

If I laid down three images of the same scene, taken with the same lens on the three bodies you have described... would you be able to identify a) the best image of the three or b) which body took which image?

Unlikely...

Woould you miss a shot on the 5d mk2 because of auto focus issues, that you would not have missed if you used a 1d3?

Unlikely...

Check out the first two images of Valentino Rossi in my portfolio... I took these with a 5 year old Nikon D50 in October 2009. The D50 is an entry level camera. The lens I used to get these images was the base level soft as a runny egg yolk 70 - 300 Dx lens... not the VR, the 299 AUD base level lens...

I think it's a reasonable result Smile

With all due respect, here is my suggestion...

The 5d mk2 is a reasonably new, up to date camera. So, take the money you would use for a body upgrade and

a) buy a first class lens, although I suspect you already have one or two of those...

b) transport yourself to a destination where the people, culture or landscape present you with a myriad of great photo ops

or finally c) hire models, buy photoshop or camera tutorials or purchase some nice lighting gear

No offense intended here Smile
PeteBrown 12 80 England
16 Jan 2010 9:49AM
Thanks Motoads no offense taken mate but I am looking for a second body. The idea is to use my 5d mk2 with the 70-200 2.8 for closer shots and a second body with a 300 2.8 on it for the longer shots, mainly football, rugby etc.
johnbarrow 11 55 France
16 Jan 2010 11:00AM
A 5d mkii for sports ? , what sports, indoors only, because outside it rains and the 5dmkii is about as waterproof as a bag of brown paper prawn crackers from the Chinese takeaway.
The 7d looks to have the same basic sealing as that 5dmkii, next to useless.
16 Jan 2010 1:47PM

Quote:he 7d looks to have the same basic sealing as that 5dmkii, next to useless.

Do you have any real experience to back up that statement?

This guy
has put both cameras through a rather extreme test and both came out unscathed
16 Jan 2010 2:07PM
As for the focus tracking have a look at this.
brian1208 17 11.8k 12 United Kingdom
16 Jan 2010 2:23PM
remarkable - but I don't think I will try that with mine! Wink
16 Jan 2010 3:38PM
Me neither, the snows gone and I don't have a dog Smile

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.