Amazon Music Unlimited Offer: 1-Month For FREE!

7D or 1D MK2n

Coleslaw 15 13.4k 28 Wales
16 Jan 2010 4:30PM
Excellent, I wish my dogs are that obedient, and my 5D2 is as good as 7D on those departments....Smile
chinny 16 492 United Kingdom
16 Jan 2010 9:18PM

Quote:The 7d looks to have the same basic sealing as that 5dmkii, next to useless

Looks like my crackers are in a plastic bag Smile
samfurlong 14 2.5k United Kingdom
16 Jan 2010 10:36PM
Interesting one..

I used to have a couple of MK2N's, now I have MK3's and a single 7D.

There were a lot of problems with the MK3 to start with so I waited a year before getting them. A correctly working MK3 is as good if not better AF than pretty much anything else on the market - it's just the amount of bad ones that were around when they were first launched have destroyed the cameras reputation.

A correctly working MK3 is my first choice for action, the 7D and MK2N are fairly even in terms of AF performance but the 2N edges it because the system is more customizable.

Image quality wise, the 2N is a number of years old and while very good upto 1600 ISO, more modern cameras leave it standing.
I have been pleased with the 7D, very much so, but the expected gulf in image quality over the 1D3 which is 2 years old and has 8MP less is simply not there.

I was astonished when I found recently that the 1D3 files are actually a fair bit cleaner than the 7D and also withstand cropping so much better that it actually pretty much cancels out the 'advantage' of the 1.6 crop and the extra megapixels.
I discussed and tested this out at length with a friend subsequently and our results were so convincing that he has reconsidered his decision to buy a 7D and is going to the a secondhand MK3 and just send it off to canon wen he gets it to make sure the AF is all ship shape before he starts using it...

Perhaps this may be a good route to go??
LensYews 12 1.3k 1 United Kingdom
16 Jan 2010 11:39PM
Oh, Sam, I'd had moved away from the mkIII as an option, but you've put it right back there again now. Smile

I guess the question for me is the 7d good enough. Looking at Ole's latest post as well as the shoot with the dogs earlier I think the answer might be Yes. If it can cope with seabirds in flight using AI servo and expanded 4 point AF, then it should be capable for UK equestrian sports for me.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.